Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Centrals increasing; new to BiPap
RE: Centrals increasing; new to BiPap
OK, Let's see if I have this straight.  

On the clinical settings panel, this is what the readings should be set to:

Present reading:

Max IPAP = 18.0  change to 12.0

Max EPAP = 11.0  change to 8.0

Pressure = 3.0     change to 1.0 or 0

I just want to be certain I'm understanding this correctly, so I don't set something wrong.  Everything else should remain the same.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
That's correct. The higher pressures are a problem for people with CA, and you should experience some relief, at least based on what I've seen with other members I have worked with here. A few might chime in and verify. I can't say that we can coach a cure to central apena using a bilevel, but we might get a little closer to where you need to be.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would still be a good idea to post your chart here.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Correct Sleeprider. I know I'm over on ASV now, but with the BiPAP we had to tweak the settings downwards to avoid Centrals as a temporary fix for me. I'm thinking IPAP max was the most important one in my case, but it's been a few months time. Oldtimers kicked in so that's as best as I recall.

Dave
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my problem, and my wife has a tech guy that has told her he'd help.  Somehow, when she downloaded Sleepyhead, the first day she was "messing" with it, the tabs at the top of the page stopped working.  So, right now, she can't even "quit" Sleepyhead, she has to shut down the computer to do that.  Otherwise, the directions are straight forward to post a screenshot.  

Today, she tried dumping the old "Sleepyhead" in the trash, deleting it, and then downloading it again.  According to her, when she downloaded the new program, the computer somehow remembered the old program, and the data was all there, including the inability to  access "File", "View", "Data" and "Help".  My wife says this happened when she looked at the data in "Overview" form;  it's like it's locked, somehow.  

If anyone has any ideas on what to do with Sleepyhead, holler away Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help on this.  I know that we asked what the diagnosis was when we picked up the machine, since we still haven't seen the doctor, and my wife asked about central sleep apnea specifically, since I never snored.  The technician told us the diagnosis was Obstructive Sleep Apnea and that there was no mention of central sleep apnea or mixed sleep apnea.  He did state that there were 53 events per hour, with 8 centrals.  Time will tell, I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2017, 03:35 PM)cdbeardie Wrote: Here's my problem, and my wife has a tech guy that has told her he'd help.  Somehow, when she downloaded Sleepyhead, the first day she was "messing" with it, the tabs at the top of the page stopped working.  So, right now, she can't even "quit" Sleepyhead, she has to shut down the computer to do that.  Otherwise, the directions are straight forward to post a screenshot.  

Today, she tried dumping the old "Sleepyhead" in the trash, deleting it, and then downloading it again.  According to her, when she downloaded the new program, the computer somehow remembered the old program, and the data was all there, including the inability to  access "File", "View", "Data" and "Help".  My wife says this happened when she looked at the data in "Overview" form;  it's like it's locked, somehow.  

If anyone has any ideas on what to do with Sleepyhead, holler away Smile

Start a new thread in the software board to get answers on fixing your problems with SleepyHead. You'll get answers from the Computer Nerds that hang out there.   Bigwink
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The user profiles are saved in My Documents/Sleepyheadxxx. The easiest way to nuke the old profile and settings is to rename that directory to something like OLD_Sleepyhead. Once you create a new profile and import data, every thing will work, but if any data is missing, there are ways to recover it from the OLD file.

Nerds indeed!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before you do anything drastic with SleepyHead,  just press the F12 F11 function button on your computer. It sounds like you have SleepyHead stuck in full screen mode.

You should get hold of your full sleep study report and post it here. Central apnea is somewhat uncommon and a lot of doctors and techs just regard all apnea as obstructive (this happened to me) . An awful lot of people waste an awful lot of time and money because of this inability to see beyond the more common diagnosis.

Based on what you've told us I can see an ASV machine in your future. You probably need to have a deep & meaningful discussion with your part time sleep doc to see if she is really up to the challenge of diagnosing and treating central /mixed apnea, and shepherding you through the insurance labyrinth.

Edit: It's the F11 key, not F12
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2017, 06:56 PM)cdbeardie Wrote: Well, I am certainly hoping that is not the case, as my heart ejection fraction is less than 50%, and I don't want a machine like the ASV to kill me?  I may just have to discontinue and take my chances.  I do feel better with the therapy, though, I must admit.  My wife has been working with my data on  Sleepyhead, and she noticed that the CA's do appear to coincide with massive mask leaks, which I still have a number of.  My Resmed machine gives me a smiley face, but Sleepyhead says my leaks are " horrible".  It's a puzzle, and I appreciate the support here!

It looks like an ASV won't be in your future, but you should be able to use a S/T (bilevel/bipap with back up breathing rate that will breathe for you when you get a CA) or possibly an avaps/ivaps if it can be justified. These will effectively treat CA if they can't be managed with your BPAP.
I would change doctors because someone new and one day a week wouldn't have the experience in complicated cases. Hopefully your insurance will cover some more sleep tests.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 392 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,818 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 273 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 237 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.