Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Power Outage During CPAP
This poll is closed.
Slept through the whole thing.
23.08%
6 23.08%
It woke me but I went back to sleep with mask still on.
0%
0 0%
It woke me and I took off my mask to continue sleeping.
19.23%
5 19.23%
It woke me and I waited for the the power to come back on to resume CPAP sleep.
26.92%
7 26.92%
It woke me and I couldn't get back to sleep even when the power came back on.
3.85%
1 3.85%
I have a UPS/battery system, so power outages are not a problem.
26.92%
7 26.92%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Power Outages: What's Your Experience?
Idea 
Power Outages: What's Your Experience?
Two nights ago there was a power outage here. The utility had robocalled me the day before to let customers know, but then I forgot all about it. Also, just listening to the message quickly I mistakenly registered that it was supposed to be for 5 PM instead of 5 AM. The next morning when I woke up, the tell-tale signs of a power outage were there: a whole bunch of electronics had to be reset (except my wifi router and modem, which are on a newly purchased UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). SleepyHead confirmed there was a 3-minute gap around 5 AM.

However, I slept through the whole outage without noticing a thing. Dreaming

What's your experience on CPAP during an overnight power outage? Vote in the poll! Happy Eyes
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Power Outages: What's Your Experience?
I haven't had it happen yet.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a battery backup like they use for computers so when the power goes out and it has the CPAP is not affected but the alarm on the backup sounds and wakes me up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hasn't happened to me yet, but I would imagine I would just take the mask off (either with or without waking) and carry on sleeping.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
I find it very hard to sleep without the machine these days, at first I could, but now if I have no power I have to stay awake.
If I do fall asleep, it is not long before I get a dig in the ribs anyway.  So to stay alive and save the risk of being strangled during the night by the missis, I just get up and go downstairs and sit in a chair, might doze, but even that might might give leave to ghostly things flying down the stair towards my chair Shock
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
When power goes out I seem to wake up pretty fast. I have a manual battery backup which I then have to set up. Then back to sleep. Automatic would be ideal but I don't have that option. Sleep without cpap doesn't work very well for me.
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I've experienced this several times, both at home and while travelling. I'll wake up, gasping for breath and checking the electronics to determine the cause. If at home, I have an old AEIOMed machine that has a battery that I keep fully charged. While travelling, I've been known to change hotels (at the original hotel's expense) in order that I can sleep safely.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just so folks know, most of the UPS devices you purchase to protect your TV/PC etc. are woefully inadequate for CPAP.  With those UPS batteries, you're only going to get anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours of CPAP usage out of it.

There's several threads here on what's an adequate way to power CPAP machines off-grid or when the power goes out, you can search for them, or here's a few:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...oes+out%22

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...P-machines

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ckup-setup

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ap-battery

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...lease-help
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have my home made UPS system with a 35-39 Ah battery that will do everything it need to for the first night if I have heated humidification on, and probably half a week after that as I would turn off humidification after that first night. (Note that store bought, consumer grade computer UPS systems will not do this - big ones may get you a couple hours, maybe a few....) Have had a couple of short outages overnight (meaning power was on by the time I got up - don't actually know how long they were); I slept through and they went un-noticed at the time.

Before putting together the UPS system together, had a few outages, usually less than an hour. With those, I tended to wake up pretty much as soon as the machine failed. I would either wait it ou or go sit in the recliner to try to sleep without the machine. Usually tend to wait it out though.

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a big diesel generator, but the last power outage it didn't work.  I am pretty sure that the fuel froze and I have to do something to make sure that doesn't happen again.  When it works it waits 15 seconds before starting and then runs until the power comes back on.  I live in northern New Hampshire where we get -40 fahrenheit.  Diesel fuel turns to jelly.  It's really beautiful up here but cold in the winter!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,792 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 421 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 104 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,428 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 545 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.