Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Prescription - how to get
RE: Prescription - how to get
Don't sweat the details. Your new Autoset will work great. If you want to start with a sleep test, then just set the pressure to Autoset Standard mode with minimum pressure 4, Maximum pressure 20, and see what happens. If you want to really feel the benefits, start at a minimum pressure of 7.0 with EPR full time at 3 an maximum pressure at 20, and after the first night set minimum pressure equal to the median pressure of the first night. If you want a mask recommendation, I have been using the Resmed Air Fit P10 pillows mask since it was introduced. Amazingly quiet and effective, but you will need to keep your mouth shut. That is where I would start. It's inexpensive, includes 3-sizes of nasal pillow, and works for anyone that can tolerate nasal therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again,

My ResMed S10 AutoSet should be here on Thursday.

I've got the SD card ready.

Mask F20 and heated tube will arrive with the unit.
I know how to access clinical settings.

Question:
What the initial settings should be? Can you please advise?
Min pressure, ERP etc.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2020, 08:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Don't sweat the details.  Your new Autoset will work great. If you want to start with a sleep test, then just set the pressure to Autoset Standard mode with minimum pressure 4, Maximum pressure 20, and see what happens. If you want to really feel the benefits, start at a minimum pressure of 7.0 with EPR full time at 3 an maximum pressure at 20, and after the first night set minimum pressure equal to the median pressure of the first night.  If you want a mask recommendation, I have been using the Resmed Air Fit P10 pillows mask since it was introduced. Amazingly quiet and effective, but you will need to keep your mouth shut. That is where I would start. It's inexpensive, includes 3-sizes of nasal pillow, and works for anyone that can tolerate nasal therapy.
Think of that as your sleep test.  Post your daily charts (F12) and ask for suggestions/improvements.

The data will provide the info needed to move forward.  It is that simple.  Note: it is extremely unlikely that we would want you to remain at a min of 4, but with no sleep test it is the best initial option.  Night 2 will be at different settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Geez, so I haven't seen the Sleepriders response as I had my browser open on my phone all that time and didn't realize that a 3rd page was added to the thread. I didn't see his reponse, I feel silly.
I apologize for repeating the question.

Thank you bonjour for being patient with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone has really great info. So I won't re-state it. But I wanted to add...

I think it's possible that if the CPAP helps you, you can eventually go to your primary care manager and say "Hey, I had all of these sleep apnea symptoms. I tried 2 legit sleep studies that failed because I couldn't fall asleep, and I had an at-home one which are notoriously wrong. So I found my own CPAP, tried it, and WOW my apnea symptoms are now gone! Could you please write me a Rx?" Something to that effect. Depending on the doctor, they could be willing to see it your way, and help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
First night on Resmed AirSense Autoset :-)

Overall not the most comfortable experience in the world but breathing is much easier and I think I'll get used to it. I haven't slept a whole bunch but I think I did some. Not sure if you can tell from the charts.
My PulseOxi report is perfect. Not a single drop.

Attached is Oscar chart - does it tell you anything of special interest?

Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   CPAP_20200814220911_OXIRecord.pdf (Size: 311.67 KB / Downloads: 4)
Post Reply Post Reply
Although a great AHI number, you have a lot of breaks in therapy. Could be due to the FL which drives the pressure up.

If you want the full benefit of EPR, which will help with the FL, your minimum pressure should be set to 7cm. You could even bring the max pressure down.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
7 low
10 high
no ramp
Those would be my settings looking at your chart.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll make the adjustments.

Do you see anything in there that the machine tried to fix and point to a chart area that is indicative of underlying problem?

The machine did something. None of my PulseOxi charts were that good within the past 3 weeks.
I also feel overall great today. Aware and present. Also no usual morning acid reflux that I got so used to. I'm surprised if that's somehow connected to sleep issues.
Basically it tells me that the machine did something.

I'm asking all those questions because on Wednesday I do have a sleep doc appointment. Ideally, I'd like to go and show him in "see here in the chart" kind of style and ask for prescription and insurance coverage going forward.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
The previous suggestions mainly seek to stabilize your pressure by starting at a useful therapy pressure, and also where the exhale pressure relief is consistent. The rule of thumb for minimum pressure is to set it at 4.0 + EPR, in your case with EPR at 3, that is 4+3=7. Starting a a minimum pressure of 7.0 prevents events from occurring rather than responding to them, and is much less disruptive to sleep. Your therapy is good, and your AHI low, even with low pressure, so the priority in any settings needs to be comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 166 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 849 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 1,025 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 2,066 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 477 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Prescription for BiPAP DanEm 11 1,235 12-25-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to get a prescription - live in rural area Madison320 22 2,461 11-11-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Madison320

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.