Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Prescribed manual pressure setting vs Auto
Prescribed manual pressure setting vs Auto
3 months into CPAP - Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto. Pretty good results but AHI over 5 - not consistently great. I stumbled across this fantastic website and youtube videos a week ago; realized machine was set to manual modes. I changed all to Auto, increased upper pressure limit to 7 from 6 and have slept amazingly now for several days (7-9 hours, AHI around 3)! I called DME company; I was informed they were going to remotely change it back to original settings because my primary care doc prescribed a manual setting of 6. They would never have looked at the settings if I would not have called. So now I have a call into my doctor. Either way I will change it back to Auto everything. I'm on a high deductible health plan and paying 100% out of pocket for this anyhow. I suspect my doctor did not realize he was asking the DME to dumb down the technology. It is cool to have Wi-Fi connectivity but I can also sync it to DreamMapper via BlueTooth on my smartphone (and remove the Wi-Fi card). Knowing that purchase from a DME would actually be a hassle I could have gone the online/craiglist/etc route and been in better shape already/maybe spent less too. Any similar stories?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Prescribed manual pressure setting vs Auto
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of DME horror stores to read here, and having your doctor change the prescription is the most sane approach. Download #SleepyHead, and you will be amazed at how much data is really available to you. Your machine is actually available on Amazon for about $400, so I hear you when you say, "if I'd known".

If you want any input on cutting the AHI further, the links in my signature show how to organize and post #Sleepyhead data, and the third links can help you to interpret it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JT01,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
See if your machine can change to a setting of Airplane Mode (or turn off WiFi, etc.)). If yes, that will turn off the modem and I believe that the DME can't change anything then.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
With the Dreamstation you can turn the modem and wifi off in the Patient Mode, independently of each other in " My Setup".
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are just excited and overreacting. It's ok!! It's thrilling when you know you can take the mystery out of medical equipment. No need to even call your doctor - just leave a message that you increased your bottom number to 7 and are sleeping and breathing much better than at 6. Call the DME and tell them that no changes are to be made remotely without notifying you first. Next time you make changes, keep them to yourself and share directly with your doctor. Life will be easier then.

Doctors vary, but I brought some of the Sleepyhead reports with me and at least the PA liked seeing the data and KNOWING that I know what I'm doing. I was given some parameters (i.e. if I have to raise above 12.6, then I should call them).
Post Reply Post Reply
You are the one who is in charge. If you learn and take control of your equipment and condition it will help you a lot. Your doctor can work with you and help. This forum can and will help.

I have made many changes to my settings after learning more. At time I have backtracked to an earlier setting. It has improved my life.

Be smart and read then Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Almost anytime you involve a doc or dme beyond the diagnosis and getting a machine you ask for trouble and sub par treatment IMO
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation modem is really easy to remove, it slides out the side, disconnect power first. Sleepyhead reads the data card, so you don't need Bluetooth on to use it, and the Phillips app that reads via Bluetooth is pretty much useless.

I'm planning on pulling the modem as soon as it converts from a rental to a purchase, insurance is paying for it now. The DME hasn't remotely changed any settings, but I've not told them about anything I've changed, because why would I do that? If I'd been paying out of pocket, I'd have gone the Craigslist route, I almost did that before I had insurance.

And my doctor is happy that I've been looking at the data.

Post Reply Post Reply
Doctors that support you in your learning about yourself, That is a keeper.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,011 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 810 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,909 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 404 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 561 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 373 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.