Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Can't feel air pressure to my nose
Can't feel air pressure to my nose
My mask shows a happy mask -- it fits well.  I can feel/hear the whoosh of air from within the mask (and nothing is escaping from the elbow or hose).  

However, I don't feel like I have to breathe - like there's no air getting into my nose (or mouth).  Am I to feel some air (pressure) to make me inhale?

I take deep breaths - no change.  Will the pressure change after I've gone to sleep???

This is new to me and I've searched online with no answers.

Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't feel air pressure to my nose
I perceive a pressure of 6 cmh20 as 'wafting' into my nose, 8 as a gentle flow and 10 like someone stuffed the air pump at the gas station up my nose.
I say 'perceive' because all three pressures are about the same as you would need to blow bubbles through a straw in a juice glass. Pretty close to nothing.
The pressure will likely change after you sleep..the machine will adjust based on reductions in airflow and snores.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is your machine fixed at a single pressure of 6?

I know from my own experience that i was unable to breathe with the mask on when my starting pressure was 6 and kept pulling the mask off in my sleep.......so i increased my pressure settings.

The sleep clinic set my initial settings at a min 4 and max of 13.6 based on my sleep study, but i soon found this to be not the correct settings as i could not get enough air to breathe with the mask on so increased the min to 6 and max to 15........this was initially better but then i found it difficult to breathe again so increased the settings to min 7 and max of 17 and that so far appears to be ideal for me.

I am sure that i can fine tune these settings further but for now it works and my AHI are consistently below 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2020, 07:46 AM)BreatheRight Wrote: My mask shows a happy mask -- it fits well. 

That's good, but to really be sure you need to look at your leak rate graph on your computer using OSCAR.

Quote:I can feel/hear the whoosh of air from within the mask (and nothing is escaping from the elbow or hose).  

However, I don't feel like I have to breathe - like there's no air getting into my nose (or mouth).  Am I to feel some air (pressure) to make me inhale?

No, not necessarily. The purpose of your CPAP machine is not to force air into your lungs. Its purpose is to keep the passageway open so that when you try to draw a breath into your lungs the passageway won't block the flow of air.

Quote:I take deep breaths - no change.  Will the pressure change after I've gone to sleep???

No. If you have the ramp set to "on" your pressure will start at 4 and ramp up to 6 in the set amount of time. Since your pressure is so low you can probably turn the ramp off if it's not already set to "off".
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BreatheRight,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Can you tell us which AirSense machine you have?  The AirSense 10 Cpap (No data capability),
AirSense 10 elite (straight pressure machine), or AirSense 10 AutoSet or AutoSet for her. (Full data capable, variable pressure machine).

As far as breathing goes...you are breathing, because if you weren't, well you wouldn't be posting this.  Smile

All you need do is relax and breathe normally, the machine has no capability to initiate a breath.

I do suspect that a pressure of 6 is a bit too low and you may be feeling starved for air.  

Once you let us know if you have a data capable machine, download the OSCAR software.  Be sure there is an SD card in your machine so you can upload data to the software program.

From there, use the links in my signature line to guide you on how to Organize the daily page, take a screenshot and post that data here.  

Also, order the Clinicians Manual (state the exact machine name) when ordering.

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2020, 08:49 AM)harrywr2 Wrote: The pressure will likely change after you sleep..the machine will adjust based on reductions in airflow and snores.

That is true for the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset, but it is not true for the ResMed AirSense 10.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2020, 10:06 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(02-02-2020, 08:49 AM)harrywr2 Wrote: The pressure will likely change after you sleep..the machine will adjust based on reductions in airflow and snores.

That is true for the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset, but it is not true for the ResMed AirSense 10.

ResMed AirSense 10 is a model line with 4 models, including the AutoSet.

CPAP - crap - no data you do NOT ever want this machine
Elite - a CPAP only machine with data
AutoSet - the APAP/Auto CPAP machine  You want this  or the below
AutoSet for Her - same as above but with an extra mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply!

I have the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset with a ResMed AirTouch F20 mask

I'll check out OSCAR to get more detailed information - appreciate the suggestion.

And I will increase my pressure tonight.

Another reason I am reaching out to you all --- my machine has 'shut off' numerous times.  I contacted the Clinician; checked my reports and there was a 'gap of spaces' noted during the 6-7 hours (not only one night but several).  He stated if I continued to have issues, my unit would be replaced.  I don't want to complain daily to him but if I know what to look for and how the breathing pattern is to be, I can know if the issues are on MY side or a faulty machine.  And if it's on the machine side, we can go ahead and change it out.  Hopefully the increase in pressure will give me better results --- I'm up for trying.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Check to see if the Smart Start feature is enabled/disabled. The machine may be shutting off if it's not detecting a breath, then starting back up when it detects a breath.

Did you have an overnight sleep study done? Did your report show any Central Apnea?
If you have a copy, you can post those results here so we can better advise.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2020, 03:42 PM)BreatheRight Wrote: I have the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset

I suggest you change your profile and list your machine type as the ResMed A10 Autoset.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 172 8 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.