Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Power Outage During CPAP
This poll is closed.
Slept through the whole thing.
23.08%
6 23.08%
It woke me but I went back to sleep with mask still on.
0%
0 0%
It woke me and I took off my mask to continue sleeping.
19.23%
5 19.23%
It woke me and I waited for the the power to come back on to resume CPAP sleep.
26.92%
7 26.92%
It woke me and I couldn't get back to sleep even when the power came back on.
3.85%
1 3.85%
I have a UPS/battery system, so power outages are not a problem.
26.92%
7 26.92%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Power Outages: What's Your Experience?
RE: Power Outages: What's Your Experience?
Pupcamper and Dave:  Thanks, I'll add some to the tank.  Another thing - I want to put a small hole and 5 or 12 volt fan into the room.  The tank is in an insulated enclosure outside.  The generator is in the furnace room which tends to be hot and the tank is just outside.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
You're quite welcome and sounds like a good plan Larry.

Apologies to OP sheepish for the hijacking...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a nasal mask (dreamwear), and my mouth is sucked shut, so if the machine stops I'm not breathing and it definitely wakes me up. If the power stays out, I just get up with a blanket and sleep upright in the glider. According to my wife, my apnea is minimal when I do that. If the power stays out for a few day (Kinda rural Maine), we have a medium size generator for heat, a few other things, and the cpap.

Many machines will run on a 12volt connector. I use one in my camper. I suppose that a battery could be used in the house on a temporary basis?
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct. You have a Respironics which makes it easier (cheaper than the required proprietary ResMed cord) to hook up a battery back-up as it runs on 12V.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A few weeks ago the power went out around 5:30am ... it woke me up and it was hard to breath.  Being half asleep my first thought was to puff into the mask in order to turn it back on.

After puffing a few times into the mask I realized the power was out and by then I was craving oxygen. So I laughed at myself, pulled the mask off, rolled over, and went back to sleep.  

It was my first experience of a power outage since being on CPAP.  Pretty weird but not scary.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have mine on an APC brand battery backup.  One trick is to get the APC Powerchute program, connect to the backup with a USB cable, and then disable the battery backup alarm when the power goes out.  You can then disconnect from battery backup and the configuration will remain.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2018, 09:16 PM)DanGagner Wrote: I have a nasal mask (dreamwear), and my mouth is sucked shut, so if the machine stops I'm not breathing and it definitely wakes me up. If the power stays out, I just get up with a blanket and sleep upright in the glider. According to my wife, my apnea is minimal when I do that. If the power stays out for a few day (Kinda rural Maine), we have a medium size generator for heat, a few other things, and the cpap.

Many machines will run on a 12volt connector. I use one in my camper. I suppose that a battery could be used in the house on a temporary basis?

I am curious. I use 4 different masks depending on mood  a wisp, a pillairo, swift FX II and a easylife 2 nasal pillow and 2 nose masks but every one of then has a vented elbow right at the mask so even if the power did go out and even if I didn't open my mouth i would still not suffocate. I just assumed all masks had this feature ? I was told when i got my machine that this was a feature of masks so one would not suffocate in case of power failure?
Does the mask you use not have this feature ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The resmed N10 nasal mask does not have a vented elbow for sure, as I use that one, however the FFM equivalent the f10 airfit does.

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 103 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,419 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 545 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.