Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: Pressure Advice
(03-10-2014 01:51 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  The other thing to be wary of is changing your parameters too quickly. If you change your pressure, don't touch it again for a couple of weeks. You're looking for trends not instantaneous results. If you change the pressure frequently and other things as well (eg a different mask) then you won't be able to unscramble the effects of those changes. So one change at a time, leave if for a few weeks, then review.

It' sort of like adjusting a carburetor. Change too many things at once, and you'll lose the rabbit.

BTW -- PaulaO2 has alien scanners; and now there's an elbow test??? What's an elbow test. It sure meant something different when I was a young man.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-10-2014 06:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
olmate Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage™ FX Nasal-Standard
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 6-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(03-10-2014 03:24 AM)me50 Wrote:  olmate, can you post your data from sleepyhead so we can help you more? if we can see that, we can make suggestions on your pressure settings. you pretty much have your machine wide open. Did you see a doc that told you that you had OSA? Who wrote the script for you to have a CPAP machine? have you been back to see that doc?

If you need help posting your graphs from sleepyhead, let us know. We can help you better by seeing that data.

Ill give it a go but i have sexy fingers when it comes to computersOh-jeez
03-10-2014 06:37 AM
olmate Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

It' sort of like adjusting a carburetor. Change too many things at once, and you'll lose the rabbit.

BTW -- PaulaO2 has alien scanners; and now there's an elbow test??? What's an elbow test. It sure meant something different when I was a young man.
[/quote]

speaking of adjusting things my mask leaks a lot where it clips in...is that normal?

also the elbow test was that done while alone?
03-10-2014 06:47 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(03-10-2014 06:47 AM)olmate Wrote:  speaking of adjusting things my mask leaks a lot where it clips in...is that normal?

Your mask shouldn't leak so much that you notice it. The Resmed gives you a quick indication by way of the smiley face Smile or frowny face Angry on the little screen. A smiley means your leaks were under 24 L/min for 70% of the night.

(03-10-2014 06:47 AM)olmate Wrote:  also the elbow test was that done while alone?

Certainly not! Actually I remember two elbow tests - one related to employing a secretary and the other was the definition of a gentleman. Dielaughing Not sure which one Mongo was referring to.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-10-2014 07:47 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi olmate,
First of all, I encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy as it can take some getting used to.
Did you have a sleep study and if so, do you know what your titrated pressure is? That would help if we knew that so that if you set a tighter range that could be more helpful for you.
Best of luck, don't give up and hang in there for more suggestions.

trish6hundred
03-10-2014 07:51 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(03-10-2014 06:47 AM)olmate Wrote:  speaking of adjusting things my mask leaks a lot where it clips in...is that normal?

Leaks are not good. The machine can keep up with leaks; but cannot provide pressure support when the leaks are too great. A high leak is generally >24LPM. The mask has a vent that is supposed to blow air, it purges exhaled breath from the mask and tubing.

It should not leak where the clips that hold the straps click in. Do you mean it leaks where the cushion clips into the mask frame? If so, then the cushion is not properly installed.

Many people have trouble with leaks where the mask forms a seal with the face. Finding the right mask for you -- one that's effective and comfortable may take several trials. For my "moon face" a full face mask; one that covers the nose and mouth works best.
Your Mileage May Vary.

03-10-2014 07:52 AM
olmate Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(03-10-2014 07:51 AM)trish6hundred Wrote:  Hi olmate,
First of all, I encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy as it can take some getting used to.
Did you have a sleep study and if so, do you know what your titrated pressure is? That would help if we knew that so that if you set a tighter range that could be more helpful for you.
Best of luck, don't give up and hang in there for more suggestions.

Im no quitter trish6hundred

I could have went to Flemington with the grand this thing cost me

Ill hang in because the mask doesn't worry me in the slightest
03-10-2014 08:02 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
olmate Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

It should not leak where the clips that hold the straps click in. Do you mean it leaks where the cushion clips into the mask frame? If so, then the cushion is not properly installed.

Sorry for the half post Mango but i knew what i was talking about

Where the hose pushes on to the fitting that clips into the mask....NOT the hose ..the bit that clips in to the mask leaks....I might have an O ring that will fix that if need be

now about that elbowUnsure
03-10-2014 08:10 AM
olmate Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(03-10-2014 07:47 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  

Your mask shouldn't leak so much that you notice it. The Resmed gives you a quick indication by way of the smiley face Smile or frowny face Angry on the little screen. A smiley means your leaks were under 24 L/min for 70% of the night.

(03-10-2014 06:47 AM)olmate Wrote:  also the elbow test was that done while alone?

Certainly not! Actually I remember two elbow tests - one related to employing a secretary and the other was the definition of a gentleman. Dielaughing Not sure which one Mongo was referring to.

Now i am confused....I thought the smiley face was related to the elbow testCool
03-10-2014 08:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I'm not familiar with your mask but most do intentionally leak around the swivel - in fact there is a ring of vent holes around the connector. This is to enable your exhaled air (complete with CO2) to escape. If that vent wasn't there you wouldn't be able to exhale and you'd start to suffocate in your own CO2. If that's what you're seeing, don't for heavens sake try to seal it! Crazy

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

03-10-2014 08:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  advice for diagnosis steps to take odoyle 12 415 Yesterday 11:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 8 186 12-02-2016 10:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  ADVICE ON THIS DATA Gazz 3 246 11-21-2016 11:13 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  new user wants advice Gazz 3 221 11-19-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Advice needed for struggling CPAP user Fubblin 35 1,961 11-18-2016 07:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need full face mask advice Bob32256 11 582 11-12-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,236 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore