Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Prescriptions
Question 
Prescriptions
Why do places like Resmed require you to have a prescription filled out in order to buy their masks? Do they think I'm gonna put it in a blender and huff the remains or something like that?

Also, my mask is making this whistling noise that's coming from the diffuser. I've already tried putting some porous cloth tape over the diffuser but it only slightly reduces the sound. I've only had that mask for a couple of months. Is there anyway to eliminate this noise without having to buy a new mask? It's a F20 Resmed mask. I also have a F10 mask that does the same thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Prescriptions
It's the FDA that requires an Rx for a mask. ResMed does not sell directly to the public; only to authorized distributors.
All masks, regardless of manufacturer, require an Rx in the USA. Why? Because they are the government; and they're here to help you!

As far as this forum is concerned, mask parts are considered Rx items.

The diffuser is part of the mask vent system; and should not be interfered with. Unless you really want to emulate your username: BlueDude.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to emphasise what JustMongo said - Do NOT block the vents on your mask. They are there to allow exhaled CO2 to escape. If you block them you may suffer CO2 poisoning or suffocation. If your vents are making excessive noise they probably need cleanng, not blocking.
Post Reply Post Reply
my F10 only makes noise when I get the vent hole near a blanket or pillow. it only whistles if it has been wet (cleaned) and then only until dampness subsides. not the most calming sound when trying to go off to sleep.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've already been cleaning it since I first got it. It still makes that noise regardless of whether or not it's wet.
Post Reply Post Reply
That noise is normal. Try a mask with diffuser on top of the head to help distribute the noise.
Try other masks in general.

If you dont want to hassle with Rx a lot of sites will sell masks as parts. So you buy the mask and headgear separately. Same price. Same thing. Just a way to do it legally.

I am glad there are prescription requirements. It makes sure these products are properly tested. The last thing i want to buy is a "silent diffuser" and i suffocate in my sleep because it has not gone through FDA testing.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason you need a prescription is because FDA regulates manufacturers. The FDA does not regulate sales of masks by individuals selling their own (secondary market). So, you can happily buy a mask from someone on Craigslist perfectly legally. California regulates sales of used machines (only state that does) but it is unclear if it extends to masks. They do it by calling cpaps 'dangerous medical devices'.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some masks, as well as some machines, are available without prescription at a very well known site. Do not understand how they can sell them, but I really don't care. Requiring a prescription is just forcing up the prices to ridiculous levels. It is really bad for people who cannot afford a sleep study so they cannot get an Rx (I know that there is help here, but people new to SA are unlikely to stumble across this site or any other SA specific site).
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Requiring a prescription is just forcing up the prices to ridiculous levels.

Not entirely. All medical equipment carries a premium, whether prescription or not. Here in Oz the machines are much more expensive than in the US, and we don't require a prescription. It's all about market forces, albeit in a highly distorted marketplace.

Quote: It is really bad for people who cannot afford a sleep study so they cannot get an Rx

Yes, but would you really want to go onto a lifelong therapy without a "proper" diagnosis? I don't think in-clinic titration tests are worth much, but I think the diagnostic test is essential. Apart from anything else it can often identify or exclude factors other than sleep apnea which may need attention.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] Aussie members - the official word on prescriptions and public health support. DeepBreathing 10 2,525 10-21-2020, 02:50 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Australian CPAP Company is asking for Prescriptions holden4th 4 1,443 06-19-2019, 03:21 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  EncorePro Accessory prescriptions jds2001 0 1,104 03-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Last Post: jds2001
  [Equipment] Prescriptions For CPAP Supplies Airstream 12 5,422 08-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Last Post: justMongo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.