Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure Blasts
Pressure Blasts
This is my first post. I'm a 75 yr old with a new Resmed aircurve 10 ASV.  Had it about 30 days. Use it every night but I've really only had maybe 3 nights of decent sleep.

After 1-2 hours the pressure ramps up and I can never catch up.  I've tried blowing back but maybe not enough?  The excess air slips out the sides of my Resmed F30 mask like flatulations.  I've messed around with the settings but nothing seems to change the outcome.  

I'll attempt to upload my OSCAR report. Not sure if I need to screenshot them or print them?

Shortly after 1 am I seemed to have an AHI that set off the machine. I couldn't get it to come down so Moved to another bedroom and fired it up again. Seemed to be fine from about 2:15 on. Took me a while to get back to sleep obviously. 

Settings:    
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Blasts
can you post the SleepHQ dashboard link so we can looks closely at your beathing? Thanks.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a link for sharing links but it goes nowhere? I'm gonna need some tech assistance?
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't need Sleep HQ and won't look at it anyway. The Oscar chart tells us what we need to know.  You say during the first hour the pressure ramps up and you can't catch up.  The pressure is increasing because of those UA events that actually represent obstructive apnea.  I suspect that is perhaps positional.  It may be more tolerable to deal with the obstructive apnea than the pressure increases that the machine is programmed to deliver in this case.   I'm going to suggest limiting changes in EPAP to minimum 5.0 and maximum 8.0.  If you are chin-tucking from sleep position or using too many pillows, the IPAP will rise and attempt to equal out your vent rate.  You are only using a PS max of 10.0, but your  might be able to cut back on PS to using PS min 3.0 and PS max 8.0.  I would rather see more PS max than 8.0 if your real problem is complex or central apnea, but some people are okay with lower PS if it stimulates breathing. Your minute vent does in fact rise, in spite of the double cluster of apnea at 01:20.  So part of the solution is to minimize the rise in EPAP and start PS at a lower threshold of 3.0 to 8.0 instead of 5.0 to 10.0.  I really think your high minimum PS is causing more central apnea and higher pressure than you might experience with a PS min of 3.0.

Recommended settings: EPAP min 5.0, EPAP max 8.0, PS min 3.0, PS max 8.0.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=48263]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=48265]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for getting back to my post so quickly, both of you.

Usually my unmanageable air pressure increases happen about 2-4 hours into my sleep.  Looking forward to trying the new settings. 

I do have a sleep study coming up on the 2nd of March.  Seems like this practice wants to help. I had 3 other studies by a different practice in the last year but their equipment failed the last 2 times. 

Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you're either very knowledgeable or lucky cuz I had the best sleep last night in a month.  No air pressure blasts, no reason to wake up till my bladder insisted.  Thanks so much. Of course I know I need to monitor my numbers but don't fear, I'll be back if needed.

I've attached last night's data reports so if I need to make any changes let me know. 

Post Reply Post Reply
This looks much better. I'm going with knowledgeable in this case because my batting average with coaching members seems better than luck would deliver. When I see someone experiencing excessive events with ASV, I will nearly always ask for a reduced minimum PS., A PS min of 5.0 is pretty high for most and can cause problems. Your current chart looks much more comfortable and the new minimum pressure support gives you more room for spontaneous breathing. I would let this settle in as it seems to be pretty effective.

If I was to suggest something to try later on, it would be an increase in the PS max to 9.0. Keeping or rejecting that change should be based on comfort. Keep going as-is for now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2023, 12:39 PM)Danno75 Wrote: Well, you're either very knowledgeable or lucky cuz I had the best sleep last night in a month.  

Sleeprider is the Josey Wales of cpap. You’re in good hands now unless you start whistling Dixie.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
outstanding that you got best sleep.  
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
Angry Air blasts keep waking me up yorkrambler 3 2,079 08-24-2021, 08:54 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,349 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,350 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.