Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] After two hours CPAP machine is about to blow my mask offf
RE: After two hours CPAP machine is about to blow my ask offf
You are correct about what I did wrong. I will follow your instructions tomorrow. Thank you for taking the time to clarify this for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone will be along who has experience with the Dreamstation.... I can’t help you there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jggdesigner,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
I am sorry to hear about the eminent death in your family.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My first step today was to print out all the info you gave me yesterday. I realize a lot of it is also at the top of the Apnea Board page.

I finally have the data from my CPAP machine imported into SleepyHead, and was surprised to learn that as soon as I remove the card from the port on my computer, I lose all the data.

I was also surprised to see that the print in SleepyHead is too small to read and that some words are overriding others. Then I realized it is because this is a high resolution computer monitor I am using to view SleepyHead Data. Does anyone know if I will be able to read the words if I hook up an external monitor that is not high resolution? Some programs can be used that way, others can't. For example, I still can't read the command prompts in Photoshop Elements on an external monitor, but I can read them in the full version of Adobe Photoshop. I have forgotten how to hook up and use the external monitor so that is why I am asking first. I will have a learning curve all over again so it will take awhile.

Right now I can't even read the help info in SleepyHead.

Here is what I found under therapy settings on my CPAP machine. 

The mode is Auto. 
Opti-Start is off.
EZ-Start is off. 
Auto-Min is 4.
Auto-Max is 20

For the last 10 months I was using a constant pressure of 7. I'd say a jump from 7 to as much as 20 is a difficult change to adjust to in one day. No wonder I am having difficulty and no wonder I have a hovercraft on my face!

It sounds like some folks here will have suggestions for me about how to change these setting to work better for me. I look forward to hearing them.

I did use the mask fit feature last night to tighten my mask and even though it dug into my check bones I managed to sleep for 1.4 hours before the mask developed a loud leak at a point on my lower left chin. At that point I was just too sleepy to deal with it and didn't want to wake other folks up so I yanked it off and slept without a CPAP machine for the rest of the night. The mask fit feature was a big help even though it didn't work perfectly on the first try.

Thanks again for the good help so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you get your machine from insurance, you likely have a compliance obligation. Make it a priority to meet the criteria or they'll take away the machine. First priority, compliance. Runner-up priority getting mask and settings correct.

Unless you pass compliance, mask and settings will be irrelevant.

Your provider(s) is reading your compliance remotely.

Basic compliance: 4 hours per night for 70% of 30 consecutive days in the first 3 months. But verify with your provider.

Bottom line, do 4+ hours per night CPAP no matter what. And yes, you'll likely lower the upper setting to make things work for you, but someone else will tell you how. And getting a mask to fit well will make your compliance easier.

My first set up (with a P10) was leaky as all get out, drove me crazy, but after a while I realized it was more important to pass compliance than to get leak-perfection. I met those goals in about 3 weeks, and now I can relax as I go about getting everything the way my sleep needs it. This may mean changing a setting in the middle of the night, creating a mess while I try out a new mask, throwing off a mask in the night by mistake, drinking a cup of tea in the night because I can't sleep. All without pressure on me over whether they'll confiscate the CPAP. I can focus on my treatment.

My sleep center and DME are not interested in getting in my face; they have too many other people to worry about who aren't complying. This is a good thing.

--------

Before you put your SD in your computer, you have to lock it or you could lose the data on the card. You lock it with the little tab on the side. Before you put it back in the CPAP, unlock it again.

SleepyHead likely stored the data you already downloaded onto your computer, so it likely isn't lost altogether.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: After two hours CPAP machine is about to blow my mask offf
Quote:I finally have the data from my CPAP machine imported into SleepyHead, and was surprised to learn that as soon as I remove the card from the port on my computer, I lose all the data.

Can you be more specific please - do you mean the card gets erased, or the data doesn't show up in #SleepyHead? If you're using a Windows computer, remember to "Eject" the card using the icon in the bottom right corner of the Windows screen (the "system tray") before physically taking the card out of the slot. Your data is automatically stored by SleepyHead in the folder C:\Users\yourname\Sleepyhead\ There are a number of subfolders, but your main data is stored in ..\DATALOG

Quote:I was also surprised to see that the print in SleepyHead is too small to read and that some words are overriding others.

In #Sleepyhead, go to File | Preferences | Appearance. You will be able to adjust the chart sizes and fonts - with some experimenting, this should make things more legible for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead lets you change the preferences for font size, but on your high resolution screen, you can also right-click the screen and choose Display Settings, and switch to an alternative, lower resolution. 1920x1080 works well for Sleepyhead, and when you're done, just switch back.

Increase your minimum CPAP pressure to 7.0 so you get the same pressure you were accustomed to with CPAP. Set the Maximum CPAP pressure to 10 cm for now. You will get good results and comfort. If you leave the minimum pressure at 4.0, using Opti-Start will ensure your machine at least starts at an effective pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2017, 11:02 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Unless you pass compliance, mask and settings will be irrelevant.

I met compliance early inn 2017. The changes that are being made now are because my apnea is worse.

Quote:Before you put your SD in your computer, you have to lock it or you could lose the data on the card. You lock it with the little tab on the side. Before you put it back in the CPAP, unlock it again.

I didn't realize this. Thanks.

Quote:SleepyHead likely stored the data you already downloaded onto your computer, so it likely isn't lost altogether.

I won't figure this out until I can configure SleepyHead to be large enough to read and I don't know how to do that yet. Is anyone else using a Lenova Yoga who could help me with this?
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: thanks.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
This was great help. I can read the screen in SleepyHead now that I have set it to the resolution you suggested, 1920X1080.  

I set my machine at 4.0 min. and maybe 12.0 max., but I woke up with another leak and my AHI rate was so high I decided to reset the minimum to 7.0 and the maximum to 10.0 even before I received your advice. I already know it was good advice because I slept through the rest of the night. What a relief to sleep about 5 hours without waking up! My AHI was still 18 but that is better than the 35 it would have been without the CPAP machine.

I don't understand the next steps I should take yet, but I am so grateful I found this forum!!!  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 305 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,730 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 287 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 252 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.