Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Brand new CPAP user with questions
RE: Brand new CPAP user with questions
(09-24-2014, 12:15 PM)Jabi Wrote: Retired_guy - Great information! Thanks. I didn't realize that the CA's could go up as a result of increasing pressure. I'll dial it back to what you suggested and make small changes from there. I was actually looking at nasal masks on line yesterday thinking that that may work better for me, so I may try one soon. I don't believe I have any respiratory issues as I am in pretty good shape, at the proper weight for my height, never smoked, don't drink, and I stay active and excercise. I just feel like when I exhale that I am not putting out as much exhailation pressure during the last half of my exhale as the CPAP is forcing into the mask. Kind of like trying to fill a tire when the tire has more pressure in it than the air compressor is putting out.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll put them to work!

Remember, that with the exception of the inhale/exhale ration, the first night after you make changes will not generally give a good record of what your experience will be. You need to run for maybe 3 nights to see how you're doing.

(09-24-2014, 12:48 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(09-24-2014, 10:32 AM)retired_guy Wrote: But even there, I'm not comfortable with your reporting how difficult it is to exhale. So I'm wondering if perhaps you should consider a different type of mask. Either a nasal mask or a pillows mask. At the bare minimum I think it would be a good idea for you to find your favorite comfy chair recliner (hopefully) and sleep in it for a day or two at the new settings until you get used to exhaling as much as you inhale.

I find it very difficult to believe that the mask is making it difficult to exhale. The Mirage Quattro has a lot of vent area compared to masks of other types and so should make it a little easier to exhale. I would look at pressures first and a medical check up.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I agree Payton that it's not likely a mask issue per se', but a change to a different kind of mask may alter the body's tendencies as to how to relate to the mask during inhale/exhale, and therefor change the ideology of the experience. (I do not know what that means......)
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I agree Payton that it's not likely a mask issue per se', but a change to a different kind of mask may alter the body's tendencies as to how to relate to the mask during inhale/exhale, and therefor change the ideology of the experience. (I do not know what that means......)

Wow, that's getting really deep retired_guy:-) Payton - I am going to experiment, slowly, with the pressures since I have now been educated on it by you guys. I'll report back after a few days and hopefully have some better results. Thanks for all the help and for taking the time to share your knowledge!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2014, 12:58 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I agree Payton that it's not likely a mask issue per se', but a change to a different kind of mask may alter the body's tendencies as to how to relate to the mask during inhale/exhale, and therefor change the ideology of the experience. (I do not know what that means......)

Me tooooo.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 340 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,457 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,022 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,003 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,588 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.