Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Changing Max Pressure and starting a BiPAP trial
RE: Changing Max Pressure and starting a BiPAP trial
Let's agree to use some consistent terminology. Since you are moving between the Autoset and Vauto, let's use bilevel terms for both. In your recent CPAP trial your final pressure was 13.4/10.4 (IPAP/EPAP), or EPAP 10.4, IPAP 13.4 at PS 3.0. If we move that to a Vauto with PS 4.0, then we're talking about EPAP min 10.0, IPAP max 18.0, at PS 4.0. If you want to move upwards more gradually, as we should with titration, then start with EPAP 8.0 before progressing to 9.0 or 10.0. As I suggested earlier, the next step should be EPAP min 8.0, IPAP max 15.0 and PS 4.0. Try that first and we can judge those results before making further changes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the approach of starting with EPAP 8.0, PS 4.0 and IPAP max 18.0 and see how it goes tonight. Thanks Sleeprider!
Post Reply Post Reply
Third night of BiPAP

Changes from second night: increased min EPAP to 8 cm (was 5), decreased PS to 4 cm (was 5).

BiPAP Results: AHI = 11.3 (was 19.6 second night), Central 2.4   wearing CVS Soft Cervical Collar.
Brief interruption in sleep around 22:38 to release air build up in my stomach during a long cluster. 

AutoCPAP History:  AHI = 7.2 (Max Pressure 16 cm), Central = 2.2 (numbers are a 9 day average)
I'm testing the BiPAP looking for an improvement over my AutoCPAP device.

BiPAP Therapy settings 
Mode: VAuto
Max IPAP: 15.0
Min EPAP: 8.0
PS: 4.0
Ti Max: 3.0s
Ti Min: 0.3s
Trigger: Med
Cycle: Med
Mask: Pillows

From a previous post, OA may be treated with an IPAP of 13.0, so for tonight I might try Min EPAP 9.0, PS 4.0, max IPAP 18.0

Appreciate any suggestions from the board.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The problem remains positional. Higher EPAP pressure treats OA, but it's better to resolve the positional apnea with an appropriate countermeasure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice Sleeprider.

The data for the third night was with a CVS Soft Cervical Collar (SCC), not the best aid, but a better one might show up today. I've read the wiki page on Positional Apnea, and the great results that some members have experienced with a SCC, but it may not work for everyone. Are there other positional aids?

Should I implement an aid to prevent sleeping on my back?  Before I started on CPAP, the sleep doctor wanted me to sleep on my side. My wife had long wanted the same thing since I snored when I was on my back, and didn't when I was on my side, so I would often get a nudge in the night to turn on my side. CPAP completely eliminated snoring, so that was good for both of us. The aid I purchased had a substantial wedge on the back and rubber coated (for grip) elastic straps around the chest to hold the wedge on my back. I should have purchased the model that had short sleeves to anchor the aid to my shoulders because sometimes I would wake up and the wedge had rotated to my side. I'm willing to try that again.

I could get two long body pillows to make a pillow sandwich where I am the meat, lying on my side, with one pillow pushed against the wall and my arms around the other pillow.

Maybe I can do another home sleep study, or purchase an orientation sensor to strap to my chest to get data to correlate sleep position with OA events.

Appreciate any guidance on figuring out how to reduce OA clusters.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't need a body pillow...I have this.

[Image: 6P3YQ3zh.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I could borrow my brother's for the trial...

Post Reply Post Reply
Keep your private parts covered with a Chihuahua. They nip. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider and Gideon, you guys rock! You were right when you looked at my data and saw a strong positional apnea signal.

Fourth night of BiPAP

Changes from third night: left side sleeping with a soft cervical collar.  Position maintained by my back pushed against pillows on a wall, and thick pillows in front to support my chest, arm and leg.

BiPAP Results: AHI = 1.6 (was 11.3 third night), Central 0.9  

AutoCPAP History:  AHI = 7.2 (Max Pressure 16 cm), Central = 2.2 (numbers are a 9 day average)
I'm testing the BiPAP looking for an improvement over my AutoCPAP device.

BiPAP Therapy settings 
Mode: VAuto
Max IPAP: 18.0
Min EPAP: 9.0
PS: 4.0
Ti Max: 3.0s
Ti Min: 0.3s
Trigger: Med
Cycle: Med
Mask: Pillows

I wish I could plot the OSCAR data, but I forgot to return the SD card to the device!

Below is the 1 day summary data recorded on the device.
Pressure 14.0
Exp. Pressure 10.1
Leak 0
Vt 520 ml
RR 12
MV 6.5 L/min
Ti 1.5s
I:E 1:2.2
Spont Cyc 99.0%
AHI 1.6
Total AI 1.6
Central AI 0.9

I will make sure the SD card is in tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear you finally trapped the adversary, positional apnea. Sounds like we're on-track now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 3 91 6 hours ago
Last Post: sabletaurus
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,096 Today, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 14 773 Yesterday, 10:42 PM
Last Post: apneavolt
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 0 69 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  Starting Again wxmcpo 10 132 04-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 14 833 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: redking2436
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 353 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.