Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Prescription rights
RE: Prescription rights
(08-02-2016, 12:48 AM)icyura10 Wrote: And then there's a mixmaster of confusion if you are covered by an insurance company and you are in / on medicare or SSDI.

This is messed up!

So much for reduced medical costs that were supposed to accompany the "Affffffffffffffordable Health Care".... and the legislation that had to be passed so we could find out what was in it! Oh-jeezHuhHuhsignCrazyDodgyOopsOhwellThumbs-down-1Crying-into-tissueeeewcrygreen

There's a lot I could say. The only way you are going to have it all the same in every state is to have a one-payer system. That means everybody follows the same rules. That's what Medicare does now for the elderly and disabled (and it is NOT free - you pay every month for Medicare). Ask everybody here how that's working for them. Medicare is very similar to Kaiser in CA. If you want something that doesn't fit their cog, you pay out-of-pocket. This practice was going on long before the Affordable Health Care Act.
Post Reply Post Reply
All I know is I needed a new CPAP machine about a year ago because the one I was issued in 2006 was worn out. I called my PCP Office and requested a copy of my original Script for CPAP. They faxed it to me. I eMailed a copy of that prescription with my order for new APAP machine, one arrived 3 days later. I didn't like the mask provided after 30 days, APRIA wanted new script to order a new mask they didn't have in stock. So, in Lakewood, CO anyway, it depends on whom you deal with.
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2016, 07:48 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 12:48 AM)icyura10 Wrote: And then there's a mixmaster of confusion if you are covered by an insurance company and you are in / on medicare or SSDI.

This is messed up!

So much for reduced medical costs that were supposed to accompany the "Affffffffffffffordable Health Care".... and the legislation that had to be passed so we could find out what was in it! Oh-jeezHuhHuhsignCrazyDodgyOopsOhwellThumbs-down-1Crying-into-tissueeeewcrygreen

There's a lot I could say. The only way you are going to have it all the same in every state is to have a one-payer system. That means everybody follows the same rules. That's what Medicare does now for the elderly and disabled (and it is NOT free - you pay every month for Medicare). Ask everybody here how that's working for them. Medicare is very similar to Kaiser in CA. If you want something that doesn't fit their cog, you pay out-of-pocket. This practice was going on long before the Affordable Health Care Act.

Medicare has one of the highest user satisfaction ratings of any healthcare system in the world. It has it's problems and as you say is not free, but it works for most people. I am on medicare and I am absolutely happy with it. Much more so than the policies I had at work for decades. And way more than any of my kids feelings about their commercial healthcare which costs them an arm and a leg and leaves them bankrupt at the first major medical expense.

ACA on the other hand was simply a Christmas gift to insurance companies. It provides for the poorest with improved medicad (where the states sign up for it) but for middle class and above ACA sucks. It really is way passed the time for us to come into the 21 century and provide a single payer healthcare solution better than anyone else in the world - remember when we were better at doing things? (Sorry, rant over)
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2016, 08:28 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: We require you to have a $3,000 sleep study in order to pay $600 for a new CPAP machine." Bright folks, them insurance companies employ to make rules.

OMMOHY

The price quoted has as much validity as the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) sticker on a car. Insurance companies do not pay retail and Medicare pays even less. It seems the prices are meant to screw the fee-for-service patients who do not negotiate or as a negotiating tactic with insurance companies.

If you want to see the "real" numbers, check out the site at http://www.aasmnet.org/articles.aspx?id=5933 and download the rvu study at http://www.aasmnet.org/resources/pdf/sle...U-2016.pdf
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2016, 07:23 PM)xdocgx Wrote: Thanks ...

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Hey, I must apologize to you.. Oh-jeez

It certainly wasn't my intention tol high jack your thread and turn it into a public whipping post... about every possible insurance payer system ... but you know,

We are now leaving the Twilight Zone and returning you to reality

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
For most insurance to pay you have to get an annual recertification. Thats big talk for go get a nurse prac to write a note that you are still using the machine and need one.

If you are self pay just a script from any md nurse prac or dentist will get you anything you want.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 165 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 849 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 1,025 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 2,066 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 477 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Prescription for BiPAP DanEm 11 1,235 12-25-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to get a prescription - live in rural area Madison320 22 2,460 11-11-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Madison320

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.