Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Presciption
Presciption
Does your doctor give you an actual prescription?  Mine will only send it to the medical supplier directly and not to me.  I am frustrated because I called the supplier and they still have not received it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Presciption
A prescription is a "medical record" and you have a right of access under HIPAA https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profession...index.html The government enforces this right and you may file a complaint. Prescriptions are an end-point conclusion by your doctor of how your therapy should be conducted. Sleep reports and recommendations are similarly protected. It is not uncommon for prescriptions to contain errors and the patient right to review the prescription is the only way that ensures the patient is knowledgeable in how and why they are being treated, allow for discussions of those recommendations, and to ensure the prescription is properly dispensed by a provider. A copy of a prescription is required to be provided to a patient, however it is often watermarked as a COPY or not valid for fulfillment without verification. You have the right to select a pharmacy or medical equipment provider of your choice . In most cases any provider will contact the doctor's office for prescription verification. Your doctor cannot stipulate what provider will provide supplies, equipment, medications or services without your consent, however some medical systems are "closed" to outside providers and your coverage may be affected by using an out of network provider.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As one would expect, Sleeprider is right on. To add a fine point to the discussion, and per the link Sleeprider provided, 45 CFR § 164.524 "requires HIPAA covered entities (health plans and most health care providers) to provide individuals, upon request, with access to the protected health information (PHI) about them in one or more "designated record sets" maintained by or for the covered entity. This includes the right to inspect or obtain a copy, or both, of the PHI, as well as to direct the covered entity to transmit a copy to a designated person or entity of the individual's choice." Note the word above is REQUIRED. So it's NOT that patients can request and providers can decide whether to comply. Providers are REQUIRED by law to comply with the patient request. So if the provider resists, push back hard and be informed.

Per the link, the purpose is as follows: "Providing individuals with easy access to their health information empowers them to be more in control of decisions regarding their health and well-being. . . . Putting individuals "in the driver's seat" with respect to their health also is a key component of health reform and the movement to a more patient-centered health care system."
Post Reply Post Reply
My doc sends the script via e-prescribing off a prescribing template (fills in the variables) in the electronic medical record. When I bought a more portable O2 concentrator from an out-of-state DME company they asked for my provider's name and there was no issue getting the prescription re-routed. The solution may be a simple as giving your preferred company's link or even its name (if it is already in the EMR's usually nation-wide database, assuming you are in the US) to your provider.

But Sleeprider makes an excellent point that you may be stuck in an in-network, out-of-network contractual limitation as far as insurance reimbursement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine was posted to my patient portal, and the doc was OK with sharing it with a rental company so I could get a machine faster than the DME company would (he said to expect 6-8 weeks). I was able to sent my script to the rental company, and they configured it according to the script specs. Doc has been very happy with the fast turnaround and me getting on therapy so quickly (4-5 days vs 6-8 weeks).

So, I'd call the practice and ask for a copy of your script. Legally, they need to give it to you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New bipap presciption Shamus54 15 2,551 05-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Shamus54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.