Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pramipexole for rls and mild sleep apnea?
Question 
Pramipexole for rls and mild sleep apnea?
I just found out I have mild sleep apnea and rls. My doc wants to put me on pramipexole first before considering a cpap. Do any of you guys have experience with this?

From what I've read pramipexole can have a lot of side effects in of itself. I wonder how much it will help my sleep. Should I ask my doc for the cpap as well along with starting the prami? I am in need of some good sleep. I don't want to waste another couple of months on meds only to find out it doesn't work.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pramipexole for rls and mild sleep apnea?
(10-29-2015, 12:10 PM)awds Wrote: I just found out I have mild sleep apnea and rls. My doc wants to put me on pramipexole first before considering a cpap. Do any of you guys have experience with this?

From what I've read pramipexole can have a lot of side effects in of itself. I wonder how much it will help my sleep. Should I ask my doc for the cpap as well along with starting the prami? I am in need of some good sleep. I don't want to waste another couple of months on meds only to find out it doesn't work.

Hi awds,

Without a doubt, you need ask him to write you a prescription for a data capable apap machine since you have mild sleep apnea. Yeah, if you have rls, the pramipexlole should help your RLS but if your apnea is not addressed, then a good portion of your sleep issues won't be addressed and you'll continue to have untreated mild apnea.

Consider this. Even if your AHI is just 5 which is the lowest of the mild range, if you sleep 8 hours, you will have stopped breathing 40 times throughout the night. That is alot of stress on your organs.

Anyway, see this link for machines to consider:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Make sure you get a data capable machine so you can download sleepyhead, free software, to monitor your therapy and verify that it is optimized.

The reason why I mentioned an Apap machine as the ideal machine to get is you can run it in APAP mode (a range of pressures) or cpap mode (one straight pressure). Very convenient.

But if for some reason, you end up being limited to getting just a cpap machine, at least makes sure it is listed as being data capable.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi awds,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the warm welcome. I just found out I will be on ronipirole (requip) a commonly used parkinson's drug instead. I will try to see if I can get a cpap on my next follow up. My doc said my ahi was at 5.9 and she felt it was very mild.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.