Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Possible options for iphone storage space
RE: Possible options for iphone storage space
Update: I've been "looking" for a replacement iphone for my old 5s and it is safe to say that at this time of year, they are more scarce than "hens teeth." I am hoping that after Christmas maybe people will be trading in their older model iphone for a newer model. My old phone still works, thank goodness, and I hope it continues for a while. Merry Christmas to you folks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(11-28-2018, 06:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: All iPhones have the Find My iPhone app in Settings/iCloud.  A user must turn off that function for a phone that they own and want to sell.  This wipes the phone's data,setting and all personalized information, including apps and images.  Once done, the phone shows a welcome screen in different languages, and prompts you to select a language, wifi network, etc.  This phone can be configured to any new user.

You should backup your phone to iCloud or a personal computer before turning off Find My iPhone for that device.  It will be easy to restore any new iPhone from that backup.  iCloud makes this really easy.  

Phones may be locked to a particular carrier like Verizon, ATT, Sprint, etc, or may be an unlocked device.  Do an internet search for "how to know an iphone is unlocked".  If that does not answer the question, let us know.  Most people selling a phone tell you the network it is configured for, or specify unlocked.  Be sure to ge one for your carrier of choice, or an unlocked phone.  You will be able to swap your SIM card from the 5S to the new phone and it will activate on your phone network.

Sleeprider ~ Perhaps a foolish question, but do most pre-owned iphones listed on ebay or Amazon come without a SIM card?  Or is that information stated in the phone's description?
Post Reply Post Reply
Most phones are sold without a SIM card which is usually supplied by your mobile phone provider to identify the phone and enable it to make calls on their system. SIM stands for Subscriber Identity Module, and any one that sells a phone removes it and keeps it. If you have one from an older phone, just insert it in the new phone, and it should work with your phone number and your contacts and other information will be there. If you need a new SIM card, just ask your provider.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2019, 03:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Most phones are sold without a SIM card which is usually supplied by your mobile phone provider to identify the phone and enable it to make calls on their system.  SIM stands for Subscriber Identity Module, and any one that sells a phone removes it and keeps it.  If you have one from an older phone, just insert it in the new phone, and it should work with your phone number and your contacts and other information will be there.  If you need a new SIM card, just ask your provider.

Thank You, I have learned much from the members here.   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(01-10-2019, 03:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Most phones are sold without a SIM card which is usually supplied by your mobile phone provider to identify the phone and enable it to make calls on their system.  SIM stands for Subscriber Identity Module, and any one that sells a phone removes it and keeps it.  If you have one from an older phone, just insert it in the new phone, and it should work with your phone number and your contacts and other information will be there.  If you need a new SIM card, just ask your provider.

I have finally ordered a "certified refurbished" phone from my phone carrier which is supposed to have more phone storage.  I have backed up my present phone to the icloud.  Ideally I have to 'activate' the new, refurbished phone once it arrives and then download the info from the icloud (I hope that is the way it works).  So afraid something will go wrong in the above process.  Had more than my share of problems with the first phone I bought.  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you setup a language and connect to wifi, the phone will ask whether to setup as a new iPhone or restore from backup. Just choose the restore option, and your phone should have all your old apps, passwords, and other connections. Be sure you have your iTunes and iCloud account information and passwords. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2019, 05:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Once you setup a language and connect to wifi, the phone will ask whether to setup as a new iPhone or restore from backup. Just choose the restore option, and your phone should have all your old apps, passwords, and other connections.  Be sure you have your iTunes and iCloud account information and passwords.  Good luck.

I am a bit frustrated with the things this phone (iphone 7) will not do for me, in spite of the fact it works ok in other areas.  It will NOT allow me to send anything but a short, simple text message to an android phone.  This means I can no longer share a photo or a short video.  I have looked online (Youtube) for solutions and although there are plenty of solutions, none of them work.  My grandson who is 18, lives in another state, has a iphone 8 CAN send photos to an android phone, but I cannot.  He cannot tell me how he does it, it just happens.  I am beginning to regret ever having purchased an iphone.  I am going to try and reach someone from Apple soon to see if my situation is hopeless or not.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I don't think it makes any difference what kind of phone you are sending to. The messages app can access your camera or photo library and send images in a message. Your email app should also be able to send images, and if you use something like Facebook messenger, that will also work. The iPhone will not Facetime with Android, but images should be no problem.

In Settings you can change some options for the Messaging app. Be sure to turn on "Send as SMS" when iMessage is not available. This may resolve your issue. There is also an option to turn on low-quality image mode which will reduce the image resolution and size if you have a limited data plan or slow connection; otherwise I would leave that off.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be the cellular plan that your are on. Some will limit the features available to you, Mine advertised video calling but that is only available on the "Unlimited" plan. , , for a nominal fee.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: Thursday afternoon/evening I spent 4+ hrs first with Apple and then with Boost Mobile tech support. It was not until 'after' I posted a negative comment on Facebook Boost Mobile page that I was able to 'chat' with someone who knew what the heck they were doing. It turns out that Boost Mobile phones, no matter whether they are iphone or android, their SIM cards are not interchangeable. Lucky for me I still had the SIM card that came with the phone originally. Someone from Boost Mobile - back when I got the phone told me if I wanted to keep the same phone number, I needed to remove the SIM card from my old iphone 5S and put it into the iphone 7. Turns out that was erroneous information. My phone now works much better than before - still a few minor quirks that I can put up with. Morale of the story is to keep in touch with carrier and if the first person gives you bad advice, ask for another.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone having trouble with ATT email on their iPhone today? justMongo 1 659 07-13-2017, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Thumbsup [News] James Web Space Telescope Launch justMongo 4 930 02-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Effers
  iPhone question GrammaBear 5 922 01-18-2017, 04:14 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  iOS 10 out tommorrow -- upgrade an iPhone 6? justMongo 25 2,232 09-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Rant - Want to throw IPhone out the window 49er 12 2,287 01-02-2016, 04:59 AM
Last Post: 49er
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 1,059 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  Reminder: Shift in Space/Time Continuum jgjones1972 8 2,956 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Last Post: cbramsey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.