Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Post-radiation changes... help requested
Post-radiation changes... help requested
The muscles in my throat and the base of my tongue have atrophied significantly following radiation treatments. That changes everything. Giving the S9 VPAP Auto its head, obstructive events are nearly eliminated at much lower pressures. Central events have taken their place, and I can't find any settings that reduce them. My S9 has outlived its motor life, and I no longer trust it. I need a new machine. Recommendations? When is an ASV a good fit?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Post-radiation changes... help requested
Your OSCAR charts will help us understand what is going on, please post them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do. I'll start by downloading and getting familiar with OSCAR...
Post Reply Post Reply
My S9 requires me to delete the detailed data from the card each time the card is inserted. As a result, I have no data to show you. Only summaries. I'll have to go back to using the S9 to get the data you requested. Why isn't OSCAR showing the centrals?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
either you disabled them or they never existed in this profile,

and I never heard of an s9 requiring you to delete data to insert it.
Post Reply Post Reply
REMember - The S9 does NOT like the System Volume information file that Windows writes to any removable device.   You will either need to write-protect your SD card before inserting it into your PC, or disable this function.  Here are some files that will allow you to turn it off or back on this option.

Download Link to: System Volume Disable/Enable Zip File

Note: Depending on your version of Windows, this file may not work.  If it still writes this file to your card, let me know.  I will proceed with Plan-B.
One more thing; Some newer USB-SD card readers, to reduce their cost, are not installing the write-protect micro-switch sensor.  Even if you set the write-protect switch on the SD card, your computer may still write this file.

Update: I found the other file and have included it here. You will need to run this file as Administrator in a Windows PowerShell window.

Windows System Mod Utility Download
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your image with very limited information is accurate, your current pressure is EPAP min 13.6, maximum pressure 16.8, and you are not using pressure support. You indicate most events are central. I hope the next chart is more informative and includes the daily details. I have some thoughts that we need to reduce your pressure, add back some pressure support and make your therapy a lot more comfortable. If you are willing to let me take a "blind-stab" at helping, then my suggestion is as follows:
Mode: VPAP auto
EPAP min: 7.0
Maximum pressure 14.0
PS 3.0

This setting gives you the advantages of bilevel pressure at much lower starting pressures and allows pressure to be raised in response to any obstruction. If central apnea increase, we can cut back on PS or use a high trigger sensitivity, which can really help with low-level CA events. If your airway has atrophied, then obstruction is much less likely, and these lower pressure should provide adequate stent. I wish we had better information to work with, but if you want to give this a try, it can't do much harm. Is there a reason you have not updated your machine? Insurance issues?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks, Crimson Nape. I'll give it a try.

I just downloaded OSCAR, and that's the data as displayed. ResScan breaks down the data for that unusual night as an AHI of 1.5 with a central component of 1.5

Many thanks for your help, Sleeprider! I'll set it up that way tonight and get some data. I have no insurance other than SS, and money's tight. I also thought I was sitting on two bricks for backup until I tried to fire them up.

The attachments show some data from ResScan for that same night. Sorry about the poor quality photos.

My history, in a nutshell. I was diagnosed in '96 with an AHI of 107. The next 3 studies all showed AHIs near 120. A post-radiation study showed an AHI of 31. My pressure has been as high as 19.5 in the past, and central events just started showing up in the last few months. I'll be back with some data.

Post Reply Post Reply
No revisions in my suggested pressure. You don't have obstructive events, and we need to look at a lower range to increase comfort and the pressure support will help with the flow limits I'm seeing. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning, all.

Here is last night's data. After 26 years at higher pressure settings, a low setting of 7 last night felt very strange indeed.

And locking the SD card worked. Many thanks, Crimson Nape.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 114 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,809 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 168 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  First post, provider is not much help. DPAlaska 2 269 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DPAlaska
  [CPAP] New User Struggling - PSG and CPAP Data Post PSG1 4 2,112 01-08-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.