Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] BiPap air pressure question
RE: BiPap air pressure question
(03-20-2023, 09:15 PM)AmbitiousCut0 Wrote: Also any clue on what to put the humidity level on? Auto isn't cutting it and manual starts at 4 (0-8)

You want to set it as high as you can without getting rain out. But that is no guarantee he'll not have dry mouth from breathing through his mouth. You want the nasal passages as open as possible, things like nasonex and the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit are good for that. And then you want to keep the mouth moist by rinsing with biotene before bedtime and during nightime potty breaks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, here is an update after a few days. Lots of fragmented sleep, can't seem to get a full night's rest (he cannot tolerate the mask after he wakes up but he tries to sleep with it again on and off) Says he has chest pain and today had a headache on the left side of his head. Usually has to pee when he wakes up. Also some nights there are bad mask leaks.

I've been reading other posts on the forums saying there could be such thing as sleep arousals that prevent you from getting into deeper REM sleep I think he might be experiencing this.

Some of his notes:

3/20 - 3 hours of sleep, dry mouth, still tired, stiff neck, slept with mask on for another 20 minutes then removed to check seal (chest felt tight), took off mask again an hour later because couldn't breathe/tolerate, lots of yawning

3/21 - 3 hours again, weird taste in mouth possibly from too much condensation, more yawning, chest discomfort from machine "forcing" him to breathe. 1-2 hours later "too much puffiness" assuming he's referring to chipmunk cheeks, couldn't go back to sleep. Little condensation on mask/tightness in chest.

3/22 - 3 1/2 hours, mask seal is good, no dry mouth but thirsty, 1 hour later cannot tolerate anymore/poor seal slept another hour without mask nose/throat had lot of mucus buildup "felt extremely sh*t today"

3/23 - slept 1 hour woke up to pee/drink water, left side/ear hurts because I was laying on that side, went to sleep without mask woke up an hour later, slept again without mask for another 4 hours until alarm woke me up. Took a nap 5 hours later for a couple hours with mask on states "I think I have CSA because I pause breathing even with he bipap on"

Regarding that last comment I noticed the sensitivity is on very high but the cycle rate is on medium would that have anything to do with it? Side note: he isn't using the Soft cervical collar because he can't breathe through his nose from the deviated septum (and possibly other anatomy) going to see his ENT to take a look at it. Also he keeps stating it might be CSA but his CAs are lower from what I've seen? Low AHI but can't stay asleep. 0 Snore. He's been using it every night. Our sleep schedules are pretty bad so we're in the process of fixing it.

I really want to figure out why he still has such fragmented sleep, his doctor prescribed a benzodiazepine for his insomnia but I didn't want him to use it due to their addictive nature. He's tried melatonin and benadryl (prior to PAP therapy) which kind of helped but it was more of a bandaid fix. As far as trying to get him to stay asleep for quality REM sleep are there any suggestions? How do the settings look any tweaking? I read that chest pain is normal at the start of therapy.

Another screenshot

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
He'll never get anywhere if he keeps taking the mask off.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2023, 09:54 PM)Sleepster Wrote: He'll never get anywhere if he keeps taking the mask off.

I understand, he doesn't take it off while he sleeps it's more like after he awakens he tries to sleep with it and it's 50/50 now. I know he complains a lot but I still want to know why he can't stay asleep and get good REM sleep without sedation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was going to say the same thing.  Taking the mask off endlessly defeats the point of treatment.  One has to be motivated enough to realize how deadly the consequences of non-compliance are to succeed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2023, 10:33 PM)cmpman1974 Wrote: I was going to say the same thing.  Taking the mask off endlessly defeats the point of treatment.  One has to be motivated enough to realize how deadly the consequences of non-compliance are to succeed.

Yeah I just talked to him and he's going to try to sleep with it on but he's saying the pressure feels too high at times and he experiences chest pain, not sure if that's the same as aerophagia. I was just wondering if there's anything to be changed here like PS to 3 instead of 4 or just keep it as is and just keep using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night's data

Changed Trigger Sensitivity from Very high > high
Switched PS from 4 to 3 then back to 4 a bit later

Compliance is an issue, I know it's frustrating especially for me but we're trying.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ambitious, I'd like to see you reset the trigger sensitivity back to very high, but let's try cutting the pressure support from 4 to 3. You show persistent signs of respiratory instability from being at your apneic threshold, and a reduction of PS is called for here. Hope this works better for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2023, 10:05 PM)AmbitiousCut0 Wrote: I understand, he doesn't take it off while he sleeps it's more like after he awakens he tries to sleep with it and it's 50/50 now. I know he complains a lot but I still want to know why he can't stay asleep and get good REM sleep without sedation.

Because the CPAP machine is a huge bother to him. There's the mask, and hose, and the pressurized air. All that stuff makes it hard to get a good night's sleep. Fortunately, we humans are quite good at adapting to all that. It just takes time. And the more he tries to sleep without it the longer it will take for him to adapt to it.

Hopefully he can slowly increase the amount of time he spends using the machine.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's last night's data. He's gotten better about keeping the mask on, but his AHI was bad most of the night, think he had it on for ~6 hours this time, also some of the large leaks might've been from readjusting the mask.

Last couple hours before he woke up AHI was good but I noticed his flow rate dips quite a lot.

His chest feels less pressure now probably since we lowered the PS from 4 to 3 but he still doesn't feel "rested" since he keeps having to get up. You're right though humans are good at adapting and he is so hopefully he can have less fragmented sleep once he gets used to it...how does the graph look should I keep the same settings for now?

Also since I don't want to use up all my upload limit which screenshots are most useful usually the ones zoomed in or out?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,321 04-16-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 223 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 403 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 178 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  UARS, bipap pressure, I or E Wcsleep 3 495 01-12-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,433 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Newbie here - do I need higher pressure or BIPAP? her.suit 0 328 12-29-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: her.suit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.