Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Applying APAP Data to CPAP Machine
Applying APAP Data to CPAP Machine
Hello. If I may, I'd like to introduce myself before asking my question.
I'm a long time CPAP user but just recently began using OSCAR and reading the Apnea Board Forums. My Sleep Study was conducted several years ago and resulted in a Rx of 7.0 cmH2O. I've been getting along fine, as far as I knew, but OSCAR and the Forum has given me the incentive to see if I could do better. I discovered that my "CPAP" machine is an "AUTO CPAP" machine! There was nothing holding me back now. Changing from a straight 7.0 to and auto range of 5 - 11 dropped my AHI from the mid 3.0s to the low 1.0s. I'm not yet sure if my auto setting is optimal but I'm thrilled with the result so far.
Now for my question. I use my auto machine at home but take along a simple CPAP machine when I  travel. How can I use my APAP data to set the pressure on my CPAP machine? It's still set at my long time Rx of 7.0 but my APAP data makes me feel that it should be higher...
Grateful for insight the Forum has to offer, and if there are any thoughts on how I've set up my APAP, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Applying APAP Data to CPAP Machine
I neglected to mention in my post that my "Travel" CPAP machine is a Resmed S8 Elite II, which is not compatible with OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
The flow limitations and hypopnea are obstructive, and would be improved with a higher minimum pressure on your APAP machine. I really think you should go back to a minimum of 7.0 and maximum of 11 or 12 seems fine. Most clinics will set the CPAP pressure at the 90th percentile of pressure. In your case, a single pressure CPAP at 9.0 or 9.5 looks about right. As long as you are not bothered by pressure, the higher pressure, I would suggest using the higher of the range suggested above.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi khw210,
First, a minimum pressure of 5 is clearly too low for you with that many Flow Limitations, RERAs and snores. These indicate a higher pressure is needed.

Let’s change the minimum pressure to 8cm and maximum to 13cm.

A good rule to follow would be to use your Median pressure for a minimum setting, or look at the 95% number and set the minimum 2cm below that. It usually comes out to almost the same number.

Using the same formula above, set your straight pressure Cpap at 8cm. You can adjust these numbers after a few days if needed.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for your thoughts. Per your guidance, I've tweaked my APAP to a range of 8.0 - 13.0. That's quite an increase over what I've been using. Anxious to see how my night goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2019, 01:45 PM)OpalRose Wrote: A good rule to follow would be to use your Median pressure for a minimum setting, or look at the 95% number and set the minimum 2cm below that.  It usually comes out to almost the same number.

This is the kind of guidance I'm looking for. 
On that same note - Is there a good rule of thumb to follow to guide an APAP user in setting the Maximum Presssure?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes opal is right about the 95%. For auto titration, it is a recommended number to use as a fixed pressure. You would use a 7 or 30 day average. So if this chart represents the average, for example. The travel S8 you would have fixed 10 epr 3. To be a similar pressure relief, or flex. To what you are using now.

As long as the machine max is above Oscar max. It will be fine. Generally the max pressure isn't an issue and most people can use 20
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2019, 03:48 PM)ajack Wrote: Yes opal is right about the 95%. For auto titration, it is a recommended number to use as a fixed pressure. You would use a 7 or 30 day average. So if this chart represents the average, for example. The travel S8 you would have fixed 10 epr 3. To be a similar pressure relief. To what you are using now.

Unless I'm misreading one of the posts, Opal has suggested a fixed pressure of 8.0 for my fixed pressure CPAP which conflicts with your suggestion of 10    Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal is suggesting min pressure 8 max pressure 13, for auto mode. She used the 95% number to get the min pressure. Your respironics likes the min pressure to be close to the 95%.

Fixed pressure on your S8, is a different story. The fixed pressure would normally be set at the 95% for resmed. In this chart that would be 10. EPR 3

Is this clearer? One is for your respironics and one is for the S8
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is. Thanks for the clarification. Although my APAP is a System One - not a Dreamstation. I don't imagine that would make a difference. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 85 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.