Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] AirFit F20 Fittment and Pressure
AirFit F20 Fittment and Pressure
Greetings, I used a ResMed S9 Elite for 11 years with a ResMed Quattro FX (large) mask. A week ago I got a ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and a ResMed AirFit F20 (large). I told my DME that the F20 wasn't working as well for me as my old Quattro FX was, so I will be getting a new FX on Tuesday.

For the first few nights with the F20, I thought I had it adjusted well for my regular pressure of 11. During my sleep one night, there was a leak and so the AutoSet feature overcompensated by raising the pressure to 15.6. With that much pressure, the leak was exacerbated and the mask was pushed even further away from my face. The leak rate was a horrid 42 L/min. My best night with my old Quattro FX exhibited a leak rate of 7 L/min. The head gear of that headset is shot and that's why I'm not exclusively using it. Last night was the best leak rate of all with the F20 at 3 L/min. The lower straps were so tight that I'm sure I dreamed of being hanged in the old west. And the AHI count was 5.5, so not ideal. My max pressure reached was 13.6. 

My best AHI count was 1.7 with my old Quattro FX, so I'm glad I'm getting a new one soon. However, the leak rate that night was 30 L/min, so not ideal, either.

I'm new to the autoset feature and am not convinced that it's prudent to have a wide range of operation. My pulmonologist had the machine originally set to a range of 5 - 20, which I now know is less than ideal, from the bits of wisdom I've been able to glean from these forums. I've had my machine set to a range of 11 - 14 for the past few nights, which has worked pretty well, but decided to lower the high side to 12 today. Even if I do experience a leak, I think it's counterproductive for my machine to attempt to blow the mask off of my face and wake me up thinking I'm in the direct fiery exhaust of a jumbo jet engine. Plus, I don't want to have to adjust the mask so tightly that it takes six hours for the mask depressions in the skin on my face to subside. The head gear certainly won't last very long with that regimen. Nor will my neck.

I haven't downloaded the data from my SD card yet. I will wait until I receive the new Quattro FX and sleep a few nights with it before doing that. It is a much more comfortable mask for me, so I'll plan to use it from then on.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit F20 Fittment and Pressure
On the F20, and really any mask, if you have to adjust it that tight, it is not the right mask model or cushion size for you. You might want to visit the wiki for mask adjustments. Hopefully the new mask that's on its way resolves this for you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dave. According to the fittment templates, I'm right between a medium and a large. I've used both sizes on the Quattro FX in the past.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure, you're welcome. Since you've had positive past experience with that Quattro, this may be a great shortcut to getting the mask issue resolved. Best of success to ya.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 49 3,116 45 minutes ago
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,567 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,974 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,129 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.