Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Bipap ST to Bipap Auto sv advanced pressure settings
RE: Bipap ST to Bipap Auto sv advanced pressure settings
I will add my 2 cents worth here:

I ran into like problems, but not as bad...

None the less I do think I have a small saga that might be of some help...

I had to do it the hard way, first sleep apnea, then complex sleep apnea and then to top it all off I found I have positional sleep apneas.

So may I suggest you may get some help from my many threads here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ASV-to-get

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...nal-Apneas

And a little off the tracks:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...nal-apneas

And I find that Sleepyhead really makes checking and reading the nightly reports FAR better than Encore...
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2013, 11:53 PM)racprops Wrote: I will add my 2 cents worth here:

I ran into like problems, but not as bad...

None the less I do think I have a small saga that might be of some help...

I had to do it the hard way, first sleep apnea, then complex sleep apnea and then to top it all off I found I have positional sleep apneas.

So may I suggest you may get some help from my many threads here:

And I find that Sleepyhead really makes checking and reading the nightly reports FAR better than Encore...

Many thanks...I will definitely read each one of them..Okay

and a special thanks to vsheline for his post on the pressure settings for me to start off with....Thanks

My machine will be here tuesday (I had hoped for this weekend) hope it works well
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply
I am now running these settings:

MAX 23.0 (with my mask this stops blow offs..leaks)

EPAP Min 8.5

EPAP Max 15.0

PS Min 0 I found that PS ADDED to the above settings so that at PS 1 I gt a EPAPMin on intake of 9.5..and the higher the PS is the more it adds to you base setting...

PS Max 14.0

BPM auto

And Biflex 2

Here is a couple of shots of Sleepyhead...

First the upper 1/3 of the charts...

[Image: 621lastnight_zpsd3446e1d.jpg]

And one of the special features where you can high lite a part of the chart and see how that one sleep cycle went:

[Image: 621Lastnighthilighted_zpsa484a749.jpg]

There is more but that is a beginning...

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
PS Love your KISS KAT.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2013, 01:53 PM)racprops Wrote: I am now running these settings:

MAX 23.0 (with my mask this stops blow offs..leaks)

EPAP Min 8.5

EPAP Max 15.0

PS Min 0 I found that PS ADDED to the above settings so that at PS 1 I gt a EPAPMin on intake of 9.5..and the higher the PS is the more it adds to you base setting...
PS Max 14.0
BPM auto
And Biflex 2
Rich

For me...I need a higher "in Pressure" or Ipap....that is exactly what PS min is..the Ipap OR (Epap + Ps min = IPAP.. higher pressure for inhale to stop centrals) the ps min is just a starting point for your Asv..it will start at that pressure but increase as needed for a breath ...all the way up to Ps max or max pressure if need be..

still waiting for my machine..sigh..this Bipap St the Dr prescribed has just NOT come close to doing the job since day 1.

Thanks for liking the avatar...I SHOULD TRY TO PHOTOSHOP A CPAP MASK ON IT Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2013, 08:27 PM)spdklls99 Wrote: For me...I need a higher "in Pressure" or Ipap....that is exactly what PS min is..the Ipap OR (Epap + Ps min = IPAP.. higher pressure for inhale to stop centrals) the ps min is just a starting point for your Asv..it will start at that pressure but increase as needed for a breath ...all the way up to Ps max or max pressure if need be..

still waiting for my machine..sigh..this Bipap St the Dr prescribed has just NOT come close to doing the job since day 1.

ResMed literature says a PS of 10 will usually provide adequate ventilation for a person during a full central event, as long as he/she has normal lungs (meaning, without lung disease).

I think it very strange that your Dr kept your PS set so low on your BiPAP S/T machine when he knew or should have known your centrals were not being adequately treated. A fixed PS of 4 is not nearly enough to treat full centrals.

You might want to consider increasing your PS by 1 cmH2O per day while you wait for your ASV machine, until your PS reaches 7 or even higher if not uncomfortable. I think this would help prepare you for the higher PS which the ASV machine will sometimes be using and, more importantly, would better treat your central apneas while you are waiting for your new machine.

On a separate note, ASV machines will react to sudden cessations in breathing but will not react to gradual reductions in breathing which can slowly lead to hypopnea and arousal. Raising my PS min to 6 has nearly eliminated five or ten minute episodes of gradual reduction in breathing ending in arousals, which used to be shown often in my sleep data, but every so often these episodes are still occurring. On my S9 VPAP Adapt, 6 is the highest the PSmin can be set, and I think I would do better with a PSmin of 7. This is why I wish I had gotten the PRS1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced.

But I suggest you start with PS min set to 4 like your present prescription. By looking at the data after a couple weeks, you will be able to see if there is any reason the PS min should be raised.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Added:

EPAP + PS = IPAP
EPAPmin + PSmin = IPAPmin

The IPAP might get as high as EPAPmax + PSmax, unless the IPAP is limited to a lower value by the Max Pressure setting.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if I might need a little tweaking my self.

I have noted that hypopneas are now my leading apneas.

My first two hours of sleep tonight was all hypopneas with a rating of 5.13.

Take a look at my current settings (above) and please advise me.

Thanks.

Rich

"On a separate note, ASV machines will react to sudden cessations in breathing but will not react to gradual reductions in breathing which can slowly lead to hypopnea and arousal. Raising my PS min to 6 has nearly eliminated five or ten minute episodes of gradual reduction in breathing ending in arousals, which used to be shown often in my sleep data, but every so often these episodes are still occurring. On my S9 VPAP Adapt, 6 is the highest the PSmin can be set, and I think I would do better with a PSmin of 7. This is why I wish I had gotten the PRS1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced.

But I suggest you start with PS min set to 4 like your present prescription. By looking at the data after a couple weeks, you will be able to see if there is any reason the PS min should be raised.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
Well I tried changing the PS Min setting, and with 1.5 I got a inhale pressure of 10.5 CM and it was not working for me...it seemed like I had trouble exhaling, so I dropped it back to only 1.0 and it was better.

See: The second sleep cycle was lower.

[Image: 623Hypopnea_zps94370bbf.jpg]

Well back to sleep.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2013, 11:05 PM)vsheline Wrote: I think it very strange that your Dr kept your PS set so low on your BiPAP S/T machine when he knew or should have known your centrals were not being adequately treated. A fixed PS of 4 is not nearly enough to treat full centrals.

Dr. Quack apparently didn't want to actually have to do anything at all...or the very least he could get away with anyway..the only thing he did in those 3 years was raise my bpm from 12 to 16..then told me to come back and see him in a year...I did..he said everything looked good..shortly thereafter is when I learned my AHI had nearly doubled after his bpm raise...After calling him out on this...all he had to say was I was an exception and I obviously needed a Trilogy ventilator!! ( really? a 15,000 dollar ventilator intended for people with severe lung disease is my only other option?) I do not have any lung diseases and quit smoking 7 years ago...I haven't been back to Dr. Quack since

.I found 10 bpm was as good as my AHI could get on this ST. (still high) ..I also experimented with raising the IPAP..the higher I got over the set pressure of 17..the higher my AHI got...

Like I said previously..this old model ST they unloaded on me and made me buy does not differentiate between OA-CA-or hypopnea's..It doesnt even show your AHI..I would have to do the math from the amount of recorded events divided by the number of hours slept...The encoreviewer is not 64 bit compatible so I cant even read my data anymore since the first of the year when I replaced my laptop with an Alienware.
.so I will follow your recommendations after I get the Asv and can see precisely what it going on and what is changing when I alter a setting.

thanks again for help..you really seem to know your stuff :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2013, 06:42 AM)racprops Wrote: Well I tried changing the PS Min setting, and with 1.5 I got a inhale pressure of 10.5 CM and it was not working for me...it seemed like I had trouble exhaling, so I dropped it back to only 1.0 and it was better.

See: The second sleep cycle was lower.

Well back to sleep.

Rich

Your AHI is 3.9
I would kill for an AHI that low...anything under 5 is normal
Your settings are working just like they should as far as I see
Why do you keep complaining its not good enough and wanting it even better? I doubt mine will ever get that low but would SO HAPPY and content if it ever does.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 946 7 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 63 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 621 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 586 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.