Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Predicting severity of sleep apnoea with just oximetry?
(05-25-2016, 12:07 PM)Asjb Wrote: A friend suspects he has sleep apnoea (snoring etc) but does not yet want to 'put his head above the parapet' by seeing a doctor or having a sleep test.

Great news - my friend has now asked for a referral for ? sleep apnoea and will be seeing a chest physician soon.

(06-03-2016, 06:36 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The severity of your desats should correlate with the severity of what is causing the problem.

PaytonA

Hello Payton A - this is the bit I am not at all sure about when one looks at (as I explained in my original post) the *number* of desats (not the lowest oxygen - I of course would agree with you that very low oxygen in SA = worse sleep apnoea).

I still doubt that a likely AHI level can be mathematically predicted based on the number of desats/hr with oxymetry (which was what someone else advised my friend - as in my original post)

Would you and anyone else be willing to share the numbers for their test AHI and their test desats/hr to test this theory? I had a test AHI of 58/hr, with desats of 28/hr (4% drop for 10 seconds).
......................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help other xPAP users.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-13. PS 3-10

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2016, 11:33 AM)Asjb Wrote:
(05-25-2016, 12:07 PM)Asjb Wrote: A friend suspects he has sleep apnoea (snoring etc) but does not yet want to 'put his head above the parapet' by seeing a doctor or having a sleep test.

Great news - my friend has now asked for a referral for ? sleep apnoea and will be seeing a chest physician soon.

(06-03-2016, 06:36 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The severity of your desats should correlate with the severity of what is causing the problem.

PaytonA

Hello Payton A - this is the bit I am not at all sure about when one looks at (as I explained in my original post) the *number* of desats (not the lowest oxygen - I of course would agree with you that very low oxygen in SA = worse sleep apnoea).

I still doubt that a likely AHI level can be mathematically predicted based on the number of desats/hr with oxymetry (which was what someone else advised my friend - as in my original post)

Would you and anyone else be willing to share the numbers for their test AHI and their test desats/hr to test this theory? I had a test AHI of 58/hr, with desats of 28/hr (4% drop for 10 seconds).
......................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help other xPAP users.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-13. PS 3-10

I will have to do some digging to come up with that test report but I will provide the data for you. I do not think that there is any numerical equivalency.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Oxygen desats are not necessarily directly correlated to AHI, but such an amount of desaturations is certainly enough to justify getting one into the sleep lab for a proper diagnosis.

I wore an oximeter a few weeks ago instead of my CPAP as my power was out and I wanted to see what would happen, and it came out quite similar to your friends; I have moderate sleep apnea diagnosed by somnography.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Testing severity of Sleep Apnea with maximum 4 pressure freetime 6 164 1 hour ago
Last Post: freetime
Question Profox Oximetry Software-can it export csv files or equivalent? windbag 5 136 12-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Relationship between OSAS pre-treatment severity and adherence to PAP? Shin Ryoku 6 165 11-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Last Post: dracus
  Oximetry Without Inputting Data Into SleepyHead? VisitorX 7 186 11-02-2017, 05:56 AM
Last Post: VisitorX
  [split] RESMED OXIMETRY KIT FOR AIRSENSE 10 SERIES storywizard 9 356 09-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  My Dads Oximetry Report DavePaulson 13 765 09-18-2017, 09:25 PM
Last Post: DavePaulson
  Interpreting Pulse Oximetry Data bigalxyz 13 504 08-31-2017, 04:05 AM
Last Post: bigalxyz