Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure 6.5 cmH2O. Should I bother with CPAP?
Question 
I've been working with the sleep clinic with Kaiser. Originally I just went in because I never felt rested during the day so apnea problems were suspected. After an @home sleep study they diagnosed me with mild sleep apena. 8.3 average AHI, but 14.2 AHI during REM sleep which almost puts me on moderate territory.

After a week of an auto CPAP use for titration, the machine seems to be choosing an average of 6.5 cmH2O so I've been prescribed a machine with that setting or auto 4-8 cmH2O.

Seems like my apnea problems are minor and could go without the trouble of getting a machine (my plan doesn't have CPAP coverage so I should get my own). The first nights with the loaner were rough, but the last 3 were quite good and felt rested the next day. Not sure if it was the machine or I simply slept better than normal.

My question for the CPAP experts around here. Should I actually bother about all this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure 6.5 cmH2O. Should I bother with CPAP?
(05-07-2014, 08:38 PM)cpaplvr Wrote: Seems like my apnea problems are minor and could go without the trouble of getting a machine (my plan doesn't have CPAP coverage so I should get my own). The first nights with the loaner were rough, but the last 3 were quite good and felt rested the next day. Not sure if it was the machine or I simply slept better than normal
Hello cpaplvr and welcome
No accident here, CPAP doing what suppose to do, treat your sleep apnea and make you feel better
Some members are on lower pressure than yours, you might need more pressure during REM or on your back

As buying your own machine, check suppliers #2 prices
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Machines choices wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

Must-see video for new Sleep Apnea patients
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._%28SDB%29
Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
You went in for a reason, and I don't think it's going to disappear. I would get a machine used or C list or where ever you have to and use it for a few months. It does work and I think you need it. Look for a auto full reporting machine and do your home work on the pressures. Life is better with "the hose".
Good Luck, Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2014, 08:38 PM)cpaplvr Wrote: My question for the CPAP experts around here. Should I actually bother about all this?

YES!

Just because the pressure is low doesn't mean you don't have "bad apnea."

8.3/14.2 isn't as bad as many people are, but we usually get worse with age. You might also be getting poor quality sleep due to breathing problems that aren't bad enough to officially qualify as "apnea" in the sleep test.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cpaplvr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I agree with what has been said so far.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Should you bother with it?

If a strange man were standing over you while you slept and choking you about 8.3 times per hour, should you bother to do something to get rid of that guy so you could get a decent night's sleep?

It won't go away on its own - you need to get and use the machine.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys for your responses.

Money is not really much of a concern because it's my health at stake. I thought my health insurance was gonna cover the CPAP but they just don't. I have a plan I bought myself on the Obamacare exchange in California(USA) and I've been very happy with them. I don't know why they are not covering the CPAP, but they've covered my sleep study, classes and even free masks 100%. I asked for a 'nasal pillow' mask and they just gave me one for free (ResMed Swift FX).

Kaiser has been pretty good dealing with the lack of coverage for my CPAP and they are referring me with a wide range of local and online vendors that offer new and second hand machines. They have cut a deal with a local shop here in SF California (Sleepquest) and they negotiated rate for a brand new ResMed S9 AutoSet + H5i humidifier +ClimateLine heated tube is $650 all in which seems competitive from what I've seen. It got this machine and I have one month to give it a try. I can return the machine minus some restocking fee if it doesn't work out.

This is obviously the start of a new phase for me. I was not totally shocked about the sleep apnea diagnosis. I've had really poor sleep the last few years and lately my partner had been telling me I was snoring a lot and running out of breath often. I recorded audio of myself and it was clear I was not breathing for a while at some moments. My visit to the sleep clinic formalized my suspicions. Nonetheless it feels odd having to rely on machinery to achieve good sleep and I'm assuming it will take time to adjust. I'm currently 38 and not really overweight so there doesn't seem much of a reason for this problem to go away on it's own. If anything it may get worse.

Hoping this new start for me is just the beginning of better things to come.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2014, 08:38 PM)cpaplvr Wrote: The first nights with the loaner were rough, but the last 3 were quite good and felt rested the next day.

That's your answer, right there. :-)

(05-07-2014, 10:21 PM)cpaplvr Wrote: They have cut a deal with a local shop here in SF California (Sleepquest) and they negotiated rate for a brand new ResMed S9 AutoSet + H5i humidifier +ClimateLine heated tube is $650 all in which seems competitive from what I've seen.

It's an excellent machine, the best of the 3 I've tried, and I had to pay cash for mine as well... sadly, I'm in Canada, and paid almost 2.5 times that...

Quote: I'm currently 38 and not really overweight so there doesn't seem much of a reason for this problem to go away on it's own. If anything it may get worse.

You're right, it won't go away. This is the better choice. The machinery seems strange, at first, but you'll get used to it. I'm recently engaged, and even my new fiancee has gotten used to it - faster then I did - and I took a moment to teach her how to get it off me if she feels an urgent need for a kiss. :-)

Quote:Hoping this new start for me is just the beginning of better things to come.

It is.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2014, 08:38 PM)cpaplvr Wrote: My question for the CPAP experts around here. Should I actually bother about all this?

The amount of pressure needed has nothing to do with the severity of the sleep apnea. A low pressure just means that because of your anatomy it's especially easy for the CPAP machine to open your airway.

Keeping your airway open is all that matters.

Should you bother with all this? You should feel lucky that you were able to adapt so quickly to CPAP therapy and that you started feeling better after only three nights. That is so awesome.

You should bother with all this because without it you will lead a miserable sleep-deprived life and die early of a heart attack or stroke. Without CPAP therapy your body can't get the deep restorative type of sleep you need to live a full life and maintain meaningful and healthy relationships with the people in your life.

We are so lucky to be living in a time when this condition is so easily treated. Just a generation ago people had to live with this condition largely untreated.

You and I are lucky to have this option available to us.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are showing improvements with CPAP, then you should continue with it - even a mild improvement can have huge knock-on effects to your general health and well being, reducing any number of potential chronic illnesses and problems. The low pressure is actually not significant in making this decision - the AHI and other factors are. Mostly the low pressure is indicating that you do not yet need a lot of pressure to keep your throat open, and that is a very positive sign - your weight, age and general health are contributing factors to this. On the whole, despite the "sticker shock", you are being offered a very good machine, and I would certainly jump at the offer if you wish to continue to live a vigorous and productive life. I might make one minor suggestion - if you can get to try out the brand new Resmed Airfit P10 and see if you have even better comfort or reaction to it over the Swift mask, do so. It can be quite comfortable and some members do like it, others not so much, but it is a step up in certain areas (mostly the venting system, which is far quieter and gentler than on the Swift masks).

What this is, very clearly, is NOT a waste of time - you DO need it. Good luck, and happy sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 236 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 277 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.