Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Confusion
RE: Mask Confusion
(06-18-2019, 05:47 PM)theoak Wrote: Side sleeper here ... ResMed F30 AirFit works for me.  I find placing the top strap closer to the crown of my head versus the middle or front gives me more success.  I also spent some time centering my straps to make sure the straps on both sides are in the same position.  That got the mask centered on my face/head better I found.  For me if it leaks, it is at the nose (usually at the very tip but sometimes side of the nose).

I have tried both medium and small sizes.  The small gives generally a better fit, but I find the nostril holes are too small and the sides pinch my nostrils together a bit too much.  It feels like I am breathing through a straw.  I do get fewer leaks with the small.  The medium gives a much more natural breathing experience with its larger nostril holes, but if the mask creeps up, it can cause leaks.  Each face/head is different ... good luck.
Thanks theoak 
This is what I’m thinking about getting because it comes with Small Medium and Large masks,
The only thing is mouth breathing, and that would lead to finding a cure for mouth breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2019, 11:32 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If the back and shoulders cooperate, my F20 is agreeable to side sleeping. IMO your mask already must pass the test on being right sized & working well for you. If you can't get the mask to work while back sleeping, it's likely not getting better via side sleeping. Your body and head position, along with an acceptable pillow, will help too.

Thanks SarcasticDave94
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2019, 12:18 PM)Yyyyyyyyy Big Guy Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 10:34 AM)Melman Wrote: I am also a side sleeper and use the AirFit F20 silicone cushion mask. I rarely have significant leaks. I'm not saying that is the mask for you and hope the nasal pillows work out. But if not, it is possible for a side sleeper to successfully use a full face mask. It's just a matter of finding the right mask. I would like to use nasal pillows but chin straps and cervical collars do not prevent significant leakage through my mouth. Some are successful in training their tongues to stay at the roofs of their mouths to prevent mouth leaks but my tongue seems to be s slow learner. If you have not already, I suggest you read the mask primer (link below).

I initially started SA therapy with a ResMed F20 AirFit mask. I did well with it. Occasionally, I would wake up to air leaking. I would simply readjust the mask and back to sleep I went. 

I'm now using an F30 AirFit. I like it a bit more than the F20. I'm a side sleeper and the mask moving around can be problematic. I have found though, that's a bit less of an issue with the F30.

I've tried most everything I can think of, to breathe thru my nose. No can do! I always end up back to breathing via my mouth. 

If plan to stick to the F20 and the F30 masks. Both work well for me, and I plan to have spare cushions and extra headgear on hand. The mask themselves seems to be pretty durable. I don't anticipate having to replace them very often.

Thanks Big Guy 
I’m thinking about getting F30 mask
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2019, 06:47 PM)Apnearon Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 11:32 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If the back and shoulders cooperate, my F20 is agreeable to side sleeping. IMO your mask already must pass the test on being right sized & working well for you. If you can't get the mask to work while back sleeping, it's likely not getting better via side sleeping. Your body and head position, along with an acceptable pillow, will help too.

Thanks SarcasticDave94

Quite welcome, Apnearon. Best wishes for success.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confusion over PS equation David Clark 18 2,606 03-29-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Autopap pressure confusion HMG7450 9 792 05-09-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: SnoNoMo
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,669 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Question Flow Limitation Confusion B1Sailor 3 686 10-15-2022, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,336 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  [split] Confusion over PS equation (Discussion) Rubicon 17 1,449 04-18-2022, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Rubicon
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,913 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.