Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Advice
RE: Advice
FYI, it is extremely unlikely that your sleep doctor would have picked up the chin tucking, let alone suggest a cervical collar. More likely the response would have been "you have a lot of obstructive apneas, let's raise the pressure a little and see me in 3 (if you are lucky) months."
Post Reply Post Reply
Tired Denis,

There should be a way to post with chart information on the left hand column which shows the minimum pressure, median pressure, 95% pressure, and max pressure.

I don’t understand how your pressure range can be set minimum 10, maximum 20 but your pressure graph only hits a max of 11. Why isn’t the pressure going higher if you are having obstructions? Maybe someone else can chime in. I don’t have your machine, so maybe there is someone else who can comment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Coffee Man,

Iv'e added the screen shot now (this is from the data set from the initial post, I also posted last nights data with a different AHI etc.)

Bonjour - it sounds like I'm wasting my time going back to that guy so! Thanks for the advice. I removed the pillows last night, it actually got worse, any idea?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Denis. Are you still using SleepyHead? If so, can I suggest you upgrade to OSCAR, which is a newer version with fewer bugs. I suspect Seepyhead isn't reading your machine data quite right. The next version of OSCAR, which is currently going through beta testing will have a complete new Philips Respironics module so all the existing bugs should be squashed.

And I think we gave you the wrong wiki article to look at to adjust your screenshots. Please see this page, which will give you the correct instructions. It looks like you're using a low resolution screen so it might be hard to fit everything in but we should lose a few items from your present screenshots to accommodate the more important stuff.
  • First, turn off the pie chart. Files | Preferences | Appearance | Show event breakdown piechart
  • Turn off the following event flags: Vibratory snore (VS2), Breathing not detected, and Pressure pulse.
  • Show the following graphs: Event flags, Flow rate, Leak rate, Pressure, Snore
  • Adjust the height of the graphs by putting your mouse cursor on the horizontal line between them and dragging up or down.

That way we'll be able to see the most important stuff and read it more clearly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey DB,

Thanks for the help advice. I've now installed OSCAR and printed the report to PDF, the file is too large so again I'm attaching a screen shot based your recommendations. Is this correct?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That's much easier to read - thanks.

The two things that continue to jump out are the clustering of events, and the fact the machine is only going to a very low pressure despite the number of obstructive apneas.

The clustering suggests your airway is being compromised by tucking your chin to your chest. This is very common, though not widely recognised by the profession. The best solution is to try a soft cervical collar, which will help hold your chin up and your neck in a slightly extended position. Read about it here..

The pressure is a bit of a puzzle. I'd suggest you increase your minimum to around 7.0. That should make breathing more comfortable and get rid of some of the apneas and hypopneas. It's also the case that Philips machines are a bit slow to react, so having a higher starting pressure might make it more effective overall. However until you get the clustering sorted, all the pressure in the world won't fix the obstruction. Try the collar and see how it goes. I suspect you'll see a big improvement, and we can fine tune the pressures later.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pillows didn't work, all that means is we didn't get lucky,
Setting min pressure =7 is a good idea that and let's see what the collar does.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks guys, greatly appreciated. The collar is arriving Tuesday, so looking forward to seeing what the outcome is. I will up the pressure for tonight. I have a travel pillow, it may not stay in place but I might give it a go tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Guys - it worked! Thanks for all the advice. My AHI was 1.6 after last night which is pretty amazing. I guess I can cancel the expensive trip to the sleep doc.

Really appreciate all the help and advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I( love a success story in the morning like Thanks Amazing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 252 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,783 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 786 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.