Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Best settings for my machine?
RE: Best settings for my machine?
(04-04-2012, 08:05 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: They say they base it on a 'natural breathing rhythm', whatever that is. A lot of people don't like ResMed's EPR system as it doesn't match or detect their rhythm.

Two central events a night is not bad at all! The AHI is the number of apneas (stop breathing) added to the number of hyponeas (shallow breathing) divided by the number of hours. It's an average. So if you have an AHI of 4 and slept 8hrs, that'd be 32 events that night.
2 centrals a night, try 21 i had last night and 35 i had the night before. sleepy head records clear airway apneas, not central apneas. there is some controversy over exactly what they are.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, yes, clear airway events. I tried to keep up on those discussions but couldn't.

And yes, 21 - 35 central/clear airway events per night is not good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2012, 11:51 AM)Chuck Wrote: My PCP doesn't really want to participate in my sleep therapy. He prefers to refer me to a sleep doc for everything, but insurance won't allow the referral - once per 12 months. I will probably have to find another doc who is more cooperative with my sleep med needs, but this is another hill to climb another day.

Try calling your insurance company and explaining this situation to them. If you've already seen that sleep doc once, send him your data. Send it to your PCP, too. And to your DME. They should be able to look at it and make a recommendation for changes in your therapy. Maybe you need a pressure adjustment, maybe you need a different machine.

If that's out the question for you, you can get the free SleepyHead software and look at your data to find out the composition of your AHI. On nights where it's over 5, look to see if it's composed mostly of clear-airway apneas. If so, try lowering the pressure. On the other hand, if your AHI is composed mostly of obstructive apneas, try raising the pressure.

Quote:In the meantime do you have any suggestions what I can do?

Turn on C-Flex and set it at the maximum value of 3. This should help with the aerophagia.

Have you experienced any changes with your sinuses?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2012, 11:55 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Frankly, I don't see what the difference is other than in quality. They both lower the pressure on exhale and they both raise it when the exhale ends (or inhale begins). C-Flex+ allegedly makes that transition smoother. It's all about branding.

C-Flex lowers the pressure when you exhale, it raises it back up again when you stop exhaling.

I noticed this when I switched to a BiPAP machine with Bi-Flex. What the Bi-PAP does is lower the pressure when you stop inhaling, then the Bi-Flex lowers it even more when you start to exhale. When you stop exhaling, the pressure goes back up a little. But it waits until you start inhaling to raise it all the way back up.

The other thing that happened when I switched to a BiPAP was an increase in the number of clear-airway apneas. They had to lower my pressure to fix that problem. Makes me think that if a BiPAP can induce more clear-airway apneas, the use of C-Flex may be have the same effect on the OP. He may need to have his pressure lowered, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's good to know!

Wonder why the subtle changes in pressure as you breathe would cause central events?

Is it the changes itself that is confusing the brain?

Or do the changes work better and the too high pressure is what confuses the brain?
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a great explanation of how the C-Flex works - thank you Sleepster!

(04-04-2012, 10:13 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-04-2012, 11:55 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Frankly, I don't see what the difference is other than in quality. They both lower the pressure on exhale and they both raise it when the exhale ends (or inhale begins). C-Flex+ allegedly makes that transition smoother. It's all about branding.

C-Flex lowers the pressure when you exhale, it raises it back up again when you stop exhaling.

I noticed this when I switched to a BiPAP machine with Bi-Flex. What the Bi-PAP does is lower the pressure when you stop inhaling, then the Bi-Flex lowers it even more when you start to exhale. When you stop exhaling, the pressure goes back up a little. But it waits until you start inhaling to raise it all the way back up.

The other thing that happened when I switched to a BiPAP was an increase in the number of clear-airway apneas. They had to lower my pressure to fix that problem. Makes me think that if a BiPAP can induce more clear-airway apneas, the use of C-Flex may be have the same effect on the OP. He may need to have his pressure lowered, too.

Last night settings were back to 13 and C-Flex 2 (not C-Flex +). I feel somewhat less hammered than I did yesterday.
I'm going to wrap this thread up, but my final concern is that my machine isn't recording all my events. I wouldn't feel so badly were I truly having only 2 CA events/1 OA/ 5 arousals per night I think. Thank you all again. Oh, and I want to get a pulse oximeter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know how your health goes! Follow ups are great!

And stick around for a while. Help others or at least console.

As for the oximeter, Supplier #19 recently had a sale on the CMS-50D which several people on this forum use.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2012, 11:02 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Let us know how your health goes! Follow ups are great!

And stick around for a while. Help others or at least console.

As for the oximeter, Supplier #19 recently had a sale on the CMS-50D which several people on this forum use.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

i just bought the cms-50D+ which records overnite from them. it came complete with cd, usb cord, etc and a surprise little electronic pedometer all for $80 total including shipping. i ordered sunday, it was packed and had a usps delivery confirmation number on sunday, went out monday and i had it wednesday morning. they ship out of north georgia. record overnite and plug in, in the morning to read results on the computer or plug where you are sleeping and watch real time data on the computer.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
You sold me on it. I just ordered mine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2012, 01:03 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You sold me on it. I just ordered mine.
they are a mom & pop operation so it will probably go out today. you may have it saturday, probably monday.

inside the package it comes in a metal box, packed in a plastic molded insert. pull the whole insert out to get the usb cord and something else under it. it looks like theres a trial and error learning curve. do little daytime recordings to get used to recording, downloading and reading on the computer. so far it works in my win7 and vista computers. they say it works with sleepyhead buy i'm not there yet.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 95 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 248 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 322 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 830 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Help with initial settings for cpap machine jtrops 11 798 11-11-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,172 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Help with machine settings ttwhite1 19 1,308 10-25-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: ttwhite1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.