Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure Difference Btwn P10 & DreamWear
Question 
Pressure Difference Btwn P10 & DreamWear
I just got a P10 to try, since it's spoken of so highly here. I really liked it!  Although it does cover a LOT of square footage at my upper lip, which is kind of annoying.

Anyway, my DreamWear mask keeps me at a 90% pressure around 7-8.  But the P10 was a 90% of 11 (which might be the max I have my Auto set at, I can't remember).

I had the same AHI as normal with my DreamWear. 

Is that normal for the pressure to need to be much higher with the P10 than the DreamWear?  I had assumed it would be the opposite. 

P.S. I left the mask setting on x1, which is what I use for DreamWear.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure Difference Btwn P10 & DreamWear
Most people find they need about 2-3 cm less with the P10.

BTW, resistance is futile.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2017, 08:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Most people find they need about 2-3 cm less with the P10.

BTW, resistance is futile.

Ok, interesting. Maybe it'll even out in a few days. 

Bwahahaha. Well, I figured I ought to at least give it a chance. (At first when I read what you wrote, I thought you meant EPR. LOL)

I have large nostrils, so I just jumped straight to a large. It's comfy.  Is there any trick to it, besides just plopping it to my nostrils and going to sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh man! You're going to like it...

good night! Enjoy breathing again.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrangea,
You might want to consider turning the mask resistance setting to off, since you are not using a respironics mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrangea - I'm not sure what your leaks look like with the p10 but I myself switched from dreamwear to the p10. I found that when the leaks were controlled the p10 would often be lower than the dreamwear (like Sleeprider suggested) but when I had large leaks it could be quite a bit higher.

I found dreamwear to be pretty consistent for me with regards to leaks, and initially I had trouble controlling the leaks on the p10. I will say though that once the leaks were under control, the p10 is literally the best mask out there.

Good luck with it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input, all.

I want to try P10 for a week before uploading my data, so I can have a week's worth to compare with my DreamWear data. So I'm holding out on Sleepyhead, and just seeing the major stats on my machine's screen.

The 1st night, I read half of the instruction booklet for the P10, and last night I read the other half. I think that may have helped, because I think I may have worn the P10 upside-down the 1st night. So, maybe that would explain the higher pressure? I also hadn't thought it was quite as quiet as people say.

So last night I wore them right-side-up, and my 90% pressure was 7.4... and most happily, the side of it didn't rest on my upper lip the whole night! Buuut, wow, the prongs really hurt my nares when I took them off for a morning restroom trip, and when I put them back on to go back to sleep I just couldn't handle it (the skin was too sensitive).

So, maybe it was upside-down the first night (I don't know, but I'm pretty sure).
Post Reply Post Reply
I've done that with my Nuance. Could not figure out why it just would not settle!

Careful with sores. If it is from the mask (which it probably is), it can get worse. You can try Lanolin or Ayr nasal gel. Put it on first then the mask. And probably reapply in the morning.

Also go to YouTube and see if there is a video (or 12) that demonstrates how to assemble it. Make sure you are doing it right. I've had to do that several times after cleaning a mask and suddenly it doesn't all fit back together.

Another thing is to try a different size pillow. It could be a different size won't put pressure on that spot.

The P10 is the only nasal pillows to give me a sore because the stupid headgear pulled too tight.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula - Thanks! Good tips!

I have very sensitive skin. So I will definitely avoid letting a sore fester. Thank you.

I am thinking I may order the PadACheek cover for it. And considering how sensitive my skin is, I might order several covers so I can rotate them each night and wash them in between. (But I don't know how much $ they are, so that may not be feasible. I need to check it out.)

I started with the large pillow, so I'll try the medium tonight and see if that helps. Honestly, when I tried them on, they all felt fine - the difference to me seems that they point more inward as they get smaller... which means I need to angle them to be more parallel... Maybe that's where the pressure point is (they are trying to go back to their non parallel position). Hmmm... I will experiment.

My DreamWear makes it obvious where to put what (with the arrows pointing to each other) and which way is up... and so does the Amara View that I use sometimes. So I was a bit disoriented with the pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 pillows are marked on one side with an L for left and an R for right.

Hold the mask in front of your face with the L & R facing your nose.  Place it under you nose while pulling the straps over your head.  

When in place properly, look in the mirror.  You should "not" see the L & R, because it is against your skin.  

It also helps to use the mask fit check.  You can gently wiggle the pillow and adjust straps to get a better seal during the mask fit check.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 246 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 291 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 9 1,055 02-20-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,629 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 594 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.