Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Possible treatment for central sleep apnea
RE: Possible treatment for central sleep apnea
I'm interested in any discussion about CSA. Most people have OSA so when there's talk about CSA, I'm all ears. So much is not known about CSA. I have it along with a few OSA's on the sleep study. I'm very interested in learning if 'fat' amounts in diet can be important information for us with CSA. Like the OP, I've never done drugs, haven't had a stroke or heart attack that I'm aware of and the RX's I use now are not indicators for CSA. I've stopped taking Rx for RLS about one month ago and incredibly, I'm symptom free right now. I'm taking an iron supplement, getting B12 shots for last two months or so. Perhaps its helping, perhaps not.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a study that looked at the relationship between food intake and sleep patterns in healthy individuals: "Relationship between Food Intake and Sleep Pattern in Healthy Individuals" by Cibele Aparecida Crispim, Ph.D., et. al. Google it to find the link

They suggest a negative correlation between early evening ingestion of fats and sleep quality. I wouldn't read too deeply into this for the following reasons. First, they were testing healthy people, not people with sleep apnea. Second, it doesn't specify what type of fats they used.

One point I would take from this study is that it clearly demonstrates that what you eat and when can affect your sleep quality.

But in the end what counts is how YOU feel and what works for YOU. If coconut oil is helping your sleep quality then I would certainly continue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2013, 07:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I hope you continue your study and you keep us up to date on how it is going.

Hi cruzer43,

Thanks.

I also hope you continue your study and you keep us up to date on how it is going.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Noteworthy:

I am now tracking O2 desaturations vs CA events as flagged by the ResMed S9.
So far I have had no desaturations at all with any CA events.
All the drops in O2 I am getting thus far are associated with *hypopnea* events!

So I am still watching for a CA event that lasts more than 10 seconds with a 10% or better drop in O2.

I suppose this is good news for me thus far. (no dain-bramage has set in yet)

The only other thing I am getting is CA events sometimes occurring in clusters (between 5:00am and 6:00am)
Then again they are over with so fast that there is no change in O2 saturation.
Anyone else notice this effect?

Clueless in the Florida Swamps.

=o.O=

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 08:55 PM)AuntElizabeth Wrote: I'm interested in any discussion about CSA. Most people have OSA so when there's talk about CSA, I'm all ears.

There are some of us who have "mixed" apnea Shy a hybrid of sorts between obstructive and central apneas. This can even happen while I'm awake although not often. Breathing is of course usually an automatic process but I find I have to force a breath at times. Of course I don't have this luxury while I'm asleep. Do I have awake apnea as well? Luckily this doesn't happen often but I have experienced it. I never discussed this with the doctor.

Quote:So much is not known about CSA. I have it along with a few OSA's on the sleep study.

Glad it was noted. The fools who did my last sleep study declared the "new" CPAP pressure was the same as it was before (8) and I kept on having problems. It seems like the guy doing the sleep study was also asleep. After borrowing an S8 AutoSet I learned that my numbers were all over the map depending on the date with no real consistency. What's my point? Huh That CSA doesn't seem to be recognized or acknowledged at times.

Quote:I'm very interested in learning if 'fat' amounts in diet can be important information for us with CSA

I believe I mentioned this recently, that losing weight and/or fat consumption is highly over rated and if it has any effect at all with OSA, it seems like CSA isn't affected.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2013, 10:15 AM)Shastzi Wrote: The only other thing I am getting is CA events sometimes occurring in clusters (between 5:00am and 6:00am)

=o.O=

I am having the same clusters at around the same time. They don't happen every day; about once or twice a week seems to be the pattern. I bought an oximeter but haven't managed to use it on nights that matched with these patterns.

I asked my pulmonologist/ sleep doc about it this morning. He said he had no idea to explain why it seems to occur consistently in the morning with no other apparent ill effects. He was very interested in seeing the ResScan reports that showed the events.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get clusters like that sometimes, too. It may coincide with the sun coming up!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2013, 08:52 PM)aehjr Wrote:
(02-24-2013, 10:15 AM)Shastzi Wrote: The only other thing I am getting is CA events sometimes occurring in clusters (between 5:00am and 6:00am)

I am having the same clusters at around the same time. They don't happen every day; about once or twice a week seems to be the pattern. I bought an oximeter but haven't managed to use it on nights that matched with these patterns.

I asked my pulmonologist/ sleep doc about it this morning. He said he had no idea to explain why it seems to occur consistently in the morning with no other apparent ill effects. He was very interested in seeing the ResScan reports that showed the events.

Hi all,

Reducing or turning off the EPR setting (or the Pressure Support setting if using a bi-level machine) can sometimes reduce the incidence of CA events.

Quite a few folks who do not use ASV type machines have reported that turning off EPR significantly reduced the number of CA events they were having, sometimes to less than half. (ASV type machines are different and need a large Pressure Support setting in order to be effective in treating central apneas.)

On my S9 VPAP Auto machine, eventually I adjusted the PS down to 0.2 cmH2O. The only reason I didn't go completely to zero is because I sometimes found it helpful (when analyzing the data waveforms) to be able to tell (by the slight difference in the pressure waveform) when the machine considered me to have been inhaling versus exhaling.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am currently running with EPR off, since the S9 seems to breathe ok without it, for me anyhow.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Do you have any Zeo data corresponding with these events?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 122 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,662 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,550 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 224 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 191 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 216 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.