Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Another newbie problem
Another newbie problem
I have been using the cpap for a week following a diagnosis of severe apnea. I am a mouth breather for some of the time. I tried a nasal mask for the week but mouth breathed a lot of the time.
I now have a full face mask and have tried it out. The technician has set the cpap at fixed 10cm pressure.. Now my cheeks become inflated and after a while air escapes with a loud noise.
Any advice folks?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another newbie problem
check and make sure that you have a good seal with your mask. if all else fails, use a chin strap; if you decide to use a chin strap, try your pillows and/or a nasal mask again (of course, not at the same time!)
Post Reply Post Reply
Takes some getting accustomed to. I'm a (knuckle dragging) mouth breather. I use a FFM.
Position the tongue against the roof of the mouth and slightly forward against the teeth.
That should seal your mouth from building positive pressure. 10 cm-H2O pressure isn't that high a pressure.
Many folks, like me, run higher pressures.

Unless you have some sort of anatomical defect, you should be able to do this.

BTW -- where is that air escaping from?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2014, 04:46 AM)me50 Wrote: check and make sure that you have a good seal with your mask. if all else fails, use a chin strap; if you decide to use a chin strap, try your pillows and/or a nasal mask again (of course, not at the same time!)

Thank you for your messages, I will try the tongue trick and report back. The leaks occur when my cheeks inflate and the leaks are from each side of the mask. I wondered if it was the fixed non auto pressure causing the problem. Cheers John
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Johnd80, I hope you find the answers to your problems and adjust to your new way of life soon.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2014, 05:58 AM)Johnd80 Wrote:
(03-12-2014, 04:46 AM)me50 Wrote: check and make sure that you have a good seal with your mask. if all else fails, use a chin strap; if you decide to use a chin strap, try your pillows and/or a nasal mask again (of course, not at the same time!)

Thank you for your messages, I will try the tongue trick and report back. The leaks occur when my cheeks inflate and the leaks are from each side of the mask. I wondered if it was the fixed non auto pressure causing the problem. Cheers John

No, it's just the pressure in general, or to be more specific, the pressure differential from the pressure INSIDE your mouth to OUTSIDE your mouth -- just like it is difficult to blow up a 'tight' birthday balloon without puffing your cheeks.

You can try the chin (or other) strap to 'hold your cheeks in' but the best fix is to find a way to use a nasal only mask (nasal, pillows, etc.) by keeping your mouth closed.

I though myself an inveterate mouth breather and I am definitely a "knuckle dragger" as justMongo offered.

My nose was suffering from CHRONIC congestion IN ADDITION.

Turns out that with a bit of help from Flonase and (at first) saline irrigation, my hose was clear enough to use the Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask.

Once my nose was clear and the mask started working it has KEPT may nose open so that my congestion has all but disappeared.

Unfortunately for others, it also seems with the knuckle dragging, I have the capability to "Just keep my mouth shut all night" (as long as I can breath through my nose.)

IF you can do that, or develop that skill, this will be a tremendous boon to your therapy.

My method is to sort of drop my tongue back and up to the roof of my mouth and completely fill the area of my mouth by closing my mouth fully with tongue pressed against the roof.

There is no "volume of space" in my mouth so the cheeks don't inflate.

If I purposely open the back of my mouth and create a little space, my checks immediately inflate just like yours.

I also saw this with the F&P Oracle HC452 oral mask and the Innomed Hybrid 'FFM' (which is really an oral mask with nasal pillows.)

The Innomed Hybrid 'FFM' might be a good compromise for many mouth breathers as it offers just nasal pillows for the nose, and covers the mouth.

With this you get some of the benefits of a nasal pillow mask (doesn't cover the top of your nose, doesn't leak into the eyes) with the fall back of using the oral part to mouth breath.

You MIGHT be able to use such a mask to train yourself to breath through your nose over time.

I did the opposite: Since the Hybrid was to be my 'backup mask' for nights when the congestion might sometime prevent nose breathing, I purposely AVOIDING breathing through my nose while wearing it for a few nights to proof the oral part was effective for me.

Wearing a strapped and bound mask of ANY TYPE is a world of difference from wearing on of the lightly bound nasal pillows so IF you can find a way you will likely LOVE the difference.

Most people have several masks, so at some point even the most committed mouth breather should try the alternative.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2014, 05:58 AM)Johnd80 Wrote:

Also, try just a bit tighter on the mask straps to keep the seal.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Quattro FX mask and never could get it to stop leaking, and while I didn't like the idea of the forehead piece I now use the Mirage Quattro and it almost never leaks. Even when it does leak slightly it doesn't make a loud flapping noise.

I'm still on the lookout for the perfect mask, but in the mean time, the Mirage Quattro works very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you gabby and Herbm, I have 2 weeks till my next visit to the sleep tech. So I will try all suggestions and get back to you.
Kind Regards
John
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Johnd80,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you try either the pillows or a nasal mask, you might try a chinstrap to help keeep your mouth closed and see if that works better for you.
Best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,561 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,327 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.