Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Predicting severity of sleep apnoea with just oximetry?
RE: Predicting severity of sleep apnoea with just oximetry?
(05-25-2016, 12:07 PM)Asjb Wrote: A friend suspects he has sleep apnoea (snoring etc) but does not yet want to 'put his head above the parapet' by seeing a doctor or having a sleep test.

Great news - my friend has now asked for a referral for ? sleep apnoea and will be seeing a chest physician soon.

(06-03-2016, 06:36 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The severity of your desats should correlate with the severity of what is causing the problem.

PaytonA

Hello Payton A - this is the bit I am not at all sure about when one looks at (as I explained in my original post) the *number* of desats (not the lowest oxygen - I of course would agree with you that very low oxygen in SA = worse sleep apnoea).

I still doubt that a likely AHI level can be mathematically predicted based on the number of desats/hr with oxymetry (which was what someone else advised my friend - as in my original post)

Would you and anyone else be willing to share the numbers for their test AHI and their test desats/hr to test this theory? I had a test AHI of 58/hr, with desats of 28/hr (4% drop for 10 seconds).
......................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help other xPAP users.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-13. PS 3-10

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2016, 11:33 AM)Asjb Wrote:
(05-25-2016, 12:07 PM)Asjb Wrote: A friend suspects he has sleep apnoea (snoring etc) but does not yet want to 'put his head above the parapet' by seeing a doctor or having a sleep test.

Great news - my friend has now asked for a referral for ? sleep apnoea and will be seeing a chest physician soon.

(06-03-2016, 06:36 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The severity of your desats should correlate with the severity of what is causing the problem.

PaytonA

Hello Payton A - this is the bit I am not at all sure about when one looks at (as I explained in my original post) the *number* of desats (not the lowest oxygen - I of course would agree with you that very low oxygen in SA = worse sleep apnoea).

I still doubt that a likely AHI level can be mathematically predicted based on the number of desats/hr with oxymetry (which was what someone else advised my friend - as in my original post)

Would you and anyone else be willing to share the numbers for their test AHI and their test desats/hr to test this theory? I had a test AHI of 58/hr, with desats of 28/hr (4% drop for 10 seconds).
......................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help other xPAP users.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-13. PS 3-10

I will have to do some digging to come up with that test report but I will provide the data for you. I do not think that there is any numerical equivalency.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Oxygen desats are not necessarily directly correlated to AHI, but such an amount of desaturations is certainly enough to justify getting one into the sleep lab for a proper diagnosis.

I wore an oximeter a few weeks ago instead of my CPAP as my power was out and I wanted to see what would happen, and it came out quite similar to your friends; I have moderate sleep apnea diagnosed by somnography.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 104 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 221 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 785 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 252 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Diagnosis] Need help with Pulse Oximetry monitoring results NickAsleepPol 1 460 11-14-2023, 05:14 AM
Last Post: NickAsleepPol
  Would like to add Pulse Oximetry to my monitoring Boreas 3 607 11-13-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Boreas
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,416 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.