Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Bought CPAP 11/4/14 AHI down from 45 to 3 or less

Sex: Male

Another newbie problem
I have been using the cpap for a week following a diagnosis of severe apnea. I am a mouth breather for some of the time. I tried a nasal mask for the week but mouth breathed a lot of the time.
I now have a full face mask and have tried it out. The technician has set the cpap at fixed 10cm pressure.. Now my cheeks become inflated and after a while air escapes with a loud noise.
Any advice folks?
03-12-2014 04:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Another newbie problem
check and make sure that you have a good seal with your mask. if all else fails, use a chin strap; if you decide to use a chin strap, try your pillows and/or a nasal mask again (of course, not at the same time!)
03-12-2014 04:46 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Takes some getting accustomed to. I'm a (knuckle dragging) mouth breather. I use a FFM.
Position the tongue against the roof of the mouth and slightly forward against the teeth.
That should seal your mouth from building positive pressure. 10 cm-H2O pressure isn't that high a pressure.
Many folks, like me, run higher pressures.

Unless you have some sort of anatomical defect, you should be able to do this.

BTW -- where is that air escaping from?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-12-2014 04:50 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Johnd80 Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed series9 auto

(03-12-2014 04:46 AM)me50 Wrote:  check and make sure that you have a good seal with your mask. if all else fails, use a chin strap; if you decide to use a chin strap, try your pillows and/or a nasal mask again (of course, not at the same time!)

Thank you for your messages, I will try the tongue trick and report back. The leaks occur when my cheeks inflate and the leaks are from each side of the mask. I wondered if it was the fixed non auto pressure causing the problem. Cheers John
03-12-2014 05:58 AM
Gabby Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 For Her
CPAP Pressure: 8-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Welcome to the forum Johnd80, I hope you find the answers to your problems and adjust to your new way of life soon.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
03-12-2014 07:26 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

(03-12-2014 05:58 AM)Johnd80 Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 04:46 AM)me50 Wrote:  check and make sure that you have a good seal with your mask. if all else fails, use a chin strap; if you decide to use a chin strap, try your pillows and/or a nasal mask again (of course, not at the same time!)

Thank you for your messages, I will try the tongue trick and report back. The leaks occur when my cheeks inflate and the leaks are from each side of the mask. I wondered if it was the fixed non auto pressure causing the problem. Cheers John

No, it's just the pressure in general, or to be more specific, the pressure differential from the pressure INSIDE your mouth to OUTSIDE your mouth -- just like it is difficult to blow up a 'tight' birthday balloon without puffing your cheeks.

You can try the chin (or other) strap to 'hold your cheeks in' but the best fix is to find a way to use a nasal only mask (nasal, pillows, etc.) by keeping your mouth closed.

I though myself an inveterate mouth breather and I am definitely a "knuckle dragger" as justMongo offered.

My nose was suffering from CHRONIC congestion IN ADDITION.

Turns out that with a bit of help from Flonase and (at first) saline irrigation, my hose was clear enough to use the Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask.

Once my nose was clear and the mask started working it has KEPT may nose open so that my congestion has all but disappeared.

Unfortunately for others, it also seems with the knuckle dragging, I have the capability to "Just keep my mouth shut all night" (as long as I can breath through my nose.)

IF you can do that, or develop that skill, this will be a tremendous boon to your therapy.

My method is to sort of drop my tongue back and up to the roof of my mouth and completely fill the area of my mouth by closing my mouth fully with tongue pressed against the roof.

There is no "volume of space" in my mouth so the cheeks don't inflate.

If I purposely open the back of my mouth and create a little space, my checks immediately inflate just like yours.

I also saw this with the F&P Oracle HC452 oral mask and the Innomed Hybrid 'FFM' (which is really an oral mask with nasal pillows.)

The Innomed Hybrid 'FFM' might be a good compromise for many mouth breathers as it offers just nasal pillows for the nose, and covers the mouth.

With this you get some of the benefits of a nasal pillow mask (doesn't cover the top of your nose, doesn't leak into the eyes) with the fall back of using the oral part to mouth breath.

You MIGHT be able to use such a mask to train yourself to breath through your nose over time.

I did the opposite: Since the Hybrid was to be my 'backup mask' for nights when the congestion might sometime prevent nose breathing, I purposely AVOIDING breathing through my nose while wearing it for a few nights to proof the oral part was effective for me.

Wearing a strapped and bound mask of ANY TYPE is a world of difference from wearing on of the lightly bound nasal pillows so IF you can find a way you will likely LOVE the difference.

Most people have several masks, so at some point even the most committed mouth breather should try the alternative.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
03-12-2014 08:03 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(03-12-2014 05:58 AM)Johnd80 Wrote:  

Also, try just a bit tighter on the mask straps to keep the seal.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-12-2014 08:05 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bama Rambler Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics System One DS460TS
Humidifier: DS6T
CPAP Pressure: 15 cmH2O
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: xPAP, Best thing since sliced bread!

I tried the Quattro FX mask and never could get it to stop leaking, and while I didn't like the idea of the forehead piece I now use the Mirage Quattro and it almost never leaks. Even when it does leak slightly it doesn't make a loud flapping noise.

I'm still on the lookout for the perfect mask, but in the mean time, the Mirage Quattro works very well.
03-12-2014 08:08 AM
Johnd80 Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed series9 auto

Thank you gabby and Herbm, I have 2 weeks till my next visit to the sleep tech. So I will try all suggestions and get back to you.
Kind Regards
John
03-12-2014 08:19 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Johnd80,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you try either the pillows or a nasal mask, you might try a chinstrap to help keeep your mouth closed and see if that works better for you.
Best of luck with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
03-12-2014 10:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Totally Confused by Airsense 10 Data - Centrals - Problem machine... ? mymontreal 28 1,239 Yesterday 09:39 PM
Last Post: richb
Surprised WISP mask problem elbie 12 762 Yesterday 10:00 AM
Last Post: cbokay
  Long time CPAP user now with a problem PrkChps 5 206 12-07-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: PrkChps
  Problem with DreamWear Mask Judy1843 5 315 11-30-2016 04:03 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,341 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 303 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 16 3,294 11-12-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: sonicboom