Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Can someone help me adjust my BPAP pressure settings?
Question 
Can someone help me adjust my BPAP pressure settings?
Dear apnea group,

I have been struggling over the years with CPAP and finally got a BPAP about a year ago. My AHI numbers used to be off the charts and for whatever reason I could not make it through the night with a CPAP. With my BPAP, my AHI numbers have come down from 30-40 range to now ranging from 7-12.

Here are my settings... any advise would be great. 

My doctor suggested:
Mode: AutoBiLevel
Min EPAP: 8.00
Max IPAP: 12.00

But to be honest, he didn't care to see my SleepHead data I brought in and spent all of 5 minutes with me.

Therefore since I know little about this, perhaps some experienced CPAP/BPAP users may be able to help me improve my scores getting the AHI numbers below 5.0?

As you suggested; here is a screenshot of my recent sleep data where I scored a 7.59 (this is pretty good score for me although I'd like to improve it).

The only other thing is I feel as if I'm not getting enough air when I inhale.

An off topic subject was my experience using the ozone cleaning device that I developed allergy to. (I spent a lot of time tracking that down, and just in case anyone else is having allergic reactions issues, I may be  able to help).  Thanks. Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can someone help me adjust my BPAP pressure settings?
There are a couple things going on here. The obstructive apnea suggest a need for higher EPAP, and the clusters of those apnea are an indication of chin-tucking or what we call positional apnea. Read the two wikis below with a focus on the "pattern" for positional apnea, and if you think the collar fits, wear it.
Positional apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft cervical collar: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

I think we need to increase your EPAP min to 9.0 and even out the pressure support. A higher minimum pressure support will help prevent hypopnea, so use PS min of 3.0 rather than 2.0. I have a preference for fixed pressure support, but for now you can just narrow the range. Finally to make all this work we need to take the maximum pressure or IPAP to 16.0. Your doctor has you on autoBiPAP but with a minimum pressure of 8.0, and maximum PS of 4.0, it becomes fixed pressure. You really need to open up the top end (IPAP) for the pressure support to work and for the machine to respond to the obstructive events. Finally, roll the BiFlex back to 2. I always found BiFlex at 3 caused sync problems.

In summary"
mode: BiPAP auto
EPAP min: 9.0
IPAP max 16.0
PS min 3.0
PS max 4.0
BiFlex: 2
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much Sleep Rider! I will try that tonight and keep the thread updated to any improvements... much appreciated for such a quick response!  
Mahalo! Thanks Thanks Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid254972

2 years ago in the post linked to I answered that you needed a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. I see you are on a Respironics BPAP still. It may be that an ASV is not needed, but the screenshot is only one night. Central apnea will change nightly when not treated by an ASV. Even so, you didn't change to a ResMed. So you know what they say about not changing things and expecting different results? You need a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto if you do not need CA treatment, and the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV if you need to address CA. As it's been about 2 or more years on the prior suggestions, don't you think it is time to act on advice given?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh and thank you for the link to the collar... I followed the instruction of sitting upright in a chair and this seems to apply to me. I'm going to order one of those as well. Thanks so much Sleeprider!!! Mahalo Thanks Thanks  Thanks

Oh and thank you for the link to the collar... I followed the instruction of sitting upright in a chair and this seems to apply to me. I'm going to order one of those as well. Thanks so much Sleeprider!!! Mahalo [Image: thanks.gif] [Image: thanks.gif]  [Image: thanks.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Dave... I was able to do a second sleep study and my doctor allowed me to change to the BPAP. It has helped a lot. He wouldn't let me get the more expensive machine and I wasn't able to choose brands (I wanted a RedMed). But thank you for reminding me, and switching from a CPAP to a BPAP has helped me a lot! Thank you!!! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
If the subject comes up about machines and therapy, I have found that the doctor cannot dictate brand without your consent. I don't accept machines that I don't accept. Try to work with doc but the bottom line it's on you to accept or reject the machine offered. I choose supplier based on whether or not they offer the machine I feel I need. That's what I had to do myself. Hopefully the advice helps.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider... 

I just ordered the:

Velpeau Neck Brace -Foam Cervical Collar - Soft Neck Support Relieves Pain & Pressure in Spine - Wraps Aligns Stabilizes Vertebrae - Can Be Used During Sleep (Comfort, Blue, Large, 3.3″)"

I will give it a try when it arrives on Dec 5th and will report any improvements! Thanks

Thank you for that Dave.
My device is renewable in two more years (and I'll request ResMed then), but I may just instead get an out-of-pocket refurbished unit that you recommended from the link supplied.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is some clustering of the OA events, and we see that a lot. I really think the other adjustments are going to help as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again... much appreciated for your help. Looking forward to better sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,562 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 223 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 404 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 363 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 316 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Smile pleasse help me optimize my APAP pressure settings Swsch2985 2 362 01-14-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.