Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Confused
Confused
Hi all, I am fairly new to this and thought someone could explain my confusion about my pressure. I am 7 to 12 which I guess is working OK based on my 'score' on MyAir. (I tried to get SleepyHead but there was a problem and it wouldn't download. Will soon be getting a new computer and will try to get the program then.) My AHI was 57 (so 'very severe') but according to 'MyAir' things are going well and I am usually under 3 AHIs every night with not too much leaking with my nasal pillows. (Average about 6.)
But here's the question: I start out the night in a semi-reclined position watching TV. I fall asleep in that position and will wake up around 2:00 am and switch to my side.When I am watching TV I check my pressure and it gets to 7 and stays there for awhile. But then before I go to sleep I'll look again and it's at 11.7. Why would it go up while I'm still awake and am obviously not experiencing any apnea events. It makes me wonder if it's even working right, but according to 'MyAir' and my doctor everything is dandy. Any thoughts? (I love this forum.) SleepyTimeGal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Confused
Everything probably is dandy. As you rest watching TV, you are relaxing. Likely you are getting some flow limitation which is a signal to increase pressure.
Watching TV is not the best sleep hygiene. Too much blue light in the eye.

Now, watch an episode of 24... I bet you won't relax watching that show. Big Grin
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks JustMongo, That makes sense. I usually look just before I drift off - I know I'll soon be asleep so tissues are probably relaxing. Contrary to the information out there, TV viewing relaxes me. I watch old sitcoms: "King of Queens," "Everybody Love Raymond", "Seinfeld." I've seen them all before so I don't ever try to stay awake to see how it ends - I already know. The humor takes my mind off the equipment which I have not yet embraced. Also, I live alone so appreciate the 'company.' During the day I don't want the company, but late at night the house is a bit spooky.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been watching the old Frasier episodes. I never watched it when it was over the air. I just stream them.
Some good humor there. But, I do shut it down before I mask up. That way I'm programmed to sleep when the mask goes on. Sort of like Pavlov's dog.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
There is sleep apnea and there is apnea or flow restriction. You are semi-reclined and relaxing, no surprise you get flow limitations. If you get those the pressure will increase to attempt to stop them from happening. The machine does not know if you are asleep or awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
JustMongo, The way it works for me: Using the mask has taken the fun out of my bedtime, so I need to spice it up with some TV, else there wouldn't be anything to motivate me to go through the ritual of getting ready for bed. I have quite a bedtime procedure, excluding the masking up. So I need an incentive to get me through it. A few good laughs on old sitcoms is just enough to get me going.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PoolQ - It makes sense, as I notice the increase in pressure when I feel I am just about ready to doze. I guess I thought there wasn't any restriction until I went into deep sleep. I don't feel any kind of restriction before I fall asleep. But I was never aware I had any kind of problem except for people telling me I snored, and I wanted an afternoon nap (but could manage without one). I was very surprised to hear that my AHI was 57. (I told the doctor I thought that was wrong. He showed me my sleep test.)
This forum has been so helpful to me. My respiratory therapist is not helpful and my doctor doesn't have a lot of time for 'small' apnea issues. I really needed some support in the beginning with equipment issues, etc. (I was a guest for awhile before I became sleepytimegal.)
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepytimegal,
Glad you decided to join. Ask questions anytime, we're here to help.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 291 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 356 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,085 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 717 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 525 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and confused Retvet72 3 465 07-18-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  A little confused. David Clark 12 907 06-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.