Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] CPAP pressure adjust
CPAP pressure adjust
Hi Guys

This is my first post so I'm very sorry if I have posted it in the incorrect place.

Basically I was wondering if anyone would be able to assist. I reside in the UK and have been on CPAP now for a couple of years. Last Friday, I visited my CPAP provider who changed the pressure on my CPAP from 12 fixed to 4-20 auto. I have since contacted the provider to see if I can get the pressure changed back to 12 fixed as I think it is a fairly simple change which can be done through just the sd card. However, my provider wants me to book an appointment just to have the pressure changed. So my question is this. Is there any software, i.e. sleepyhead, encore etc that I can change the pressure setting on the sd card myself?

BTW, I use a Phillips respironics system one auto.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP pressure adjust
At the top of the page here you will find a link to 'CPAP Setup Manuals'. There you will find brief instructions on how to access the 'Clinicians Menu' for your machine, as well as instructions on how to download or request the complete manual for your machine. That will allow you to make all the changes possible.

The Sleepyhead software can be found through the adjacent link. It will not change any settings on your card, but rather allows you to see, in a very usable form, all the data collected by your xPAP machine. Many Board members here use it; there is an extensive help thread, and more advice availible on the fly as you need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
While you are taking care of things yourself... You might try an auto recipe that starts with a more reasonable pressure of 8 or 9 and a max of 14 just to see what your pressure needs are now, but without suffocating at 4 or blowing your head off at 20 Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jawz15,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Jawz, the pressure can be adjusted directly on the machine. In some cases the settings are programmed via the SD card. You can determine which it is by removing the card, changing a setting a setting or two, then re-inserting the card and seeing if the settings revert back to what they had been set at. If they don't revert back, then you know that the card is not controlling the machine settings.

I know someone with a Respironics machine who kept changing her humidification setting on her machine, only to have it automatically switch back to the programmed setting each time she put the card back in the machine --- this was one of those cases where the card settings were controlling the machine settings. She got around this problem by buying a cheap generic SD card and putting that in the machine, whereupon the "balance of power" shifted back to the machine. Smile

I agree with the idea of using a much narrower pressure range than 4-20. Especially when you're used to a steady, fixed pressure. You can figure this out and adjust your settings without schlepping the machine back to the DME!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2015, 09:52 AM)pholynyk Wrote: At the top of the page here you will find a link to 'CPAP Setup Manuals'. There you will find brief instructions on how to access the 'Clinicians Menu' for your machine, as well as instructions on how to download or request the complete manual for your machine. That will allow you to make all the changes possible.

The Sleepyhead software can be found through the adjacent link. It will not change any settings on your card, but rather allows you to see, in a very usable form, all the data collected by your xPAP machine. Many Board members here use it; there is an extensive help thread, and more advice availible on the fly as you need it.

Hi Pholynyk

I can adjust the pressure through the CPAP machine itself, however when the memory card is reinserted, the pressure will revert to the stored settings on the SD card.
(08-13-2015, 10:01 AM)DariaVader Wrote: While you are taking care of things yourself... You might try an auto recipe that starts with a more reasonable pressure of 8 or 9 and a max of 14 just to see what your pressure needs are now, but without suffocating at 4 or blowing your head off at 20 Smile

Thanks for the response DariaVader. I agree with you, a smaller range would be better than a fixed setting. I just need to figure out how to change the setting
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2015, 02:49 AM)kaiasgram Wrote: Jawz, the pressure can be adjusted directly on the machine. In some cases the settings are programmed via the SD card. You can determine which it is by removing the card, changing a setting a setting or two, then re-inserting the card and seeing if the settings revert back to what they had been set at. If they don't revert back, then you know that the card is not controlling the machine settings.

I know someone with a Respironics machine who kept changing her humidification setting on her machine, only to have it automatically switch back to the programmed setting each time she put the card back in the machine --- this was one of those cases where the card settings were controlling the machine settings. She got around this problem by buying a cheap generic SD card and putting that in the machine, whereupon the "balance of power" shifted back to the machine. Smile

I agree with the idea of using a much narrower pressure range than 4-20. Especially when you're used to a steady, fixed pressure. You can figure this out and adjust your settings without schlepping the machine back to the DME!

Hi Kaiasgram

Yes this is the issue with my machine. I can adjust the pressure on the machine and re-insert the memory card and the CPAP will stay at that setting until the machine is powered off. As soon as this happens, the settings revert back to the SD card settings. I thought of getting a generic SD card however the one supplied with the CPAP is respironics branded and is the one that my doctor uses to extract data each time I see him. I was just wondering if I'd be able to obtain and use the same software that the medical staff have access to in order to change the setting on the card.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2015, 07:13 AM)Jawz15 Wrote: Hi Pholynyk
I can adjust the pressure through the CPAP machine itself, however when the memory card is reinserted, the pressure will revert to the stored settings on the SD card
You might need a new SD card, you can also make the changes and use the machine without the SD card but that might put you in strife with the provider. Using the machine without the SD card would not affect compliance and therapy data, next time you put the card back in the machine, the machine write that sort of data on the SD card but not detailed data, as detailed data written directly on the SD card and not stored on the machine (that is the case with ResMed machines)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jawz!

Welcome

I prefer to start out with low pressure setting = 7 and high = 11

If after a week your AHI is less than 5, you're good!

If not then you can bump up to 8 - 12 and see how that works.

keep an eye you your leaks and dont try to up your pressure too fast and you'll be fine.

Hang in there!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 12 244 Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 148 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 268 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 313 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 500 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 204 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 432 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.