Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User...Can't Breathe Very Well?
RE: New User...Can't Breathe Very Well?
Thank you! Did it take you awhile to get used to exhaling through your nose and kind of feeling like it was difficult to breathe out at first?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP for a few months now and had no trouble exhaling until I switched to the mask you are using. Here is the discussion of my problems and potential solutions:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...al-Pillows

A quick summary: try a larger pillow size and make sure the pillows are seated correctly. Once I did that the hard to exhale immediately became easy to exhale. I hope it works for you too!
Post Reply Post Reply
yes! check your setting for EPR (exhale pressure relief) it give 1,2, or3 CM reduced pressure on exhale. Personally I still had problems with that and was changed to the AirCurve VPAP (BiLevel- where you set inhale and exhale pressures separately.

I also tried the P10 and could not use that, a full face mask (nose and mouth) give more room to exhale into and was much better even though I am not a mouth breather-it helped a lot with the exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Great!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2016, 12:03 AM)mabostic Wrote: Thank you! Did it take you awhile to get used to exhaling through your nose and kind of feeling like it was difficult to breathe out at first?

Jump into "Clinical Mode" and make sure your EPR is 3. This is the max pressure relief the machine can provide for exhaling. It works by backing off the pressure when you exhale so you don't need to fight as hard. You may not need 3, but it's a simple place to start.

I have the same setup as you and only started a few months ago. My biggest struggle was is when I first lay down to sleep I notice my breathing is elevated. Side bar: being overweight and walking up the stairs at night doesn't help. Once I calm down and my breathing goes back to normal, I notice no issues with exhaling.

I hope you feel better in the morning and get a great nights rest.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Melissa,

My main message to you is to hang in there and it will get better. I had the same problem for a few weeks after I started (I use a nasal mask now, but I started with nasal pillows). My max pressure was set by the Dr at up to 20 with a pressure ramp, but when I got to about 12 or so it became hard to exhale and I could not sleep - woke up tired and I was very frustrated and upset. Now I can breathe without difficulty (except when my nose is stuffy).

I first went back to the medical supply company and tried a nasal mask which helped a lot. If I were you ISmile would go back and try out several types of masks until I found one that was tolerable. Next I went back to the Dr and asked him to reprogram at a lower pressure which he didn't mind doing. Beyond this just try to go to bed able to breathe clearly through your nose (I have had success in the past using a Nettie pot, but no longer need one). Then try to stick it out and I truly think things will get better for you.

I notice now that I wake up less during the night and I no longer snore. Hang in there Melissa.

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,786 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,173 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,024 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Source for anataomy illustration of how we breathe nose only for CPAP? Stom 0 300 09-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Just got my machine - can’t breathe - any suggestions? tigress35 5 988 08-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Last Post: tigress35
  Waking up and unable to breathe easily stefanwlb 4 823 07-14-2023, 07:58 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.