Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Advice
RE: Advice
Congrats! I knew the collar was going to have remarkable results, and it's not the first time.

Going back to Coffee Man's comment above where he couldn't understand why your machine was only going to 11.0 cm pressure with all that obstruction. The answer is the Philips Auto poor challenged algorithm for pressure that relies heavily on snoring to warn of impending apnea. With positional obstruction, there is often no warning. The airway closes, and it's too late to increase pressure. Resmed uses flow limitation (a decreasing flow rate during inspiration) to raise pressure, and it usually raises pressure pretty fast ahead of obstructive events, including positional apnea, but even Resmed can't break through a positional block.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guys,

I'm doing great, feeling a lot better but thinking I can get it down a bit more. The AHI last night was 4.8, which is still a lot better than it was. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on these readings and if there is anything further I can do to lower it? Again, many thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 3 of your AHI is CA’s there is not much you can do to help that, our only suggestion would be to try reducing the flex setting on your machine
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that you have resolved much of the need for higher pressure by using a collar, we might be able to try lower CPAP pressure to start. Keeping the Flex setting low (1) and reducing minimum pressure to 10.0 may result in improvement of CA results without triggering more obstructive apnea. CA events will tend to be transient and they are not at a very severe level for you. My suspicion is that they will eventually attenuate even if you do nothing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just adding more info on CAs..

I don't know if you've been using a PAP machine for a long time or if you just began recently.

If you started recently, your CAs may be "treatment-emergent CAs" caused by the fact that your breathing is now more efficient and therefore clearing out lots of CO2 from your blood. Although that sounds like it is a desirable thing to achieve, the brain uses excess CO2 levels as a trigger or reason to breathe in the first place.
The CAs may be caused by this new level of CO2 that your body is experiencing. After 2 to 3 months of continuous PAP machine usage your body will acclimatize to the new lower levels of CO2 and the CAs may spontaneously disappear (or attenuate as sleeprider said). Sometimes CAs don't clear up after 2 or 3 months but we won't know until you've been on therapy for a while.

For more details on treatment-emergent CAs read the information in the link from my sig.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like to add that many users get concerned at the total number of events, but it only takes 10 seconds of not breathing to record an event.  Expand the Events ⇾ Clear Airway on the left side of the Daily Screen.  The value within the parentheses "( )" is the time in seconds.  I look at these numbers as a magnitude value.  I regard any number below 20 as "Don't lose any sleep over".  As these numbers grow (if they do), I would start to take a closer look to see what conditions may have precipitated them.  

The bottom line is to remember that you are in a better place than before you started treatment.

Sleep-well
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 273 14 minutes ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 857 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,790 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 788 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.