Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure
Pressure
Quick question for everyone. I'm brand new to CPAP machine (2days). So my pressure has been set to 4 when I wake up the pressure has shot up to 16 is that a bad thing? Ive heard people go up to 10 or 11 while sleeping and I went way past that. Just curious
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure
Joe9101, Welcome to Apnea Board!

Which brand machine do you have?  Can I assume you are using an Apap, and your pressure is set at default settings of 4 minimum and 20 max?  If so, that probably is not an optimal range.

As far as the pressure rising to 16, it's not a problem if that's what you need.  But, know that pressure can rise for other reasons, like snoring and flow limitations.

Did you have a sleep study?  What was your total AHI, breakdown: obstructives, hypopneas, clear airways?

Please download #SleepyHead software and use the SD card in your machine to upload to the software and start managing your therapy.  When you get set up, follow the tutorials in my signature line and post a screenshot of your data here, then we can better advise.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...re-success
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.
New users' auto CPAP machines are often set min 4 max 20 to see what comes into use in the beginning weeks.  Higher pressures may occur and can have several causes - you may need it for obstructions, mask shifts/leak, bad sleeping position (chin tuck), etc.  Once you get software and history going, you'll be able to see average and low/high pressures with timing (time of night, clusters, duration).  Did you get a prescription for initial pressure settings?  It's good to get and keep a copy so you can see what your provider saw and measured.

Please review, under the Main forum tab, "New to Apnea? Helpful tips to Ensure Success."      http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-New-to-Apnea-Helpful-tips-to-ensure-success

Good luck with the  Sleep-well journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a respironics dream station, its a cpap machine, yes it goes from 4-20, and honestly I'm not sure what the breakdown was during my sleep test all my doctor told me was I had severe sleep apnea. I'm going to see him on the 26th ill find out the details then.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I just figured I'd ask like I said I'm brand new to it ill give it a few months see what happens, it does say on my machine I have 100% coverage when it comes to the mask and I fall asleep on my back and wake up on my back so I'm not sure how much I'm moving, but I appreciate the feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you turn yr Dreamstn upside down (after you remove the humidifier tray & water!!), you can take pics with yr phone and see the type of machine you have.  Mine has two stickers, one for the humidifier and one for the auto CPAP.  Please put the info in yr profile. 

And you'll want to know it to make sure that they gave you the right type of machine when you can compare to what your Doc ordered.
Post Reply Post Reply
I slept with a constant 15 now and lots of people here use more advanced machines that go much higher than that.  You need what you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Joe9101,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take time to get used to, so just stick with it, it does get better.
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
agree with you need what you need, I used 15-20 on cpap. I would do an 'initial' adjustment of 10-20 until you can get you sleepyhead working and some charts up. It should help with your AHI. I would also use flex for feeling of easy breathe out and if you use ramp, have 6 as a start pressure for the minutes it takes to build to 10.
both the how to change settings manual and sleepyhead is in the links top of page.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,629 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,349 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,348 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,646 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.