Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Power Outage During CPAP
This poll is closed.
Slept through the whole thing.
23.08%
6 23.08%
It woke me but I went back to sleep with mask still on.
0%
0 0%
It woke me and I took off my mask to continue sleeping.
19.23%
5 19.23%
It woke me and I waited for the the power to come back on to resume CPAP sleep.
26.92%
7 26.92%
It woke me and I couldn't get back to sleep even when the power came back on.
3.85%
1 3.85%
I have a UPS/battery system, so power outages are not a problem.
26.92%
7 26.92%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Power Outages: What's Your Experience?
RE: Power Outages: What's Your Experience?
As far as I know I have not had any power outages during the night hours. We have underground utilities, which seems to minimize this from happening. I voted above as a guess to what would probably occur if we did have an outage, based on noticing very brief outages of a second or so occasionally last month.

BTW I am only aware of those very brief outages from the beeping alarm on our UPS for the home network wireless router, modem, and WiFi transponder for the garage door opener with battery backup.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2018, 06:52 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: With those UPS batteries, you're only going to get anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours of CPAP usage out of it.

Mine starts beeping at me, and along with the air filter machine shutting off, that's usually enough to wake us both. The last time it happened I reached over, turned the humidifier down to zero to extend battery life, then went back to sleep. Power came back on before morning.

The time before that was Hurricane Harvey. We lost power for about six hours (very fortunate compared to many others). A UPS won't get you through that, especially if you have the humidifier on. (The element that heats the humidifier water is the culprit). In that case I went out to my car, pulled the battery, brought it in the bedroom and hooked it up to my PRS1, a CPAP machine that runs natively on 12 volts DC. With no humidifier it lasts a long time. Put the battery back in the car the next morning and the car started right up. Doing this a lot will shorten the life a car battery and an alternator, but this is only the second time I've done it in over six years. If you do this a lot you really should use a battery charger to recharge the battery before putting it back in the car. This won't help the battery, but it will help extend the life of the alternator.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2018, 09:44 AM)LarryRapp Wrote: We have a big diesel generator, but the last power outage it didn't work.  I am pretty sure that the fuel froze and I have to do something to make sure that doesn't happen again.  When it works it waits 15 seconds before starting and then runs until the power comes back on.  I live in northern New Hampshire where we get -40 fahrenheit.  Diesel fuel turns to jelly.  It's really beautiful up here but cold in the winter!

Larry,

You might try Diesel 911 by Power Service. You can find it at most auto parts stores and I even saw it In Walmart the other day. We use it with all of our diesel equipment, although our temperatures don’t get anywhere near what yours do.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
We’ve had one power outage since I started cpap over two years ago. It wasn’t a pleasant way to wake up.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pupcamper,

What's Diesel 911?  How much would I need for a 275 gallon tank (if you know)?  Thanks!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2018, 06:19 PM)pupcamper Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 09:44 AM)LarryRapp Wrote: We have a big diesel generator, but the last power outage it didn't work.  I am pretty sure that the fuel froze and I have to do something to make sure that doesn't happen again.  When it works it waits 15 seconds before starting and then runs until the power comes back on.  I live in northern New Hampshire where we get -40 fahrenheit.  Diesel fuel turns to jelly.  It's really beautiful up here but cold in the winter!

Larry,

You might try Diesel 911 by Power Service. You can find it at most auto parts stores and I even saw it In Walmart the other day. We use it with all of our diesel equipment, although our temperatures don’t get anywhere near what yours do.

This may be the same or similar, but there's a bottle of additive at most truck stops that is supposed to be real good at de-gelling diesel fuel. I've never had to use it, but I've heard it does work. Over the road truck tractors that I drove had a pair of fuel tanks equaling 300 gallons.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2018, 06:29 PM)LarryRapp Wrote: Pupcamper,

What's Diesel 911?  How much would I need for a 275 gallon tank (if you know)?  Thanks!

Heard of:
Northwood's Truck Stop
161 Main St, Colebrook, NH 03576

They may have it or Wal-Mart if nearby. Wal-Mart is listing 80 oz at around $16

BTW ...Diesel 911 is a chemical fuel additive where you should just add it to your fuel tank and it will basically "warm" the gelled fuel making it a liquid again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2018, 06:29 PM)LarryRapp Wrote: Pupcamper,

It looks like our company is  using the wrong product to prevent gelling and freeze ups. Diesel 911 de-gells after gelling has occurred and helps thaw frozen fuel systems. We should actually be using Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost by Power Service, which we have in the past, or a combination of the two products for prevention.

A quart of either will treat 100 gallons.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Going by pupcamper's info of 32oz treating 100 gallon, the 80 oz bottle should be good for 250 gallons I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
88oz should work. I multiply the number of gallons it takes to fill my tank at the end of the day by .32 figure how much product to add to the fuel.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remote power button? JohnKoz 8 108 5 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 172 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,894 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 454 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 153 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 249 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,736 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.