Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Any way to work around lowest pressure setting?
Any way to work around lowest pressure setting?
Hi!

I've been using a CPAP machine for a bit more than 5 years now. I started with a pressure of 8 and after a few years, as I started losing weight, I had to lower the pressure little by little to stop getting central apneas. As soon as I get to 2-3% of them, I notice a huge, unpleasant difference.

While this has worked quite well for me, I've recently dropped to a pressure of 4, the lowest possible setting and guess who's back? Central apneas...

I've been searching around but haven't found a solution yet, has anyone here experienced this situation? What have you done to make it better?

Besides stopping weight loss of course Wink

As a side note, I was also wondering if the most recent models that auto adapt and change pressure as needed could drop below 4?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any way to work around lowest pressure setting?
As far as I know, 4 is the lowest any of these machines can go regardless of settings. You might want to get another sleep test. It is possible that your apnea was solely caused by weight and that you have effectively cured yourself! Wouldn't that be nice?

Or you could stop with all of this exercise craziness, eat more junk food and keep your pressure up. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2016, 10:08 PM)chill Wrote: As far as I know, 4 is the lowest any of these machines can go regardless of settings. You might want to get another sleep test. It is possible that your apnea was solely caused by weight and that you have effectively cured yourself! Wouldn't that be nice?

Or you could stop with all of this exercise craziness, eat more junk food and keep your pressure up. Grin

I like the cured idea, great idea Chill. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi frankzzz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wouldn't think you would want to go below 4, that makes most people feel air-starved.
It seems to me like I have read somewhere that the DeVilbiss machines will go down to 3,.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your answers!

While I appreciate the idea that I could be cured, I'm still very sceptical about it as my doctor once prepared me to the fact that you rarely get out of this, but who knows!

Getting a test will be long, I might do a few nights without the machine and try to notice differences, positive or negative.

@trish, you are right, Devilbriss indeed goes all the way down to 3, I'll consider that machine should I still feel the need to lower the pressure instead of stoping, thanks! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, curing Sleep Apnea by losing weight seems to be a rather rare thing. But it could happen. What is your usual nightly AHI?
Post Reply Post Reply
I range from 3 to 5-6. That seems low when I compare to others. When around 3 I feel somewhat rested but when it goes up to 5-6 it usually is coupled with central apneas and it isn't so fun anymore Smile

Fun fact that's surely written somewhere else, having a steady routine with exercise as I get up has helped lately.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 622 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 424 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.