Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Power Outage lousy night sleep
Power Outage lousy night sleep
We lost power last night in the midst of a wild NorEaster and it messed up what started out as a good night's sleep. I hate waking up trying to suck air through the mask. That pushed me to decide on a fix for the future. I already have a DC Converter 24V 90W For S9™ Machines that I run off dual car batteries while camping. I've ordered an Optima Blue Top deep cycle battery and it is my plan to have it connected to a trickle charger next to my bed. My wife is not too happy about that, but does understand. I will then have my S9 VPAP S connected to the DC converter from the battery all the time and hopefully won't get that rude awakening next time we lose power.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Power Outage lousy night sleep
Yeah that would be bad. I expect ill probably wake up to that this winter. But when its supposed to get really bad here wife and I will move from bedroom to the living room cuz the power will usually go out.

That puts us in the fold out bed which aint bad to sleep on, in the same room with the wood stove which is what we heat with.

Ill have the generator gassed up and ready on the covered porch and in about five minutes be running both machines off of it. Surge protector is all we need between the genset and the PRS1 machines. According to the tech at Respirionics anyway.

We lose power in bad winters for weeks at a time along with most everything else around here. Batteries wont cut it for that long.
And during the day we can run the fridge and the freezer off the genset for few hours each to keep everything perishable from going kaput. We have just packed cold store stuff in snow but then you have to fight the critters off it. Coyotes love venison and such lol. She cooks on the wood burner during such times or a little propane camp stove so thats not an issue.
About 15 to 20 gal of stabil treated gas should handle any extended outages we have until the roads get cleared enough for the old 4x4 to get me out to get more. Probably be more than enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2014, 09:49 PM)toro33 Wrote: We lost power last night in the midst of a wild NorEaster and it messed up what started out as a good night's sleep. I hate waking up trying to suck air through the mask. That pushed me to decide on a fix for the future. I already have a DC Converter 24V 90W For S9™ Machines that I run off dual car batteries while camping. I've ordered an Optima Blue Top deep cycle battery and it is my plan to have it connected to a trickle charger next to my bed. My wife is not too happy about that, but does understand. I will then have my S9 VPAP S connected to the DC converter from the battery all the time and hopefully won't get that rude awakening next time we lose power.

Let me know how this turns out! I'm concerned for that too, but I wonder how much current the BiPAP will draw for an eight hour run. Is two deep cycle batteries enough? Maybe some sort of power saving strategy (for instance, disabling the humidifier) will make the current draw manageable.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2014, 04:03 AM)mattnik Wrote:
(11-02-2014, 09:49 PM)toro33 Wrote: We lost power last night in the midst of a wild NorEaster and it messed up what started out as a good night's sleep. I hate waking up trying to suck air through the mask. That pushed me to decide on a fix for the future. I already have a DC Converter 24V 90W For S9™ Machines that I run off dual car batteries while camping. I've ordered an Optima Blue Top deep cycle battery and it is my plan to have it connected to a trickle charger next to my bed. My wife is not too happy about that, but does understand. I will then have my S9 VPAP S connected to the DC converter from the battery all the time and hopefully won't get that rude awakening next time we lose power.

Let me know how this turns out! I'm concerned for that too, but I wonder how much current the BiPAP will draw for an eight hour run. Is two deep cycle batteries enough? Maybe some sort of power saving strategy (for instance, disabling the humidifier) will make the current draw manageable.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I can sleep 7.5 hours with max temp and max humidity settings in cool Fall weather with one Optima Yellow Top 34M car battery and still start the car. Not much margin tho so I have a second battery. You have to be close to the battery as DC power has a big loss over distance. I had to run 4gage wire to an outlet in the back of my 4Runner to make it work. I sleep in a tent attached to the back of the vehicle. With a battery next to your bed you won't have that issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Optima Yellow Top -- best sealed, deep cycle, AGM battery out there.
I have a smart charger, Astron SBC10, 10 Amp, set to gel cell.

If you're good with electronics, you can mod an Astron RM-35 power supply as a float charger/supply.
(Without the mod, the battery will fry the RM-35 when line power fails.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an Optimus Digital charger/maintainer which is also a great option, either the 400 or 1200 model.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you trying to run the CPAP overnight or just through a short power failure?

Would a UPS, an Uninterruptible (AC) Power Supply, work in your scenario?

A UPS's run-time depends on a number of factors. Even best case it likely won't work all night but might see you through shorter outages, possibly up to couple of hours, depending on the UPS and your CPAP.

There's a bit of discussion at What's It Like When The Power Goes Out? Battery Backup (UPS)?, UPS back-up for a CPAP machine and others.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2014, 10:14 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Yeah that would be bad. I expect ill probably wake up to that this winter. But when its supposed to get really bad here wife and I will move from bedroom to the living room cuz the power will usually go out.

That puts us in the fold out bed which aint bad to sleep on, in the same room with the wood stove which is what we heat with.

Ill have the generator gassed up and ready on the covered porch and in about five minutes be running both machines off of it. Surge protector is all we need between the genset and the PRS1 machines. According to the tech at Respirionics anyway.

We lose power in bad winters for weeks at a time along with most everything else around here. Batteries wont cut it for that long.
And during the day we can run the fridge and the freezer off the genset for few hours each to keep everything perishable from going kaput. We have just packed cold store stuff in snow but then you have to fight the critters off it. Coyotes love venison and such lol. She cooks on the wood burner during such times or a little propane camp stove so thats not an issue.
About 15 to 20 gal of stabil treated gas should handle any extended outages we have until the roads get cleared enough for the old 4x4 to get me out to get more. Probably be more than enough.

Sounds like you are ready. Glad you will be able to stay warm AND XPAP'ed. While we don't lose power for that long (a day is the most so far, since 2006 in our current home) we heat with propane. We move out to the living room on a hide-a-bed during a power outage OR when it gets really cold in the bedroom, as in below 50 degrees F.

Oh, I should check to see if there is a low temperature limit to RUN an APAP, hummmm...
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2014, 03:52 PM)Kritiker Wrote: Are you trying to run the CPAP overnight or just through a short power failure?

Would a UPS, an Uninterruptible (AC) Power Supply, work in your scenario?

A UPS's run-time depends on a number of factors. Even best case it likely won't work all night but might see you through shorter outages, possibly up to couple of hours, depending on the UPS and your CPAP.

There's a bit of discussion at What's It Like When The Power Goes Out? Battery Backup (UPS)?, UPS back-up for a CPAP machine and others.

Good luck.

Thanks for the link - I am very interested as well.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Our power went out the other night, too. Just for an hour or so. But with the S9, as soon as it goes off, I am awake. There is no air at all. With my S7, I slept through a power outage until the snoring woke me up. Not with this! Can't breathe!

After a financial hurdle it crossed this week, a battery backup system is one of our top five priorities. They're predicting a cold, wet winter for us and I plan on surviving it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,412 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
Surprised 20 minutes recorded for full night's sleep Deborah K. 10 596 01-06-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.