Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Power Failure
RE: Power Failure
Computer UPS units may be good for VERY short outages of less then, say, 30 minutes. Maybe less, depending on how high humidification is set. But not much more than that. Try to avoid them. They were built to allow you to shut down your computer gracefully if power goes out, not keep on running the machines. They are horribly inefficient due to several current conversion cycles (120 V AC hosue voltage down to 12 V DC battery voltage back up to 120V AC through an inverter to power the UPS output then back down to 12 V DC for the machine). Also, the internal batteries are relatively small to start with in most household units.

I just wake up if the power goes out. If not, no big whoop as you are not going to suffocate. I used to get up and rig battery for he rest of the night, now I have a home brew, dedicated UPS built specifically for this purpose that will get me comfortably through a night without bypassing humidification (JustMongo already described it - thanks, Mongo!). After the first night, humidification has to go as it eats up SO much power...

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2016, 02:41 PM)Possum Wrote: There are many power backup solutions. Just do a search at any one of the approved suppliers listed on the board.
While I agree with this, keep in mind that the backup solutions at approved suppliers don't include options for batteries to come on-line when your power goes out. you have to wake up and then add the battery. Peruse the threads involving this - some folks live in areas very prone to power outs and have batteries that automatically start up when the power goes out.

If you have very severe apnea, consider contacting your power company about medical backup. Ask them what they recommend. While a free unit probably won't be available to you (you have to be homebound and on oxygen), they may have reduced cost options if you buy or rent through them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, the OMMOHY approach does auto switch. You do have to DIY it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
More than once I have gotten up in the middle of the night, turned the machine off and hit the head. Then came back and put the mask back on and went to sleep. Woke up in the morning and found I never turned the machine back one. I have a FFM and could breathe through it without any problems.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,401 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,282 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 403 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 979 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.