Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Power outage [when wearing full face mask]
RE: Power outage [when wearing full face mask]
Power goes out and the CPAP keeps on runnin' for at least 4 nights even with heated humogrification. 9 nights if I get up and turn the humogriffication feeture off. Doen' need to do nuttin cept sleep through it. (for the cost of a Yerti, I can point you to equipment to make a great CPAP uninterruptible power supply. Pretty much at the same electrical capacity. Much greater capacity (actually productive run time) if you plan on plugging in to the Yerti's AC outlet.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
OMMOHY,
I would love to get the details on your UPS.

I am also about to head out camping with my Scout group, so am looking for a mobile solution as well.

As I have the Resmed AirSennse 10, it looks like I will have to purchase their 12-24V transformer. From my searching here so far, I have not found anyone that has "reverse engineered" the connector details for the Resmed, so us back woods engineers could just connect a couple of batteries in series. Still looking...

Being up in Canada, my local shop wants to charge ~$200 CDN (ok, so that is about $150 US). I may have to order from US and hope it arrives before I go camping...

Again, would love to see your UPS details.

Thanks.
Snoopy
Post Reply Post Reply
A time or two I have gone to the bathroom and fell asleep so quickly after getting back in bed that the hose did not get re-connected for maybe an hour or so. I agree, you should not be concerned about this. Along another line of thought, I sort of wish I had a backup power source now because hurricane Irma is about two hours from my location and headed my way. However, if it gets too bad I probably will not sleep therefore no apnea events and no snoring. 

I don't know if there would be a reasonably priced UPS unit with capacity to run your CPAP for a few hours, that might be one solution. Since I also use an O2 concentrator when sleeping backup for both may not be practical.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2017, 10:48 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: What happens if the power goes off and you're wearing a full-face mask (covering nose and mouth)? You suffocate?

Yes, the anti-asphyxiation valve should save you.  

Experiment - Mask up and start your machine, then unplug the machine, and see what happens.  You may find it a little difficult to breathe, but you shouldn't suffocate.  If you have a spouse, have them unplug you some night and see what happens.  (With instructions to plug you back in or wake you up before you die.)

Even if the anti-asphyxiation valve doesn't open, you'll probably wake up, but it's not a 100% sure thing.   It's different than, for instance, having a pillow held over your head or being strangled because you are still inhaling and exhaling.  The problem is that you're mainly breathing your oxygen depleted exhaled air.

I don't know if O2 would drop enough to kill you, since there is a little fresh air that comes in in various ways.   Obviously, it's a little difficult to do the experiment on actual humans, but the medical community must be worried about it since they put the anti-asphyxiation valve in there.   Sounds like a good case for some animal testing.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2017, 03:44 PM)stanleydean Wrote: A time or two I have gone to the bathroom and fell asleep so quickly after getting back in bed that the hose did not get re-connected for maybe an hour or so. I agree, you should not be concerned about this....

Stan

If you disconnected the hose at the mask, this isn't a very good test.   You'll be breathing relatively fresh air because there's only a little "dead air space" in your mask.  When you inhale, you'll quickly inhale all the stale air and the last half of your inhaled breath will be all fresh air. 

With the hose and non running CPAP machine attached, you won't inhale enough air in one breath for the fresh air on the other end of the hose to make it into your lungs.  (assuming no anti-asphyxia valve.)
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,582 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 238 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.