Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Powering off Dreamstation
Powering off Dreamstation
Is there a recommended way to turn off a PR Dreamstation ? 

Due to two curious little ones I need to store my machine in a secure locker away from the bed every morning (assemble every night). So far, I have simply unplugged the machine and put it away - but I wanted to ask if there was a manufacturers recommended way to power it off ? Couldn't find anything in the manual. 
Also I got this doubt because the last couple of days my unrestricted/unhindered hose would get a bit of a jerk (like a tug from my headgear) occasionally. Made me think if I have buggered the machine in anyway. 

Cheers,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Powering off Dreamstation
Not that I'm aware of.. I just shut mine down with the OFF/ON button each time when I get out of bed in the morning.

Any time I have packed it up to take away on a trip I just pull the power cord out of the machine.

Never had a problem, and was not told of any other way to do it with either the loan Dreamstation or the one I purchased brand new buy the clinic I deal with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here. I just off the "therapy on/off button" on the machine and switch the wall power socket off in the morning. If anyone has a different rationale not to practice that, it'll be good to know.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Switched power supplies have an intrinsic problem, disconnecting or plugging them into the socket produces a high voltage surge (almost always clicking).

Sometimes and very often this peak of volts crosses the barriers of protection of the source and its electronic components are damaged.

Tip: Never disconnect the power supply from the 110V network, do so by disconnecting the green 12V connector of the Dreamstation if you want to save it, but better not to have anything and leave it in standby. It is the best way to avoid damages
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the machines on/off switch.  I never pull the plug from the wall or turn off the power strip unless I have to take it somewhere.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 09:37 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I also use the machines on/off switch.  I never pull the plug from the wall or turn off the power strip unless I have to take it somewhere.

On/off switch produces the same effect, this switch always cuts off the 110/220 Vac supply, the Dreamstation does not have On/off switch
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 09:51 AM)Perchas Wrote:
(04-18-2017, 09:37 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I also use the machines on/off switch.  I never pull the plug from the wall or turn off the power strip unless I have to take it somewhere.

On/off switch produces the same effect, this switch always cuts off the 110/220 Vac supply, the Dreamstation does not have On/off switch

I have the predecessor to the DreamStation, and I can power it down by pressing the knob.
I think it's a bad design to have to pull the plug or turn off the power strip every day.  My 2 cents.

BHappy,
In dealing with the "little ones", when my Granddaughter comes to visit, I just close the bedroom door.
She has quickly learned this is off limits.   Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there is some confusion going on here between what the OP asked, and the reason for the asking (to pack the CPAP away in a secure place from small prying hands  Big Grin  the joys of small children in the house  Big Grin  ).

The Dreamstation doesn't have a "power on/off" button, it has a round button on the front that accesses the various menus, and a flat button on the top that starts/stops therapy, and a small flat button next to that which switches on the Ramp mode.
The flat therapy button is as close as it gets to a "power down button on the Dreamstation.

To disconnect power the options are- unplug the lead from the unit.. or turn off the wall socket.

Even with the wall socket turned off and the plug pulled from the wall the transformer will hold residual current for a short time.

There is no difference in effect on the Dreamstation by disconnecting in any of the three method options.

The only variation is if you turn off the wall socket/remove the plug from the wall, then the machine will deplete what little residual current remains in the transformer.. but it is not necessary to do this when disconnecting the machine from power.

Even unplugging the power while the machine is running shouldn't cause a big issue, most modern electronic devices can survive an "instant blackout" scenario (though I wouldn't make a habit of it).
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have the space for a bedside table with a large drawer or two, that might be a solution to keep the unit out of sight and secured. I do this with mine, and have the hose and power through a 2-inch diameter hole in the rear of the unit. This would save a lot of wear, tear and time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for replying everyone. @Ockrocket you hit the nail on the head mate. I shall continue with what I am doing then.
Good idea sleeprider.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,710 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,300 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.