Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Prelim Questions
Prelim Questions
Yesterday, at my insistence, my wife talked to our family doctor about getting a sleep study done. Since my appointment to remove the skins tags was shortly after hers, I sat in during part of the discussion.

Both of us expressed our concerns about her sleep patterns and then the doctor gave her that questionnaire about how likely you are to nod-off in certain circumstances. She and I had a difference of opinion on how likely certain events were. I was reasonably certain her 'score' should have been much higher - but I got 'saved' from an argument by the nurse for my appointment.

However, I'm beginning to wonder just how useful those questions really are. Is it possible that some of us lie to ourselves about needing help getting proper sleep? Are we real honest when we answer the questionnaire?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Prelim Questions
(04-07-2012, 10:28 AM)bobg1946 Wrote: Yesterday, at my insistence, my wife talked to our family doctor about getting a sleep study done. Since my appointment to remove the skins tags was shortly after hers, I sat in during part of the discussion.

Both of us expressed our concerns about her sleep patterns and then the doctor gave her that questionnaire about how likely you are to nod-off in certain circumstances. She and I had a difference of opinion on how likely certain events were. I was reasonably certain her 'score' should have been much higher - but I got 'saved' from an argument by the nurse for my appointment.

However, I'm beginning to wonder just how useful those questions really are. Is it possible that some of us lie to ourselves about needing help getting proper sleep? Are we real honest when we answer the questionnaire?

They have solved that problem over here in the uk as we too get a list of questions but so does our partners and they usually go with there answers as men usually lie about snoring Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep Dr. also had a question sheet for my wife that I took home and filled out for her. But I wanted the sleep study so I probably exaggerated a little!
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I had that sheet, too. I said I didn't nod off at traffic lights but then, on the way home, I realized I actually did. And how do we know if we snore and how bad?? I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm asleep when I snore.

I like the idea of someone else getting their opinion in on their own form!
Post Reply Post Reply
If I doze off before I put on my mask I will snore loud enough to wake myself.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
With surveys like this, I don't know how many people deliberately lie but I do know that most people aren't realistic in their answers. It isn't their fault. They only have themselves to compare themselves too. I didn't know if my afternoon drowsiness was a result of sleep apnea or a stressful job. I don't know what number on the Richter scale my snores are.

I think they should give the survey to the partners but that doesn't seem to be standard operating procedure here in the US.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2012, 09:12 PM)iSnooze Wrote: I don't know what number on the Richter scale my snores are.

Laugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lot

I went to a conference in California before I had my diagnosis. I roomed with two friends. Apparently my snoring not only kept them awake, but two nights, the people on either side came to knock on the door to make sure everyone was okay.

I asked why didn't they just tell me to roll over. They laughed and said I snored just as loud on my side as I did on my back. Luckily, they were not mad or anything but they recommended the church (I was the delegate, they were the pastors) pay for any future rooms completely so I would never have to torture someone else!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 149 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,593 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.