Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] After two hours CPAP machine is about to blow my mask offf
After two hours CPAP machine is about to blow my mask offf
Clearly I am not getting the help I need, but I don't know where to get better help, so I need advice with that. I also don't know where all the printouts I see on here are coming from so I need help with how to find better information about my sleep patterns.

Two nights ago the pressure on my Dreamweaver CPAP was changed from a 7 to automatic . Since then I can only use the machine for about two hours before I wake up with the pressure about to blast my mask off my face. It is loudly leaking all around the seal, and it is still not making much difference in the AHI numbers for those two hours. 

My sleep study number was 35 AHI. I have never been treated so that my AHI is in a good range. Recently the machine was recording an AHI between 19 and 30. Between the doctor and the respiratory therapist there hasn't been any good follow up and I don't know how to correct this. 

I am tired and sleepy almost all the time. I am very discouraged by all of this and need to find a ray of hope from somewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: After two hours CPAP machine is about to blow my ask offf
Welcome to the Board. First thing you want to do is download sleepyhead and post a chart from it here. There are links just below that you can use.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I have downloaded SleepyHead. I discovered that my machine does have a card of some kind. Is there any information already posted on this forum about how to remove it to read it? I am afraid I will damage something if I break things down any further. 

Post Reply Post Reply
push in on the sd card and then release and it will pop out. you aren't going to hurt it.

It is a learning curve and the pressure you feel now will be gone in a week and you'll be wondering if the machine is still on when you wake up.

the first thing is to get the leaks sorted. this should help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqLpO6ubYw8
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
It is good I didn't try to remove what I was looking at. It was not the CD card. One of the videos you gave me the link to helped me find the CD card. I have the card inserted in a CD reader and that is inserted in my computer. Now what I am having trouble with is being able to read what is on there. I tried copying the info to SleepyHead, but it isn't in a readable format. I thought SleepyHead would convert it to readable format and it didn't.

I don't understand how I can test my mask fit when the beginning pressure is nowhere near the pressure the machine is on when it starts leaking. The mask fits well when I got to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
jggdesigner, you need to know how your machine works. You can download the free CPAP setup manual here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Here is a quick tutorial on how to access and change settings: http://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-c...structions
If you will go into the settings menu and tell us what the minimum and maximum pressure is set to, we can help limit that pressure. Having the Sleepyhead results helps, but most important, you have to be able to use the machine to get any benefit. There is no doubt we can help you get comfortable and effective treatment. Be patient and try to get us the information we will need to help you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could also try reading a book or wathing tv with yoh mask on to help get more comfortable with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
jggdesigner Wrote:I don't understand how I can test my mask fit when the beginning pressure is nowhere near the pressure the machine is on when it starts leaking.

Your machine has a mask fit feature which provides high pressure when you first mask up. The following is extracted from the user manual (Page 15 on my copy):

Check Mask Fit
The optional check mask fit feature can be enabled or disabled by your home care provider. This feature allows you to
check the fit of your mask prior to starting therapy. This is done by measuring the amount of leak. Put on your mask
assembly. Refer to your mask instructions if needed. Navigate to the Check Mask Fit screen under “My Setup” and
press the control dial to initiate the check.
The device will deliver a test pressure while the screen counts down 40 seconds. A green bar indicates good fit, while
a red bar indicates improvement is needed.  After the test, normal therapy will start and the screen will either display
a green checkmark or a red “X”. The green checkmark indicates that the leak found allows for optimal performance
of the device. The red “X” indicates that the leak may affect device performance, however, the device will remain
functional and deliver therapy.

Ensure that the feature has been enabled. If not, either get your provider to do it, or else (my recommendation) get hold of the clinical manual and learn how to do it yourself.

jggdesigner Wrote:I tried copying the info to SleepyHead, but it isn't in a readable format. I thought SleepyHead would convert it to readable format and it didn't.

I may have misunderstood you here, but you don't copy the data into #SleepyHead, you open the SleepyHead program, select import data from the main screen and navigate to the drive representing your CD card (eg it might be Drive F: or Drive G: or something like that). Point to the drive itself, not to any folders within the drive. SH will then download the data from your card and store it in a format that SH can use. You can then click on the overview or daily tab to see your detailed information.

If for some reason SH rejects the data, it may be that you have a non-compatible machine. Remove the humidifier, flip the machine over and read the model number from the label, then let us know what you've got.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry that you're not sleeping well. You will very likely get the help you need right here on this forum.

There seem to be two situations to address:

1. settings
2. mask fit

I have had the experience of the mask turning into a hovercraft. I am a newbie, too.

I can't give advice on settings, but can on masks:

a. Search this forum for Amara. You will find posts that are specific to leaks and how to adjust the Amara. IIRC there's been a thread in the last week or so.
a2. I like the videos by LankyLefty on Youtube. IMO he's particularly good at mask issues.
b. When you redo the settings, make sure they get set so they minimize sudden blasts.
c. Mask leakage is very aggravating. It can really thwart your treatment. Keep plugging away at it.
d. Consider the possibility that you have the wrong mask for your face. Every face is different, every mask style is different. You may have to try several.
e. Use the mask fit option on your device. Use it every time you put on your mask. It will blast at your top pressure, so you can get the mask situated perfectly in advance so you won't be woken up by the mask letting loose in the middle of the night.
f. Don't take the mask off to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Disconnect via the hose, so you don't have to redo the fit.
g. Don't watch a clever comedian on TV or in your dreams. Laughing transfigures your face, and your dimples will unseal the mask. Boom! Thar she blows!
h. If you have a mask that's so temperamental you are getting extremely frustrated, blame the mask, not you. Get a different mask. Find one where the leaks are in the range of manageable from the beginning, so you can perfect the seal. You don't want to stick with something you have no way of fixing without huge frustration.

I had trouble with my first mask (a P10) but didn't realize it. I thought I must just not be finding the perfect fit. It leaked and leaked. I was getting neither treatment nor sleep. It got worse and worse.

I finally realized it was most important for me to not be hugely frustrated, otherwise I wouldn't get treatment or sleep until the end of time. I made myself a plan so I could maximize my confidence about using CPAP; that became my priority. So, I did whatever it took to get that confidence.

I tried different masks (even though I loved the little P10) and found one that I could work with to get where I wanted.

I figured I wasn't getting treatment anyway because of the extent of the leaks at full pressure, so I lowered my top pressure even though I wasn't getting full apnea treatment at first.  I raised the pressure by 1 every few days once I got a handle on leakage.

This method has worked very well for me. I feel a much greater sense of mastery than before, and I'm almost up to the prescribed pressure. I learned alot just doing this.

Now I use the P10 for naps or when I just need a few nips of easy breathing while I'm using the computer. It only leaks at deeper sleep stages.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
HalfAsleep,This does help a lot. You are correct about the two issues. All I will be able to do tonight is work on the mask fit now that I understand better how that will help me.

I tried to get into the clinical settings on my machine a little earlier and couldn't, so I still don't know what my settings are, or how to change them.

Thanks, everyone, for all the great advice so far. If I don't respond be patient, I have house guests and an imminent death in the family, and that is why I will give up on the settings for tonight.

You have all given me hope again and that is a very good thing.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,721 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 250 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.