Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] BiLevel titration study
RE: BiLevel titration study
(11-04-2013, 11:29 AM)Peter_C Wrote: The only thing I wish, is besides a 'definition', there would also be more info like - more is better - or, an average person has a VT of XX - or - something to explain how to use this data item - is less better, is more better? Does this make sense?

I've read the entire list, and on many data points I find myself asking these types of questions, so wouldn't more info be a good thing?

So you mean in general, not just for tidal volume?

In many cases we get more information by watching how the value of something changes.

The most basic data items are leak rates and AHI. Hopefully the numbers for those are easily found. AHI below 5, and unintentional leak rate below 24 L/min are both "good".

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not so much in general, but even terms that are easy (at least for me) to understand, like 'respiration rate' - how many times did we breath on average per minute. OK, so I know that piece of data now. Great, I see it was 10-14, and today it's changed to 12-15, so? Do I care? Should I care? Do I want it to move? Go up, or go down? What's it mean if it does change? What if the change is small? I bet I could ask 4-9 more questions about this one piece of data, and yet it is plain to me what it means.

Now, take "VT" or "Tidal Volume", I read the definition, great, now I know what it means, but I still do not know how to interpret any change? Up or down, small change or large? Do we not want it to change? That kind of stuff. And, there are many more terms that I wonder about as well - which at this point, I tend to just ignore (which may not be very smart of me).

I do know how to research, and Google *is* my friend. But sometimes when we are busy it would be nice to have an answer spoon fed to us instead of needing to take the time to teach ourselves.

I also agree, all of this would make some very good WIKI articles tooSmile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
We've sort of gotten of the rails on this thread.
It would be nice if we could get a "pro" to write a Wiki for us.
Most pros won't get involved.

I've looked further into Tidal Volume; and it seems to be a non issue except for people with COPD or are in acute respiratory distress.

My ResMed machine says mine was 380-680 last night. I believe the units are milliliters. The machine has to estimate this range because of factors like mask vent rate. The computational algorithm is likely proprietary.

An average tidal volume for a healthy adult is 500ml.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see tidal volume in my ResScan data
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2013, 01:19 PM)me50 Wrote: I don't see tidal volume in my ResScan data

I'm not using ResScan because my S8 machine requires a special card and reader. But, I can look at the efficacy menu. It's there as VT.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Maybe only bi-level machines report Vt, tidal volume.

ADDED:

The tidal volume times the Respiration Rate is the Vm (minute vent or volume of air we breath in one minute).

So if ResScan doesn't report Vt but does report Vm and RR, then you can calculate the tidal volume as the Vm divided by the respiration rate.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2013, 10:18 PM)vsheline Wrote:

Maybe only bi-level machines report tidal volume.

Sleepy Head does :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2013, 10:21 PM)me50 Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 10:18 PM)vsheline Wrote:

Maybe only bi-level machines report tidal volume.

Then it seems like a ResScan issue.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2013, 10:33 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 10:21 PM)me50 Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 10:18 PM)vsheline Wrote: Maybe only bi-level machines report tidal volume.

Then it seems like a ResScan issue.

they may call it another name.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.