Predicting severity of sleep apnoea with just oximetry?
Asjb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Aircurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV. Before 11/2015 Airsense 10 Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FP Simplus & Remzzzs liner
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: Current info in this post
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Predicting severity of sleep apnoea with just oximetry?
(05-25-2016 12:07 PM)Asjb Wrote:  A friend suspects he has sleep apnoea (snoring etc) but does not yet want to 'put his head above the parapet' by seeing a doctor or having a sleep test.

Great news - my friend has now asked for a referral for ? sleep apnoea and will be seeing a chest physician soon.

(06-03-2016 06:36 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  The severity of your desats should correlate with the severity of what is causing the problem.

PaytonA

Hello Payton A - this is the bit I am not at all sure about when one looks at (as I explained in my original post) the *number* of desats (not the lowest oxygen - I of course would agree with you that very low oxygen in SA = worse sleep apnoea).

I still doubt that a likely AHI level can be mathematically predicted based on the number of desats/hr with oxymetry (which was what someone else advised my friend - as in my original post)

Would you and anyone else be willing to share the numbers for their test AHI and their test desats/hr to test this theory? I had a test AHI of 58/hr, with desats of 28/hr (4% drop for 10 seconds).
................................................................................​......................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help other xPAP users.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-13. PS 3-10
06-04-2016 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

(06-04-2016 11:33 AM)Asjb Wrote:  
(05-25-2016 12:07 PM)Asjb Wrote:  A friend suspects he has sleep apnoea (snoring etc) but does not yet want to 'put his head above the parapet' by seeing a doctor or having a sleep test.

Great news - my friend has now asked for a referral for ? sleep apnoea and will be seeing a chest physician soon.

(06-03-2016 06:36 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  The severity of your desats should correlate with the severity of what is causing the problem.

PaytonA

Hello Payton A - this is the bit I am not at all sure about when one looks at (as I explained in my original post) the *number* of desats (not the lowest oxygen - I of course would agree with you that very low oxygen in SA = worse sleep apnoea).

I still doubt that a likely AHI level can be mathematically predicted based on the number of desats/hr with oxymetry (which was what someone else advised my friend - as in my original post)

Would you and anyone else be willing to share the numbers for their test AHI and their test desats/hr to test this theory? I had a test AHI of 58/hr, with desats of 28/hr (4% drop for 10 seconds).
................................................................................​......................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help other xPAP users.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-13. PS 3-10

I will have to do some digging to come up with that test report but I will provide the data for you. I do not think that there is any numerical equivalency.

Best regards,

PaytonA
06-04-2016 11:42 AM
eviltim Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit F10
Humidifier: H5i heated humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 5 exhale/9 inhale
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Oxygen desats are not necessarily directly correlated to AHI, but such an amount of desaturations is certainly enough to justify getting one into the sleep lab for a proper diagnosis.

I wore an oximeter a few weeks ago instead of my CPAP as my power was out and I wanted to see what would happen, and it came out quite similar to your friends; I have moderate sleep apnea diagnosed by somnography.
06-04-2016 03:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Oximetry report Sunshinepostell 3 392 09-09-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Oximetry report - data interpretation Possum 10 2,012 05-22-2016 11:56 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  oximetry interpretation guide for sleepyhead sdb7802 2 510 04-22-2016 05:34 PM
Last Post: Possum
Question Awake periodic breathing/ desats, otherwise healthy? (+sleep apnoea) Carbon 7 993 03-02-2016 06:46 AM
Last Post: Carbon
Question Interesting Article on Sleep Apnoea Mutineer 7 876 02-12-2016 01:09 PM
Last Post: surferdude2
  Just for info - sleep apnoea congress February in USA Asjb 1 517 01-30-2016 12:37 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Methods to detect apnoea location napnaptime 5 897 11-24-2015 11:09 AM
Last Post: napnaptime