Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Advice
Advice
Hi All. I'm new here and I'm wondering if any of you can provide advice. I have a Dreamstation but the results are generally poor (AHI can be over 10 after a nights sleep with zero leak) so I'm wondering what your thoughts are? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Denis.

PS. I've been changing the pressure settings hoping to bring the AHI down. I've attached a screen shot.    
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice
Follow the wiki guide and post a screenshot
https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...Daily_Page
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks. Is this format good?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that's bad. Do you have a copy of your sleep study you can upload?
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board.

The first and obvious problem is that you are tucking your chin and as such are causing apnea events that no amount of pressure can fix. See how your obstructive events are clustered together? That is the tell.

Read the Soft Cervical collar linked in my signature below. Are you using multiple pillows? If so cut back, that isn't helping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tired Denis, can you post the chart while including the information about pressure, flow limits, and leaks?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the responses guys.

The first attachment has flow and leak, I've pressure included now. Is this the correct screenshot? I'm new to SleepHead also so still finding my feet.

I'm going to remove all my pillows tonight also to see if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to AB TiredDenis, my opinion is all pillows need not be removed, just reduce, or minimize, if you use several. Try to balance the reduction of pillows without hindering comfort too much.

To your near future sleep success Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's not be too hasty to do what systems engineers call 'the quick fix that backfires!!'

You're already under stress.  Stress means elevated cortisol, which releases more glucose into the bloodstream, which, if kept up for weeks and months, means weight gain.

There is one bit of advice above which you should take to heart from those of us who routinely provide analysis and then guidance on what to change, and how to change what needs it.  That was to get a cervical collar.  If you normally sleep rather well, all things considered, by using one or two pillows, you might find that removing one or all of them grossly interferes with your rest.  Cortisol.  Insulin resistance.  Metabolic syndrome. Weight gain. 

Patients need to take small steps, trial the results over several days to look for a persistent and reliable change, and then change more if it seems reasonable to do.

I suggest removing at most one pillow, or better, keep what works and try something to overcome your tendency to tuck your chin.  For example, what if you do mostly supine sleeping? Will removing one or more pillows alter that and nothing else?  I guess there's only one way to find out, but we find that the collar seems to be the less invasive into your safe space called sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I just ordered a collar off Amazon, so hopefully I'll see some improvements. I have an appointment with my sleep doctor at the end of March, I didn't really want to wait that long to figure out what the issue is.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,783 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 786 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.