Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Power Outages & CPAP
RE: Power Outages
(12-12-2014, 04:46 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I found a youtube video for using a Sears DieHard Portable Power 1150 with a cpap. It looks like a pretty good little unit, is portable, and requires no assembly like some of the other solutions I have seen.... I am not into installing a whole house generator, and something to take camping would be pretty neat. Anyone seen/used these or have comments about similar items? We have had tree-felling winds the last couple of days so this is on my mind!

It's good for short term outages. Maybe a few nights without humidifier. It will power a non-DC capable unit like S9 machines with the built in inverter.

Around here, power is rarely off more than a few hours.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 06:30 PM)archangle Wrote: It's good for short term outages. Maybe a few nights without humidifier. It will power a non-DC capable unit like S9 machines with the built in inverter.

Around here, power is rarely off more than a few hours.

We have rare outages, the last one was from 8pm to 4am tho, while damage was repaired from downed trees. Ours wasn't out until they began the repairs.

I get a pretty bad headache if my humidifier goes dry, so I will want to power both. These danged things are really spendy. Someone saw all us boomers coming for the medical gear Tongue

if the power goes out for an extended period, going to have to sleep face down on a massage table or in a recliner probably not ideal!
Post Reply Post Reply
A few years ago, I had a whole-houses generator installed. It has an automatic switch, and it has come on before without my even knowing the power had gone out!

We haven't lost power often, but because where I live we like to pretend to be the north pole for several months out of the year and I have my babies (cats, dog) to consider, I wanted us to be able to stay home and be no worse for the wear.

Is this one of those devices, though, that you can tell your energy company you have in your home so they know restoring your power is to be a top priority?

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 07:06 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: A few years ago, I had a whole-houses generator installed. It has an automatic switch, and it has come on before without my even knowing the power had gone out!

We haven't lost power often, but because where I live we like to pretend to be the north pole for several months out of the year and I have my babies (cats, dog) to consider, I wanted us to be able to stay home and be no worse for the wear.

Is this one of those devices, though, that you can tell your energy company you have in your home so they know restoring your power is to be a top priority?

Lamb

honestly, I am fairly certain that they don't give a hoot... there is no place online to register, for sure. I think west coast and east operate pretty differently in these types of things. I have a neighbor with MS, so if there is anything, we are on the same grid as she is, but our power is out for about the same amount of time as anyone else in these parts. Fortunately, it is not a common occurrence - altho I am eventually planning to move to Eastern Oregon where it might be. There however, a whole house gennie is something we would consider.

Post Reply Post Reply
Where we live here in the sticks in KY you can get on a priority list for Cpap O2 etc etc. Which means your name will come up on a computer someplace and if they happen to be near you fixing lines, and if there are other lines that are live to hook into which there probably wont be in such a case they will hook your neck of woods up instead of driving past it.

Other than that which aint much better have backup. The only ones that get any like bring them out a generator on the power companys dime are folks so bad off that they are likely to die without power due to backup supplied by a DME for whatever it is running out.

Freezing to death is NOT considered by the power company an actual cause of death I dont think LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2014, 01:19 PM)JJJ Wrote: Instead of a transfer switch (permit required) I plan to install additional outlets in the house that are connected only to the generator. I'll put one by the refrigerator, by the freezer, in the computer/office/family room and, of course, in the bedroom for the CPAP machine. When the power fails all I have to do is start up the generator, then walk around the house and switch things from their normal outlet to the nearby generator outlet.

Now all I need is a few days free time to install all this stuff. Sad

It would be a whole lot easier to install one dual breaker and a 220 volt line to a box that you plug your generator into (after turning off the main) Home Depot sells the box and the generator cord. I just put red dots on the breaker labels for those items I need to run on the generator and turn the rest of the breakers off (keep the wife from turning unnecessary lights and gadgets on).
Post Reply Post Reply
YES, do contact your local Fire Department and tell them you use a CPAP. Let them know it is NOT life threatening like a ventilator but it is important. Will it get your power on faster? Probably not. But it will add you to their wellness check list which is always a good thing. Could possibly loan you a small generator or help you get a battery or fuel.

If you have a community police center (some larger cities have these), let them know as well for the same reason.

Check out your power company's website. See if they have a place to register that you have a medical device requiring electricity. But please make sure you state it is not a ventilator. You do not want an ambulance and a fire truck with crew to show up ready to transport you to the hospital! If you can't find where they have such a registration, then find their customer service email and send one. You may never hear anything back but someone somewhere will get it and add it to the pile. If they get enough, maybe they'll notice. Probably not but again, doesn't hurt!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2014, 04:30 PM)ameridan Wrote: It would be a whole lot easier to install one dual breaker and a 220 volt line to a box that you plug your generator into (after turning off the main) Home Depot sells the box and the generator cord. I just put red dots on the breaker labels for those items I need to run on the generator and turn the rest of the breakers off (keep the wife from turning unnecessary lights and gadgets on).

Hi ameridan, welcome to Apnea Board!
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2014, 04:30 PM)ameridan Wrote: It would be a whole lot easier to install one dual breaker and a 220 volt line to a box that you plug your generator into (after turning off the main) Home Depot sells the box and the generator cord. I just put red dots on the breaker labels for those items I need to run on the generator and turn the rest of the breakers off (keep the wife from turning unnecessary lights and gadgets on).

That sounds like a dangerous system that has the possibility of backfeeding the power lines and put some lineman in danger. It is dangerous enough that the electrical utility companies forbid it and will disconnect you if they find out.

The local code required (and utility company required) transfer switches and the labor cost to install them normally makes it too costly for most people. They end up running a heavy duty cord (#12 wire) from the generator and hooking the necessary loads directly to it without involving the permanent wiring of the house. That's dangerous enough but at least you aren't violating basic life safety codes and taking on that liability. Anything other than that is risky business and not a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are quite a few transfer switches out there that can be had and installed for less than $300. Putting a linemans life in danger for that sum is not really prudent. Besides the exposure for lawsuits, fires, and the like. I know here if you get caught with such a setup they will disconnect your power and make you get an electrical certification before hooking you up again.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 166 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,892 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 248 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,709 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 427 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 1,030 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 929 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.