Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Possible UARS Sufferer?
RE: Possible UARS Sufferer?
I just wanted to mention that I think FLs can cause problems even when they don't cause RERAs. Breathing with flow limitations is hard work, which is tiring in itself, and my suspicion is that this can also prevent the normal progression of sleep stages with adequate restorative REM and deep sleep.

In my experience, I rarely saw RERAs even when I had a busy FL graph, but when I knocked the FLs way down with my beloved VAuto, I felt distinctly more rested.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point Dormeo.

Makes sense. An arousal, after all, is merely one sleep stage transition; to wake. But if your broader sleep architecture is screwed up, that's not good either.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, so I set the CPAP to 9 last night and it looks like I got better peaks in my flow rate. Also my flow limit decreased a from .10 to 0.7. However, my CA's went up. See attachments. One is from CPAP = 6 and the other is CPAP =8.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The screenshots indicate 6 and 8.

I would try Geer1's suggestion of 7, EPR 3, on auto with a max of 10 or 12. This would be to see what the great EPR does to your FL and CAs.

On the CAs, do you know if you were awake around any of those?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2020, 07:02 AM)slowriter Wrote: The screenshots indicate 6 and 8.

I would try Geer1's suggestion of 7, EPR 3, on auto with a max of 10 or 12. This would be to see what the great EPR does to your FL and CAs.

I'll give that go tonight. 

I was not up during those periods. I only woke up once at 2am.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2020, 07:02 AM)slowriter Wrote: The screenshots indicate 6 and 8.

OK, heres my data with those settings last night. Flow rate has better peaks and flow limitations are down a tad. I get my aircruve in today.  Cool

Imgur Snapshots

[Image: NGjqTzO]
[Image: aD4SPI5]
Post Reply Post Reply
Those settings on your autoset will translate to the following on the VAuto:
  • min EPAP = 4
  • PS = 3
So in terms of the math, PS adds pressure on top of EPAP, and EPR subtracts it from IPAP.

Standard titration protocol for bilevel is to start at PS 4. You can try that if you like for a few days, and see how you do (for example, with CAs)?
Post Reply Post Reply
Please always post the whole night of data. For example we can't see why your pressure maxed out of 10 early in the night although in this case it is likely safe to assume due to flow limitations.

Can you post a zoomed in shot two minute duration showing the period of high flow limitations at 00:55?

I agree with trying min EPAP 4 and PS 4 on the aircurve.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2020, 10:48 AM)Geer1 Wrote: Please always post the whole night of data. For example we can't see why your pressure maxed out of 10 early in the night although in this case it is likely safe to assume due to flow limitations.

Can you post a zoomed in shot two minute duration showing the period of high flow limitations at 00:55?

I agree with trying min EPAP 4 and PS 4 on the aircurve.

Hi Geer1,

Here are the requested screen shots: https://imgur.com/a/74jGseq

-Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
That is an example where it seems the increasing pressure did help. PS 4 on the vauto will help a fair bit and we will see what the machine does for pressure.

We don't want min epap too high but after the first few nights on vauto we will check if it should be increased a bit. It does look like your flow limitations come and go(looks to me like they might be worse in rem which is common) so vauto mode with fluctuating pressures is probably the way to go in your case so that you can use lower pressures most of the time and get higher pressure when needed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 911 1 hour ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 151 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 54 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 610 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 193 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 78 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.