Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Power Failure
Power Failure
I woke up this morning and was having some difficulty breathing then I noticed my machine was off. I took off my mask and realized the blizzard had locked out the power. I imported my data into sleepyhead and if the times are correct I was asleep for two hours and 30 min with the machine off.

Has anyone had this happen?
Is it dangerous?
Do any machines have a battery backup or a wake up alarm when the power goes off?
HuhsignShockHuhsignShockHuhsign
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Power Failure
Has anyone had this happen? Yes, common in some parts of the country.
Is it dangerous? No more so than sleeping without your machine.

Do any machines have a battery backup Most people who live in power loss prone areas have worked out a backup solution. There have been many threads about how to go about it. There is not a "one size fits all" solution. It depends on anticipated power failure time (minutes, hours, days?) And, does one want automatic switch-over.

or a wake up alarm when the power goes off? Not that I know of. But, you can buy power failure alarms that even include a light. I run an O2 concentrator that does have a power failure alarm built in.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of us wake up without PAP pretty quickly. Your mask has an anti-asphyxia valve and being asleep without power is not dangerous, at least not any more so than sleeping without therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='0rangebear' pid='154923' dateline='1458774446']
I woke up this morning and was having some difficulty breathing then I noticed my machine was off. I took off my mask and realized the blizzard had locked out the power. I imported my data into sleepyhead and if the times are correct I was asleep for two hours and 30 min with the machine off.

Is it dangerous?
Do any machines have a battery backup or a wake up alarm when the power goes off?
:
I have had similar experiences with no ill effects, and I have almost always awakened quicklywhen the power went off. CPAP masks are vented, so the user is not likely to suffocate if there is an outage, though breathing is a bit more difficult.
If you are concerned that a power loss will harm you, there are rather inexpensive battery powered alarm devices to wake the user that just plug into the wall outlet and give a noisy alarm if power is lost. I found one on line for about $12. or so, but now I don't bother to use it

TheDuke

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
2004-Bon Jovi

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2016, 06:43 PM)TheDuke Wrote: [quote='0rangebear' pid='154923' dateline='1458774446']

Is it dangerous?
:
I have had similar experiences with no ill effects, and I have almost always awakened quicklywhen the power went off. CPAP masks are vented, so the user is not likely to suffocate if there is an outage, though breathing is a bit more difficult.
If you are concerned that a power loss will harm you, there are rather inexpensive battery powered alarm devices to wake the user that just plug into the wall outlet and give a noisy alarm if power is lost. I found one on line for about $12. or so, but now I don't bother to use it

TheDuke

I have a Radon/Carbon monoxide detectors well as smoke alarms that were beeping when I woke up. But apparently none of them woke me or my wife up. Maybe, I should put my APAP on battery backup system like my computer. I will look into louder plug-in Alarm systems.

2004-Bon Jovi

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2016, 06:32 PM)justMongo Wrote: Has anyone had this happen? Yes, common in some parts of the country.
Is it dangerous? No more so than sleeping without your machine.

Do any machines have a battery backup Most people who live in power loss prone areas have worked out a backup solution. There have been many threads about how to go about it. There is not a "one size fits all" solution. It depends on anticipated power failure time (minutes, hours, days?) And, does one want automatic switch-over.

or a wake up alarm when the power goes off? Not that I know of. But, you can buy power failure alarms that even include a light. I run an O2 concentrator that does have a power failure alarm built in.

My situation is a bit atypical as I would never sleep on my back without the APAP on. I am a stomach sleeper who holds his pillow in his arms and I buries his face in it. When sleeping in that position I have zero AHIO with the test at home kit. The sleep clinic was unable to test in that position.

Until I started therapy I never slept on my back because I have always had difficulty breathing when I lay flat on my back. I was put on APAP therapy to "learn" to sleep on my back, since hospitalization usually requires you to be a back sleeper.

I was surprised that I did not wake up for 2 1/2 hours on my back and this is the first time I have ever woke up gasping for air.

2004-Bon Jovi

Post Reply Post Reply
You have many choices for power failure alarm.
And, if you are handy with electronics, you are only limited by your imagination (and wallet) as to how to implement power loss alarm.

Audio alerts do not work well for me. My stepson set off our home alarm that has a 35 Watt siren -- I slept right through it.
So, I added a Blue Strobe light to the alarm system.

Best stationary battery backup solution I've seen proposed here was by OMMOHY.
A 35 A-Hr SLA scooter battery, a Super PWRgate PG40s, a HAM radio switching supply for float charge, and running the Remed directly through the 12 to 24V power converter. I think OMMOHY has a PR machine and doesn't need the 12 to 24 conversion.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Contrary to many of the above reports, I find it an awful experience to wake up with no power and much worse than sleeping without a mask at all. I find it extremely difficult to breathe with the mask on without pressure and wake up with that awful suffocating feeling. I'm not sure if it's dangerous, because I seem to wake up immediately after it goes off, but if I didn't then I'm not sure what would happen.

There are many power backup solutions. Just do a search at any one of the approved suppliers listed on the board.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I put on my mask and hook it up to my machine I can breath normally. When I wake up in the middle of the night I have to pull the hose off or feel suffocated, but this is because the machine continues to blow some air to help dry the inside of the hose. If the power goes off this should not happen.

Anyway, I think that's right.

And I've never been wrong before!
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 156 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 122 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 193 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,884 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 244 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,674 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,366 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.